• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Irish fellows.

Racing Green

Reaction score
Lefty - Sorry to hear that Dublin was a let down. I think it's a great city but I'm biased. Dublin is consistently rated as one of the best European city breaks and most visitors I meet seem to love the place.

You have to really like drinking though..... :)

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure it's a fine city it just didn't resonate with me.

lefty

ChicagoMediaMan

Reaction score
I agree with Dublin. It's fine for a day or 2, but it's really nothing special after that.

I loved the Irish countryside though.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'll mostly be flirting with the receptionists and playing piano in the lobby if I can manage learning a song or two before November.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going to stay in Dublin at all, take one of the busses out to Newgrange. When I went, we had an amazing experience with the Mary Gibbons bus. And it's not like bus tours often are here in the US. Be prepared to walk, and on uneven, wet grass.

That leads me to a broader theme. Ireland has some serious history, be sure to visit at least some of it. The Neolithic tombs are of course a good one, but it's dotted all over the landscape. The Rock of Cashel is worth seeing, as is stuff like Galway and the Aran Islands are a must visit of you're on a menswear forum (drop by O'Maille to see the absolute best Aran sweaters anywhere). But the coolest place I've ever been in my life, and my biggest recommendation on the history front, is Skellig Michael. There's a 6th century monastery, made out of dry laid stone, built to house 13 monks, on the top of this tiny, ridiculously steep speck of rock in the North Atlantic. It may not work out for you, getting there in winter seas may be tough (BTW, if you get seasick, or are scared of heights, or of long climbs on 1,500 year old stairs with no handrails, this is not for you). But if you're planning on doing anything in the Ring of Kerry or around that vicinity, you should see if you can make it work.

Sorry, nevermind. Season apparently ends after October, and they don't let anyone back out until April. I'll leave it there in case anyone is planning a trip to Ireland at a more sane time (you do realize it's going to be dark for something like 18 hours of the day, right?)

But yeah, music and pubs are good, history, beautiful landscapes. Plenty to do in that country if you like the outdoors, music, meat and potatoes, and dark beer. Be warned, nobody in Ireland actually drinks Harp- it's for the tourists.

flirtkakat

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be coming back to Ireland so I will be making use of them.

I do love the outdoors, music, meat and potatoes. I'll be drinking whiskey instead of beer though but I'm willing to try guinness.

I've found a nice service that offers a busride out to cliffs of moher. It makes stops along the way which means I'll be seeing a fair bit of the countryside. That and some less touristy pubs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads