• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPod Tough: 8gb or 32 gb

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about buying my wife an iPod Touch. I would love to get her something more than the base model 8gb, but the jump to the 32gb is costs so much more.

My question to all you iPod Touch users, could my wife get by with 8gb, or should I just get the 32 and not be so cheap?

I can't imagine that she would use it too extensively. It's not like she has a massive music collection, but I'm also not sure how much space all the extra features and apps would take up.

Thoughts?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apps take up almost nothing, a gig at most. Movies and songs are what get you.

I admit that when I bought my girlfriend a touch, I got her the 32gb instead of the 64gb. She's quite happy with it and has about 25 gb of data on there at the moment. 8gb is not very big, however. It's a bit of a frustrating gift if the recipicient is constantly worrying about reaching capacity, having to delete something old to make room for something new, etc. The difference is only $70 more, which is 25%. I'd spring for the model with larger capacity.

P.S. Your thread title looks like spam, especially with the typo.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i have a first gen 8 gb, and dearly wish it was a 32. But it was a gift so I am greatful for it anyways.

FWIW, I have it filled with music, no pictures, apps, or anything else (no room)

henrikc

Reaction score
Yeah, I just ran out of space on my 8GB iPod Touch (first generation), and I wouldn't buy 8GB again. Go for 32GB.

Some apps take up a lot of space, and it's nice to be able to grab whatever you want without worrying about space.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get as much storage as you can afford.

--Andre

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness

Crap, I didn't even notice that.

Alright, seems like I'll have to pony up the extra dough. Fair enough.

I have a first generation nano with 4gb and I'm constantly having to update in an attempt to add new music, which is frustrating. I would hate for her to have to do the same thing.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
i have a first gen 8 gb, and dearly wish it was a 32. But it was a gift so I am greatful for it anyways.

FWIW, I have it filled with music, no pictures, apps, or anything else (no room)

I have a first gen 32 gb, and dearly wish it was a 64 (0). I have like 200 mb of space left on there.
confused.gif

(half of it is my fault. I rip my music from cd to lossless format, which is bulky, and although my ipod can't take complete advantage of the difference, it is nice to listen to. Especially with good earbuds).

Always buy higher capacity. If there was a 1st gen touch with 64 gb, I would have got that instead of the 32.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have an 8GB first gen as well, got for free w/ the mail in student rebate years ago. I agree that you should suck it up and spring for more storage in these things.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the protection plan? Worth it?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. All iPod purchases are already covered for a year and you can extend that coverage at any time before it expires. Apple products also have the lowest failure rates in the industry.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AntiHero84
Any thoughts on the protection plan? Worth it?

I have three iPods and never have had problems with any.

Ben85

Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Apps take up almost nothing, a gig at most. Movies and songs are what get you.

I admit that when I bought my girlfriend a touch, I got her the 32gb instead of the 64gb. She's quite happy with it and has about 25 gb of data on there at the moment. 8gb is not very big, however. It's a bit of a frustrating gift if the recipicient is constantly worrying about reaching capacity, having to delete something old to make room for something new, etc. The difference is only $70 more, which is 25%. I'd spring for the model with larger capacity.

I have over 4gb of apps on my iPhone and that is on just 2 pages. I got the 16gb phone and am wishing I got the 32. Photos take up lots of space too, usually around 2.3mb and video, that **** takes up loads of space. You can never have too much when it comes to memory. Taking **** off sucks.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^How does that work? I have three pages of aps and they don't take up much at all, probably less than half a gig.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads