• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPod to Car connections

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Looking for a little help. My Dad's birthday is coming up and we want to get him an iPod but it has to be able hook-up to his current car (06 Crossfire Convertible with navigation system). I've contacted Chrysler about it and they still haven't gotten back to me (probably never will). There might be a way to hook it up through the navigation system by disguising the iPod as a phone but I'm waiting for an audio shop to get back to me on that. Does anyone have any experience with wiring an iPod directly to an OEM stereo?

There is a system from Harmon/Kardon that I saw that might work but it means mounting an ugly LCD panel and control stick on the dash. I want to avoid using an FM transmitter. However, if I hear good recommendations I'll pursue the option. Thanks!

A.

P.S.>Tokyo: you can have one iPod/Apple hater comment per page.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not too familiar with the radios used in Mercedes; I mean Chrysler’s cars. So, I have a few questions that might help your dilemma:

1) Does the car have a CDTEXT feature? I.e. when you put a CD in (not a homemade one) does it display what song is playing?

2) Is there an AUX connector / cord / button?

3) Does it have a CD changer hooked up? If not, is there a factory-ready connection for one?

4) Is there a cassette player in the car? It might be a throw back, but its an option (my iPod is hooked up via the cassette player (Sony cassette and xtremeMac power adaptor) because the 1st gen Audi iPod connector was really crappy, and the 2nd gen isn’t that much more impressive).

FM transmitters are unreliable. If you are going to get a new head unit, get a Pioneer with the CD-IB100 iPod connector.

Jon.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.s. you did not say anything about anti-iPod sentiments coming from me Damn white brickettes!
tongue.gif
Anyway, I second what Jon mentiioned. Also, look at aftermarket solutions such as the ones by Blitzsafe, P.I.E. et.c. You can add an auxillary input (or multiple) that way, if available for the specific vehicle. P.s.2 avoid FM transmitters unless you have no other option. Trust me.

Hanseat

Reaction score
The easiest option would be to take one of those tapes you can connenct to your iPod and just put that in the cassette player- that's how I do it.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the casette thing on my old car that had a casette player.. most new cars do not, though, including my car. Then I tried the FM transmitter. Total crap. Then I thought about doing the FM modulator, but decided it wasn't worth the money/effort, since I still wouldn't be getting a full sound spectrum... and eventually I decided to go with the Alpine FullSpeed Ipod integrated headunit. It's great. It is a lot better than the first generation of Ipod integrated HU's with zero lag when searching or playing... If this is an option for you, I highly recommend it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
My Mini has an auxillary jack that BMW puts into their head units that is iPod compatible. As long as it's an 1/8" rca jack it should work.

If you don't have one, the options are limited. +1 on avoiding the FM transmitter. My gf has a cassette connection which works well enough but you'll hear the tape spinning when the music gets quiet.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
My Mini has an auxillary jack that BMW puts into their head units that is iPod compatible. As long as it's an 1/8" rca jack it should work. If you don't have one, the options are limited. +1 on avoiding the FM transmitter. My gf has a cassette connection which works well enough but you'll hear the tape spinning when the music gets quiet.
Um, all AUX jacks are compatible with every external player. Compatibility because an issue when you want the iPod to fully integrate into the head unit (digitally, not analogue), i.e. you can see the songs info on the head units display, AND be able to fully control the songs via the head unit / steering wheel controls. It really depends which cassette deck you have, which cassette adapter you use and how you have it set up. The Audi Symphony II is really quiet, and I use a Sony cassette adapter, which was designed for car use and is quieter than the competition, plus I have the Dolby Surround Sound option turned off, which helps with the any unwanted background noise. Jon.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Um, all AUX jacks are compatible with every external player. Compatibility because an issue when you want the iPod to fully integrate into the head unit (digitally, not analogue), i.e. you can see the songs info on the head units display, AND be able to fully control the songs via the head unit / steering wheel controls.

To an extent. BMW cars receive information from the iPods, not just transmit sounds... right Jason?

My Civic didn't have an aux input in the stock head unit so I bought a Sony unit that does. To be honest I don't recommend listening to the iPod in the car, unless you get an external amp. iPods just aren't meant to drive car speakers.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
To an extent. BMW cars receive information from the iPods, not just transmit sounds... right Jason?

My Civic didn't have an aux input in the stock head unit so I bought a Sony unit that does. To be honest I don't recommend listening to the iPod in the car, unless you get an external amp. iPods just aren't meant to drive car speakers.

I used a Blitzsafe interface in my (ex-)Civic. My iRiver H320 had enough power to drive it sufficiently well.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ok, here's my one comment for this page...

iPods are lame. That being said, I don't know squat about iPod to car deck stuff. You are probably better off talking to people with iPods about this one.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To an extent. BMW cars receive information from the iPods, not just transmit sounds... right Jason? My Civic didn't have an aux input in the stock head unit so I bought a Sony unit that does. To be honest I don't recommend listening to the iPod in the car, unless you get an external amp. iPods just aren't meant to drive car speakers.
If you can transmit more information that just the sound you are not using an AUX port (analogue), you are using the connector at the bottom of the iPod (digital). AUX can only transmit sound. Jon.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chrysler has just come out with a new I-pod controller that works with their factory car stereos and nav/stereo units. They are back-ordered right now at most dealerships, however.

Also, the icruze is an option.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score

yea the BMW iPod connection lets you control the iPod (and I believe only iPod) with the steering wheel stereo controls. If you just want to plug in any MP3 player into the 1/8" jack you can but it wont be fuly integrated with the stereo

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yea the BMW iPod connection lets you control the iPod (and I believe only iPod) with the steering wheel stereo controls. If you just want to plug in any MP3 player into the 1/8" jack you can but it wont be fuly integrated with the stereo

Although not all BMW cars have the full-integration option. Only certain BMW head units have the capability.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads