• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone / Wireless iPod Coming Soon?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Articles from Amazon.com

amzn-blog-061017-iPodiPhone-sillyip.jpg

Slow News Day... Time for the Latest Apple Rumors
2:01 PM, October 10, 2006, updated at 4:00 PM, October 11, 2006

This is a post from Amazon Current.
Would you like to continue receiving these posts?

It was a slow Columbus Day, so we might as well break out some of the various and sundry Apple rumors that have been flying about the Web to tempt our imaginations. First off, CrunchGear notes the strongest hint that an iPhone is coming down the pike (fake mockup photo courtesy of CG):
"Apple has inadvertently dropped another hint of features that the iPhone will probably have: a Mobile iTunes store. A job listing on Apple's website advertises that it's seeking a Mobile Marketing Manager for iTunes. The job is just what it sounds like from the listing, and it's looking for someone who can 'Collaborate with iTunes Engineering to build program components as the foundation of the mobile marketing strategy.' This most likely means an iPhone owner can browse iTunes from their iPhone handset, preview songs and purchase them for playback on the device. This functionality was rumored to be included with the Zune from Microsoft, but we now know it'll be missing at launch. Here, we have proof that Apple is taking the lead on this."
It should most likely be announced at the Macworld Expo in early January, with Cingular being the odds-on favorite to be the exclusive partner at launch.

T-Mobile made some waves on Friday with Chief Executive Robert Dotson giving heavy props to Apple in a presser announcing its 3G wireless spectrum plans for 2007. This got a lot of Apple bloggers wondering if there might be some future synergy (especially with a comment noting how closely aligned the visions of the two companies are). But Gizmodo is passing that off as just praiseworthy stroking of corporate egos.

appleiphone1.jpg

Backwards (iPod History) and Forwards (iPhone Rumors)
4:38 PM, October 17, 2006, updated at 3:35 PM, October 17, 2006

This is a post from Amazon Current.

First, the pinball machine that is the gadget-o-sphere has been busy flipping the latest iPhone tidbits--specifically that Apple has made a trademark filing for the iPhone moniker "with a Far Eastern trademark office" (according to AppleInsider). Engadget (from which we get the improbable image) comments:
"t'll be interesting to see if Apple actually sticks with the name, seeing how it's become a bit... shall we say, overheated across the 'nets and it seems like it might be to Apple's advantage to take everyone by surprise with a creative new marque (iChat? iCall, perhaps? We know we're going out on a limb here)."
That Engadget post also points to a Red Herring story that quotes an industry analyst with a fairly confidant statement about two iPhone/iCall/iSomething models:
"'Based upon our early checks, we expect Apple to unveil two models of its widely anticipated cell phones,' Prudential Equity Group analyst Jesse Tortora said in a research note Monday. 'We believe the company could introduce the phones at its MacWorld Conference in January.' Mr. Tortora had more details. The analyst said that one of the phones would be a smart phone featuring an integrated keyboard, video, and music capabilities. The other will be a slimmer phone with music capabilities. Also, at least one of them will feature Wi-Fi, he wrote."
We've still got 83+ days until the Macworld Expo (according to this handy Mac OS dashboard widget), so to fill your time till then, here's a very interesting look at the birth of the iPod from Wired. Here's a tidbit:
"Digital music players were either big and clunky or small and useless. Most were based on fairly small memory chips, either 32 or 64 MB, which stored only a few dozen songs -- not much better than a cheap portable CD player.

"But a couple of the players were based on a new 2.5-inch hard drive from Fujitsu. The most popular was the Nomad Jukebox from Singapore-based Creative. About the size of a portable CD player but twice as heavy, the Nomad Jukebox showed the promise of storing thousands of songs on a (smallish) device. But it had some horrible flaws: It used Universal Serial Bus to transfer songs from the computer, which was painfully slow. The interface was an engineer special (unbelievably awful) and it often sucked batteries dry in just 45 minutes.

"[...] Apple's team knew it could solve most of the problems plagued by the Nomad. Its FireWire connector could quickly transfer songs from the computer to player -- an entire CD in a few seconds; a huge library of MP3s in minutes. And thanks to the rapidly growing cell phone industry, new batteries and displays were constantly coming to market.

"In February 2001, during the Macworld show in Tokyo, Rubinstein made a visit to Toshiba, Apple's supplier of hard drives, where executives showed him a tiny drive the company had just developed. The drive was 1.8 inches in diameter -- considerably smaller than the 2.5-inch Fujitsu drive used in competing players -- but Toshiba didn't have any idea what it might be used for.

"'They said they didn't know what to do with it. Maybe put it in a small notebook,' Rubinstein recalled. 'I went back to Steve and I said, 'I know how to do this. I've got all the parts.' He said, 'Go for it.'""
When the first 5 GB iPod came out, I was the editor for Amazon's growing MP3 store and was the proud owner of a Creative Nomad Jukebox, which looks like an OldsmoBuick now in comparison to the iPods of today (my review of it is still up). The iPod really changed my life--I could actually work out with it at the gym and didn't need an arctic surveyor's backpack to haul it--and I still occasionally use it (though I've recently bought my wife the new green nano, which will most likely relegate Ol' Faithful to my office's tech museum). You gotta love this modern world.

~Agen G.N. Schmitz, Amazon Current

iskincontest2WinCE1.jpg

This Week's Apple Rumors, Part 2: Wireless iPod (Finally) Coming?
1:49 AM, October 11, 2006, updated at 4:39 PM, October 11, 2006

Okay, so the wireless functions on the Microsoft Zune won't sync with your PC at launch. According to the latest rumors, however, Apple may be readying more robust Wi-Fi features.

This morning, Engadget speculated about the mythic Apple launch of a widescreen, wireless video iPod. The Web site says, "Believe it or not we tend to have to disregard the majority of rumors floating around (or that get sent in to us); that said, when not only one, but multiple trusted sources get in touch to let us know Steve Jobs & Co. are supposedly finally about completed with the wireless / video iPod, we have to take note."

The gist of the wireless functionality is that users will be able to sync up with iTunes sans cables and possibly access the iTunes store for purchasing and downloading songs.

Perhaps that's not much to hang a hat on, but Mobilewhack.com posted about a prototype Fujitsu Turntable PC that was unveiled at the CEATEC show in Tokyo. The back of the notebook's screen has a suspiciously iPod-like scroll wheel that can be used as a digital turntable to scratch and spin music. According to the site, "The turntable will also support a wireless connection with iPods."

Take that for what you will. Speculation is that Apple will unveil the "wireless iPod" right before or after the holidays. Your thoughts?

~Porter B. Hall, Amazon Current

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I also read something about a patent/copyright/something being filed recently for the iPhone.
While an interesting idea, I don't see how Apple will be succesful in that field (at least in the current climate) due to two main reasons:

a) Apple has never been willing to bet piles of $$$ and then stay the course when there is not an immediate success. Margins in that industry are razor (or Razr *snigger* ) thin. Samsung is among the companies that has Linux-based smartphones, they may be a good partner as BSD and Linux have the capability to share apps. However those are phones of higher complexity and price than what Apple would probably go after. Will be a case of bleeding money for maybe years to establish a foothold.

b) Going up against a colossus like Nokia is not an easy thing. I assume this will be something supposedly targetted to the marketshare of Nokia which has traditionally put piles of resources in to ergonomics and human factors (and it shows). While many people know who Apple is, Nokia has MUCH bigger name recognition worldwide. Now for the US market that lags behind in mobile phone features and networks, Apple may have a better shot at unseating Motorola as the "cool fashion phone" purveyor as long as they have a compelling feature set and good integration with Windows PCs (that last point is very important IMHO, MUCH MUCH MUCH more than integration with the miniscule marketshare of OS X PCs).

Stax

Reaction score
touchscreen ipod w/ virtual clickwheel: December 06

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
DIEEEEEEE!!!!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
iPod is my mortal enemy.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can you not love iPods? They're innovative and they kick the **** out of everything else on the market.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
How can you not love iPods? They're innovative and they kick the **** out of everything else on the market.

Uh oh
peepwall[1].gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I've seen a Photoshop mockup of such a beast (fan art: nothing official), and it would be slickest thing since sliced bread. Here's a link to it:

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-59782.html

--Andre

The technology is bad for a number of reasons; including the plain fact that from a UI/ergonomics perspective it is a nightmare of imprecision and the lack of tactile feedback has doomed quite a few other players of the sort. Then again this is Apple, as long as they make a slick ad people will buy it, inferior or not.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a bit premature to judge the so-called "true" video iPod before it even arrives. Before the first iPod, people thought MP3 players were hard to use. I agree that if it's not as nice to use as their current iPods, then it's a lot of hype for nothing.

--Andre

raley

Reaction score
I don't really like Apple/Ipods and whatnot but I think I would buy an Ipod-phone.

Reasoning: The way they do phones now is really stupid with all these sign contracts/get a deal things. If you are with one company and want to stay with that company and renew your contract, you can't get a new phone unless you change your number, but if you switch companies you can keep your number and get a 300$ discount for a phone, how dumb is that?

I feel like Apple will just make the whole system easier. E.g. pay $300 for a phone and it will work with any provider, and it will have 5 gb of memory and be wifi, or something like that.

Also, I can justify paying 300$ for a wifi phone that plays music. It is hard to justify paying 300$ for 40gb harddrive only though, like what an ipod is, since I can buy that same harddrive for $50 on Newegg.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by raley
I don't really like Apple/Ipods and whatnot but I think I would buy an Ipod-phone.

Reasoning: The way they do phones now is really stupid with all these sign contracts/get a deal things. If you are with one company and want to stay with that company and renew your contract, you can't get a new phone unless you change your number, but if you switch companies you can keep your number and get a 300$ discount for a phone, how dumb is that?

I feel like Apple will just make the whole system easier. E.g. pay $300 for a phone and it will work with any provider, and it will have 5 gb of memory and be wifi, or something like that.

Also, I can justify paying 300$ for a wifi phone that plays music. It is hard to justify paying 300$ for 40gb harddrive only though, like what an ipod is, since I can buy that same harddrive for $50 on Newegg.

Wll, you can do that currently although the idea in the USA of unlocked full-price phones is not yet widespread. The N and E series Symbian phones from Nokia include wi-fi. But again, the problem is that the infrastructure (and possibly the public's desire) for this sort of activity is very low in the USA. Then again, Apple may manage a coup in the USA merely because of that.

Anyway, some interesting tidbits on this:
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/featu...m/iPod_RIP.php
There is an article I found a while ago with some staggering stats in regards to the volume of music bought through mobile phones... a huge number dwarfing iTunes' sales internationally. Convergence is the key word here.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy

I will not dignify that with an answer. Apple's marketing strategy has obviously already won.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads