Ironing - I can't stand it!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

May be veering off topic, but does anyone know of a laundry near Boston that presses by hand?

2. bryce330

bryce330 Senior member

I have to disagree with the esteemed Mr. Kabbaz on this point.

Washing a shirt after every wearing strikes me as unnecessary and wasteful. True, a quality shirt may last 50-100 washings, but why shorten the life of the shirt by washing it so frequently?

As far as I'm concerned, the only appropriate answer to the question "when should I wash my shirt?" is "when it is dirty." I always was the shirt at the first sign of visible dirt, however, since I don't really perspire and am not susceptible to the dreaded "ring around the collar", this is often two, three, or more wearings. Even then, the only part of the shirt that shows any dirt is often the cuffs, so I will simply hand wash the cuffs.

3. kabert

kabert Senior member

Then don't iron. Find a cleaners that does a good, careful job. They do exist. Ask around (here.) and ask your tailor what cleaners will do a good job. I've found one here in DC (Chain Bridge Cleaners on MacArthur Blvd, NW).

Also, regarding wearing a shirt more than one day before putting it in the hamper, I will do so sometimes this time of year when sweating is at a minimum. Actually, I used to do this much more, but I find I do it less and less the older I get.

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

I agree.

I wash the collar and cuffs and armpits after several wears.

5. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Isn't Tide on the harsh end of commercial detergents? I would think there are other detergents out there that are better for preserving color.

6. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I agree with you on this one...ironing takes my mind off seemingly intractible problems and gives me time to decompress. I can go back to writing easier after a couple of shirts have been subjugated by their cruel master.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Ironing and doing the dishes is therapuetic for me. [​IMG] koji

8. bch

bch Senior member

I wash and iron all my shirts. You need a decent weighty iron with good steam output. I use a $100 Rowenta. You also need to make sure that your iron pad is not so thin that the holes in your ironing board won't be imprinted on your shirt. Magic Sizing (not starch) sprayed on the shirt before ironing makes ironing a breeze and gives the shirt a little body and wrinkle resistance. As far as I know, sizing does not have the same destructive properties over time that starch has. Starch also is sticky and a pain in the ass because it flakes. I found this to be a good primer: Here Usually takes me less than 10 minutes per shirt. So, figure an hour per week.

9. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

(philosophe @ Feb. 15 2005,21:37) I confess that I find ironing fairly relaxing. Â I'm working on a book and find that ironing is much-needed instant gratification. But it does take time.
    I agree with you on this one...ironing takes my mind off seemingly intractible problems and gives me time to decompress. I can go back to writing easier after a couple of shirts have been subjugated by their cruel master.
    I used to 1) listen to music 2) watch television while ironing. Now my husband does a lot of my ironing without my even asking. [​IMG]

10. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

A member called to R.S.V.P. for the Sartorial Excellence event today with a great idea. Net result - I'll be bringing an iron, a spray bottle ... and my laundry ... to the event. Demonstrations will take place every hour on the half-hour. That is, until someone shows up with one of those la-de-dah red wines advertised in the Black Suit thread. No, Chuck. I shall be demonstrating on my laundry, not yours. But nice try.

11. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

For some odd reason when I iron, no matter how new the iron is, the shirt seems dirty to me. Is it my imagination or do irons give shirt a very slight ting of grunginess.

12. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

And the rest of the shirt...?

13. linux_pro

linux_pro Senior member

THank you for that excellent post.

14. 4Mica

4Mica Senior member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  15. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Most likely your washer is not completely removing the detergent. Try washing 2x and do the second cycle without detergent. Detergent tends to look brownish when ironed.