• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish Poplin vs. Mogador vs. 100 percent Silk Ties

rjkabk

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of upgrading/redoing my business wardrobe. When it comes to ties I'm pretty basic. I like various solids and then I like stripes and that is it for my business wardrobe (I have a wider selection for non-business). Because I don't have a lot variety in patterns and design, I look for variety in other ways. For example, for my solid ties I have grenadine fina, grossa, twill, oxford weave etc. Looking at stripes, I'm considering adding some Irish Poplin and Mogador. I have never owned either and am wondering what are the practical differences between the two, and how they compare to 100 percent silk. I understand that Irish Poplin is silk and wool, and Mogador is cotton and silk, and I have read that both have a more matte appearance than 100 percent silk, which makes sense and I generally prefer a more matte appearance. What other differences are there? What else can be said about them? Do they tie as good a knot as a good 100 percent silk tie?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd contact Sam Hober on his website, he would know for sure and be able to answer these questions.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, contact David Hober (Sam is his daughter’s name)

rjkabk

Reaction score
Thank you I'll ask him and also repost on the Sam Hober thread on this forum. Also, in case someone sees this thread and knows, do certain colors work better with any of these fabrics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads