• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is 1 midnight blue tux in wedding party ok?

TwoFours

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
My best friend is getting married and I'm best man. We're wearing tuxes and so he said since he was buying one for himself for the wedding he'd buy mine as my groomsmen gift. I kind of want a midnight blue tux. He doesn't. Would it look silly if I was in midnight blue and he was in black? Also, the wedding party consists of me and the brides brother who already owns a tux. Should we try to buy a tux that matches his? (I'm pretty sure he has peak lapel, single button which from reading black tie guide is clearly the way to go so no issue there I guess). Thanks in advance gents.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,854
No one will notice.
 

TwoFours

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Manton
No one will notice.

Awesome, thank you. Now to find a some what cheap midnight blue tux...which may not be possible. I know indochino makes one for a decent price. Maybe I'll look into that.
 

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 3, 2009
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
68
I'd be interested to know where you find a thrifty midnight blue tux.
 

TwoFours

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
I'd be interested to know where you find a thrifty midnight blue tux.

Seems like it'll be quite difficult.
 

stant62

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
1,042
Reaction score
39
I would get the PRL classic tux and be done with it.
 

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
3,318
Reaction score
1,364
If he's buying it for you, and it's his wedding, I'd say go with what he (or the bride) would rather you do. If they insist on you having black, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it; after all, dude is paying for your tux. If they don't seem to mind, or you convince him (I find it hard to believe that if the bride wants you to wear a black tux, you could convince her of anything else) then by all means find yourself a midnight blue.
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
If he's buying it for you, and it's his wedding, I'd say go with what he (or the bride) would rather you do. If they insist on you having black, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it; after all, dude is paying for your tux. If they don't seem to mind, or you convince him (I find it hard to believe that if the bride wants you to wear a black tux, you could convince her of anything else) then by all means find yourself a midnight blue.

This. The bride's opinion is the only opinion that matters. Ignore us. If she wants you to wear a five-button notch lapel burgundy tux, that's what you're wearing, bucko.
 

TwoFours

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Krish the Fish
If he's buying it for you, and it's his wedding, I'd say go with what he (or the bride) would rather you do. If they insist on you having black, I wouldn't make too much of a fuss over it; after all, dude is paying for your tux. If they don't seem to mind, or you convince him (I find it hard to believe that if the bride wants you to wear a black tux, you could convince her of anything else) then by all means find yourself a midnight blue.

yeah i tried to convince him the other day but he stood his ground. Guess I have to give up my dream..lol..
 

Matt S

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2009
Messages
923
Reaction score
15
Does he even know what midnight blue really is? 9 out of 10 people would probably think it's black. However it will usually look a lot nicer than any black one because the colour is much richer. It would surely overtake the groom.
 

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
1,491
Reaction score
48
Originally Posted by bleachboy
This. The bride's opinion is the only opinion that matters. Ignore us. If she wants you to wear a five-button notch lapel burgundy tux, that's what you're wearing, bucko.

Maybe it's because I am young and naive and think of marriage as a thing for old people, but Fuk that shit! It's always about looking good on the Style Forum (at least for oneself) than about some one cow who has been bought.






 

IronRock

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
373
Reaction score
11
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Maybe it's because I am young and naive and think of marriage as a thing for old people, but Fuk that shit! It's always about looking good on the Style Forum (at least for oneself) than about some one cow who has been bought.


+1

Convince the groom to go nidnight blue then tell the bride you are the worlds expert cos you are a member of SF, show her the black tie guide, and tell her the photos will look much better if groom wears Mid-nite B.

Bon chance
 

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,800
Reaction score
27
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Maybe it's because I am young and naive and think of marriage as a thing for old people, but Fuk that shit! It's always about looking good on the Style Forum (at least for oneself) than about some one cow who has been bought.

Hey, I hear ya. But the thing is, even if the bride writes off on a midnight blue tux, the OP is gonna show up at the wedding looking better than everybody else, and even if she doesn't say anything, she will be screeching like a harpy in her mind, "WHY is this MAN trying to STEAL THE SHOW????? EVERYBODY should be looking at MEEEEE!!" and will hold some kind of minor resentment until the day she dies.
 

TwoFours

Active Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2010
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by IronRock
+1

Convince the groom to go nidnight blue then tell the bride you are the worlds expert cos you are a member of SF, show her the black tie guide, and tell her the photos will look much better if groom wears Mid-nite B.

Bon chance


haha agreed. this tux is going to be with me for a long time (and my buddy) so i'm trying to convince him that Blue is better. He doesn't believe me. I linked him blacktieguide and PTO's black tie post that both state the superiority of midnight blue.

one other thing, I've been a member here since may but never posted because my real name was my login, so i didnt sign up last night like it shows in my info. set up a new name last night to post this specifically.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 16 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 144 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 74 16.8%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 36 8.2%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 26 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 15 3.4%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 13 3.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 27 6.1%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,530
Messages
9,199,905
Members
193,216
Latest member
Faieayhchealk

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top