Iron/Steamer Recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Jan 5, 2005.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

I realize that we had a LONG thread on steamers recently, but I was wondering if Forum members have any products that they swear by for eliminating wrinkles. I currently use a $30 Black and Deckerwith lighht starch on broadcloths and a few stubborn twills, with a mean ironing time of 12 minutes/shirt (1hr 15 minutes/week for shirts and two or three pants. Wool slacks are pressed and drycleaned). links and prices appreciated.

2. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

I had been using a questionable hand held model from Sunbeam for years. It did the job but took a long time and was a pain in the butt to keep filling w water. About a month ago I bought a Jiffy with the metal head and I havent looked back since. The thing produces so much steam youd think you're in a sauna - enough to do both sides of my pants at once. Further - the build of the unit is superb - makes me proud that it was made in America. Its a little pricey, but it will pay for itself many times over.

3. TomW

TomW Senior member

Rowenta - any of the 1400 watt models - hands down the best iron I've ever owned. Almost makes ironing a pleasure.

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Sussman Senior W. Steam Iron w/Pump - 8 Pounds of cast iron
    Lasts a lifetime. About $500 - Sussman Automatic, Long Island City, NY

5. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

http://www.amazon.com/exec....=507846 I have this steamer, it's apparently the same one Chuck uses, it's quite great. About $100 or so shipped if you buy it on Friday with the coupon.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Absolutely. Whenever I visit my mom, she want to iron my clothes to give me more freetime, I want to iron my clothes because she has a Rowenta.

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

Rowenta Pro, decent weigh, okay steam, $90 at Target.

Rowenta's travel steamer, however, is worthless in my opinion. The "E-Steamer" is much better. In fact, my wife and I use our little E-steam unit much more than our big Jiffy commercial type steamer.

I'd love to find one of those puffed out shirt steamers that the Cleaners use.

8. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

Is this the same as the "Steam n' Press?" I just received one as a gift and it's pretty much useless. No reservior to speak of, spits water all over the place, and handles awkwardly over all fabrics.

9. TCN

TCN Senior member

(TCN @ 06 Jan. 2005, 10:22) Rowenta's travel steamer, however, is worthless in my opinion. Â The "E-Steamer" is much better. Â In fact, my wife and I use our little E-steam unit much more than our big Jiffy commercial type steamer.
    Is this the same as the "Steam n' Press?" I just received one as a gift and it's pretty much useless. No reservior to speak of, spits water all over the place, and handles awkwardly over all fabrics.
    I think that's either the new or deluxe version of what I had. Mine was worthless, about as much steam as a hot cup of coffee (but less consistent) . . . I even took the first one back as defective, the second one produced the same amount. I kept it out of laziness, I think it's in my basement someplace.

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I bought this Conair off ebay and like it quite well for what I paid (~$30). I have only light steaming needs. One of these days I'll probably upgrade, but this is satisfactory for now. If I was going retail I'd get this one that drizz and Chuck have. It is on "Friday Sale" today for $99, I see.