• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is 1.5m of 60" shirting enough?

msawch

Reaction score
I'm wondering from the shirt making experts on the board if 1.5m of 60" width fabric would be enough for a standard dress shirt with button cuffs. I'm roughly 5'10", 175 pounds with a slim/regular build. I know 1.5m might be pushing it, but I really don't have a frame of reference, so I wanted to put it out there for debate.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Whatever anyone posts in this thread next, be sure to check out the WSJ's reportage of yellow underarm shirting staining first.

It's a must read.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's enough for mafoofan. Probably not for you.

I wouldn't try to bring a shirtmaker less than 2 yards of 60" cloth.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It also depends on the details you are having done such as the type of collar, split yoke cut on the bias, etc.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My gut reaction is no way. I am the same weight as you, but 6" taller, and I need 2.25. 1.5 sounds much too small.

msawch

Reaction score
The fabric in question is SG Chambray (not Will's) in plain light blue. As a preference I don't normally do split yokes, so there might be some fabric saving there.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1.5m for a 15.5" shirt--short-sleeve by any chance? Maybe you could make 10 of them out of 15m, or something. That just sounds hard to believe. I know there's not a chance in hell you could make one of my shirts from 1.5m, though I take a 35" sleeve.

BTW split yoke generally takes less fabric unless you've got to match patterns or put it on the bias.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
have you asked your shirtmaker?
1.5m is tight but doable. plain pattern or non matching stripe. no french cuff. placket front might be better then a french front.

no room for mistakes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads