1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Iron Recommendations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by demeis, Jun 5, 2006.

1. demeis

demeis Senior member

My iron died on my the other day and am in the market for a new one. Would love to get some recommendations. My biggest complaint on my last iron was that the steam feature didn't work well. I'm looking for one that has a nice steam feature and one preferable that you can control (like the commercial ones if thats possible).

2. bch

bch Senior member

Rowenta. I have the $80 version. Lots of steam, reasonably heavy, water tight filler "hatch," never leaks.

3. kronik

kronik Senior member

Another vote for Rowenta - some nice models can be found on eBay at a discount - that's where I found mine.. no drip, nice steam output.. nice iron.. cost me like 70.

4. TCN

TCN Senior member

I have a Rowenta Pro (circa 2001) that replaces a Rowenta Something-glide, and I love the Pro. The glide one was weak.

BTW, Rowenta's portable steamers (last I checked) are terrible, look for the E-Steam portable steamer (it's better than my big Jiffy commercial model).

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Ditto. I recieved a Rowenta Precision for a Christmas gift. Its a keeper.

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Bought a Black and Decker to replace a Rowenta and have been happy with it.

7. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Another vote for Rowenta. I have the pro model and love it.

8. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

Yet another vote for the Rowenta Pro. I wonder why there are so many bad reviews on Amazon? I've never had a problem with mine. It's great.

9. Mr Sola

Mr Sola Senior member

Got the Rowenta Perfect as a wedding gift and love it. Damn thing shoots steam about 4 feet.

10. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

I very happy with the Rowenta Pro I bought recently. Get a good solid ironing board too. I use to have one of those cheap and flimsy models, and the difference was huge going to a new model with wide deck and very solid construction.

11. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Another vote for Rowenta

12. dare-

dare- Senior member

black and decker d2030, works great

13. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

I have a Rowenta Ultra Pro that I paid $130 about 3-4 years ago. It was great at first. The iron used to produce a prodigious amount of steam. Now it barely makes enough. The built in sprayer stopped working after about 12 month of use. I assume both problems were caused by hard water deposits accumulating inside the iron. If you plan to use filtered or distilled water you may not be affected by the types of problems I am describing. I did get a separate plastic spray bottle to replace the built-in sprayer and it works great. I want to take the iron apart and see if I can clean it but Rowenta uses special hex security bolts that I have yet to find the correct bit for.

I remember mr. Kabbaz was writing about his preffered commercial iron on the other forum in a similar thread but I can't find it now.

14. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

A voice of dissent against the Rowenta: bought the Rowenta Pro about a year ago. Followed all the instructions. Still the damn thing leaked water and spotted almost from the moment I plugged it in. I returned it within a few days.

15. TCN

TCN Senior member

Yet another vote for the Rowenta Pro. I wonder why there are so many bad reviews on Amazon? I've never had a problem with mine. It's great.

I'd trust the opinions here over random Amazon or EPionion write-ups; granted, a few guys here have had Rowenta "lemons".

Amazon reviews remind me of the reviews on Tirerack, where a lot of reviewers just don't seem to know what they're talking about . . . "I bend the sidewalls of these Pirelli PZeros too much when I corner hard in my minivan, they suck". [​IMG]

16. UR003

UR003 Active Member

I believe Laurastar is very good, but also very, very expensive. Perhaps some members have personally experienced using a Laurastar. I would appreciate they share those experiences with the rest of us.

17. xarope

xarope Well-Known Member

I have one of those very expensive laurastar iron+ironing board; my wife bought it for me as a present (!) since I like to iron my own shirts.

Without a rowenta to compare against - only a previous panasonic steam iron and others equivalent and also a standalone steamer, I'd have to say the laurastar makes it MUCH easier to iron my shirts; in the tropical climate that I live in, previous steam irons would not do a good job (after a few minutes of hanging, my shirts would show some wrinkles again, I guess because it's so humid), but the laurastar does do so (hotter steam? the salesman said "dry" steam, whatever that means!), with plenty of steam; lasts me about 4-5 shirts before I have to refill it again.

Don't know about long term reliability, although the salesman had been using the same demo iron+board for the last 2 years (or so he says!) and he showed me the stains etc that would happen if you don't decouple the iron from the silicon (?) base that it sits in when ironing, and also the ironing board cover from the board itself - since he demos for 3-4 hours at a time without doing so.

18. j

j Senior member Admin

I have a Rowenta Ultra Pro that I paid $130 about 3-4 years ago. It was great at first. The iron used to produce a prodigious amount of steam. Now it barely makes enough. The built in sprayer stopped working after about 12 month of use. I assume both problems were caused by hard water deposits accumulating inside the iron. If you plan to use filtered or distilled water you may not be affected by the types of problems I am describing. I did get a separate plastic spray bottle to replace the built-in sprayer and it works great. I want to take the iron apart and see if I can clean it but Rowenta uses special hex security bolts that I have yet to find the correct bit for.

I remember mr. Kabbaz was writing about his preffered commercial iron on the other forum in a similar thread but I can't find it now.

Firstly, http://www.wihatools.com/701serie.htm

Secondly, you might be able to just fill the iron with some diluted CLR to clean out the deposits. I've heard great things about that stuff.

19. medtech_expat

medtech_expat Senior member

I believe Laurastar is very good, but also very, very expensive. Perhaps some members have personally experienced using a Laurastar. I would appreciate they share those experiences with the rest of us.

Somewhere in the bowels of my shipping container en route to Sydney from Brussels lies a brand-new Laurastar Magic i-S5. I don't have any experience with this latest generation yet, but even their earlier models provide the most crisply-ironed shirts I've ever experienced at 3 minutes per shirt. Less passovers are required, and I don't get any shine-effect on darker colors. Since I switched over to Laurastar a few years back, the wear and tear on my shirtings has reduced. The steam function is perfect for trousers and jackets. This thing is built like a tank! Swiss made, and yes, far too expensive for an iron. (although you can score the older generation off eBay)

www.laurastar.com

20. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

Firstly, http://www.wihatools.com/701serie.htm

Secondly, you might be able to just fill the iron with some diluted CLR to clean out the deposits. I've heard great things about that stuff.

Thanks J. That was the bit I was looking for. I will also check CLR out. Or maybe I should try the stuff I use to descale my espresso machine, hmm...