Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Irish Whiskey

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mute, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Mute

Mute Senior member

Alright guys. Let's hear your preferences.

2. why

why Senior member

There's not a lot more available here than Jamo.

3. Wick

Wick Well-Known Member

4. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Micheal Collins single malt

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Clontarf is very good, I drink it with Canada Dry.

Also, Tyrconnel is a very good value for the $$

6. Ace Rimmer

Ace Rimmer Senior member

Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars.

Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle.

Those would be my top two recommendations.

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

Bushmills is good too. Though, my default is still Jameson 12 (hand carried to here from Ireland by a friend).

8. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Midleton is good, but not worth the price. Tyrconnell is a good, rare find. Redbreast tasted good here in the US in 2004 and then I had it at home and couldn't drink it. Jim Murray claims that there's been changes in how it's bottled, fwiw. Michael Collins is a novelty and should be avoided. I'd stick with Jameson, which is the perfect boilermaker component.

9. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Jameson 12 year is a big step up from the regular stuff, IMO.

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars.

Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle.

Those would be my top two recommendations.

+1000 on the Jameson 12yr. I have the Redbreast, but it's a bit of an oddity. Not as odd, however as the Connemara Cask Strength: http://www.tastings.com/scout_spirits.lasso?id=178231

You might also try Powers.

Slainte! (cannot find the bloody accent ...)

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Commonly available? Jameson 12 yr. Do not be fooled by the "regular" Jameson, which tastes like machine oil next to the 12 yr vintage. Very smooth and subltle flavoring on the 12 yr. Also, Jamie 12 is probably the best "bang for your buck" of the line. The regular vintage is $20/bottle, 12yr is $36/bottle and 16yr is $65/bottle. I've had all three. While the 16yr is nice, it's not worth 2x the price of 12yr. If you look hard enough you can find this at most bars. Not-so-commonly available: Redbreast. This is a 12yr single malt Irish whiskey with a stronger flavor than Jameson 12yr but it's not widely available at most bars. Priced a bit higher at $40-45/bottle. Those would be my top two recommendations.
    +1000 also on Jamie's 12. It's my house Irish (makes a killer Rob Roy also). Jamie's 18 is also superb, but not the same jump up as 12 is from standard. There are two new Jamies expressions running around, but I have no experience. I also second Connemara and Rebreast in any expression. Middleton doesn't work for me. ~ Huntsman

12. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

I have had Bushmill's 10y which was rather boring and a disappointment. Their Sherry Hogshead Cask is far better. I've not tried the 16y, but I hear it's much better than the 10.

I had another Irish which I liked, it had a lot of peat, I can't recall the name [​IMG]

13. speedster.8

speedster.8 Senior member

Neither Bushmils or Jameson have impressed me. Would like recomendations along the lines Higland Park 18+, Springbank, Macallan, even Adbreg. The Irish are bound to have some ...

Thoughts?

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Neither Bushmils or Jameson have impressed me. Would like recomendations along the lines Higland Park 18+, Springbank, Macallan, even Adbreg. The Irish are bound to have some ... Thoughts?
    No, they're not, really. Irish whiskys may not be your style as they (almost) never use peat, and as you're citing HP, and heavens, Ardberg, you should know you're not going to find that. I call Jamie's 12 as the archetypical Irish. Connemara Cask Strength, as mentioned here, might be your best shot. Black Bush also has some peat, but it's not Ardberg. You're also not going to find the wineyness of the Big Mac on the Emerald Isle, though Springbank might have a cousin in Knappogue. ~ Huntsman

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

The Irish whiskeys are also blends, not single malts. If you want single-malt scotch, drink single-malt scotch.