• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irons

adamsnez

Reaction score
Couldn't find anything in the search. There's more "iron" in SF than you can find in a serving of ground-up thyme spice!

Lookin for some input here. I need an iron (moving out soon). I heard irons with MANY steam holes are better (the one we have at home just has steam ports along the edge, then the rest is the metal surface).

Can you get a decent iron for in the $50 range? I don't have $400 zegna shirts and the likes, but still would like something good for all my dress shirts (read: does not mean i wear Zellers dress shirt brands).

Throw around some input and model numbers, or experience with certain kinds!
Thanks!

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$80, Target, Rowenta Professional, just do it.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Axelman 17
I have had a few Rowantas both of which were in the $50-$100 range. I have no complaints on them, worked well and steam function was effective.

Originally Posted by TCN

Couldn't agree more. They make great irons. My mom does sews as a hobby and as a result she irons all the time. She bought her Rowenta close to 20 years ago and it still works great. I bought mine about five years ago and don't planning on using anything else for years to come.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rowenta makes a good iron. I've had several and can't see myself switching to another brand.

DDSJohnny

Reaction score
for the last year or so, i have been using a jiffy steamer that i purchased from costco online and have had a good experience with it. i used to hate setting up the ironing board and waiting for the iron to heat up. i used to have to get ready for the day with what i'm wearing the night before so that i wouldn't have to wake up an extra 15-30 minutes early to iron my clothes. now, i just flip the switch to turn the steamer on and in within 30 seconds, i have hot steam that takes the wrinkles out of my dress shirts i wear everyday.

i've never had a rowenta, so perhaps it's because i haven't had a quality iron, but i am loving my steamer so far.

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN

Yup. I'm very happy with mine. A little heavy but a great iron. I had a T-fal before this which was $35 and also quite good but much less powerful than the Rowenta.

BTW I also have a jiffy floor model 1 gallon steamer and it is pretty useless for ironing cotton IMHO unless I am doing something wrong. For wool it is amazing.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
Rowenta makes a good iron. I've had several and can't see myself switching to another brand.

I've been using the Rowenta Perfect. Steamer is strong, and is effective as a press iron.

Just add an esteamer and you'll be crisp every day.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
BTW I also have a jiffy floor model 1 gallon steamer and it is pretty useless for ironing cotton IMHO unless I am doing something wrong. For wool it is amazing.

That's basically what it's used for. If you hate it - I'll take it off your hands
smile.gif

Buddy

Reaction score
Some time back, I < BUDDY > went out and bought a nice mid-range Rowenta (steam, burst, etc.). Also bought a nice ironing board and aftermarket ironing board cover. Altogether, a nice system.

I have an assortment of dress shirts I really like (Canali, Zegna, Armani, Hugo Boss Red, RLPL, etc.), . . . these are the shirts I compile into a single load - to launder at home, and hand-iron.

I have another assortment of dress shirts that are nice and all, but are more 'utility' (JW Nordstrom, mostly) . . . these shirts, I drop at the cleaners with my other laundy.

One day . . . one horrible, putrid day (ending in an orgy of self-flagellation/ loathing and alcohol abuse), . . . . I introduced a ball-point pen into my home-laundering . . . .

Anyways, I don't want to talk about it. . . .

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
and get a hefty one, not those light travelling irons- they're crappy with creases.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy
Some time back, I < BUDDY > went out and bought a nice mid-range Rowenta (steam, burst, etc.). Also bought a nice ironing board and aftermarket ironing board cover. Altogether, a nice system.

I have an assortment of dress shirts I really like (Canali, Zegna, Armani, Hugo Boss Red, RLPL, etc.), . . . these are the shirts I compile into a single load - to launder at home, and hand-iron.

I have another assortment of dress shirts that are nice and all, but are more 'utility' (JW Nordstrom, mostly) . . . these shirts, I drop at the cleaners with my other laundy.

One day . . . one horrible, putrid day (ending in an orgy of self-flagellation/ loathing and alcohol abuse), . . . . I introduced a ball-point pen into my home-laundering . . . .

This is the sort of thing that turns people to drugs.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy

Accept my deep sympathy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads