• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Iron/Steamer suggestions?

bantone

Reaction score
I need a good Iron with great steaming options. Any suggestions on what's a top notch one? Thanks!

Phileas Fogg

Reaction score
I’ve been using a Rowenta for years and I’m happy. Some may offer less expensive options.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Rowentas are made in Germany, and have real weight to them.

Some aren't, and don't.

Amazon seems to do a shit job of helping you learn what is what, but they do break out item/package weight.

A 1/3.x lbs ratio is dicey, a 4/4.x lbs ratio is a much better sign

TheCountLondon

Reaction score
I use a Fridja f1000 bought new for £100 - its a vertical steamer and works well. Good price point I think as cheaper units may not generate the required amount of steam and next price level up tend to be aimed at the professionals.

Edit: I see you were looking specifically for an iron which also steams well. The above doesn't iron but having used a steam generator iron previously (a large steam unit which has an iron attached), I prefer to have separate iron and steamer (if space, budget etc allows)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have used a few brands over many years.

I can press slacks, shirts, etc well with a $20 or $200 iron.

That being said, Rowenta, GE, etc all have worked out fine for me in the past.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.