• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Which used Mozart's music as its intro music (oh, I forget from what piece exactly, but it was wonderful...).

Jon.

I Didn't know that Rockapella wrote songs for Mozart...

smile.gif

Bouji

Reaction score
Although at first glance it seems good, the spec. is pathetic; at least for a mobile phone outside the US.
I can't really see it being a big hit in the UK, unless they drasticaly improve the spec. for the rest of the world.
I mean,
No 3G
No GPS
Only 2 MP Camera
8 GB is not all that much, if it is to replace 3 devices

I think it would be excllent if they'd intergrated GPS with the google maps feature.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Although at first glance it seems good, the spec. is pathetic; at least for a mobile phone outside the US.
I can't really see it being a big hit in the UK, unless they drasticaly improve the spec. for the rest of the world.
I mean,
No 3G
No GPS
Only 2 MP Camera
8 GB is not all that much, if it is to replace 3 devices

I think it would be excllent if they'd intergrated GPS with the google maps feature.

See, that is what I see too. That is why the RAZR is so successful over here even though it is so long in the tooth.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone that does not read /. here is proof that Jobs is a charismatic dolt: “You need it to work when you need it to work. Cingular doesn’t want to see their West Coast network go down because some application messed up.” What the hell. That is the worst excuse for being a control freak I have ever heard! Oh and there are many rumblings that it does not even support J2ME. Its browser does not support Java nor Flash, either. P.s. that's it, I am knocking T-Mobile out - all I have to do is load Doom or my Super NES emulator on my non-Tmobile branded phone. Bwahahah, network death by Super Mario! LMAO.

kimizz0

Reaction score
Seems to be a lot of conjecture as to what the iPhone does. Here is a FAQ with David Pogue: http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/...ked-questions/

Also, from what I understand the iPhone's cost is not subsidized, so that $500-600 is what you pay either through Cingular with the contract at the same time or through Apple and signing up for a Cingular contract later.

The biggest thing for me is Cingular's data plan and service. Perhaps Apple knows something about their recent merger with AT&T that I don't and Cingular/AT&T plans on putting up a lot more towers and providing better service plans between now and June. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple were to beef up the iPhone between now and June, or announce more features. They're going to have to keep interest and increase interest in it for 6 months before it comes out.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SuitsInStyle

Reaction score
I think this is a great device and is ahead of its time right now. Can't wait for it to come to Canada!!

Although I do love my BB Pearl now, I would switch the the iPhone. Too bad they won't team up with RIM and have the PIN's so you can talk to other BB units.

Bouji

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SuitsInStyle.com
is ahead of its time right now.

Bare jokes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
"This product could not have been done two years ago and come to market the way that it has. Yes, I know other devices can do a lot of what the iPhone can do but that's like saying there's a lot of other music players out there as well."
-- Michael Gartenberg, Jupiter Research
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
smile.gif
I love how that article tries to spin this as a positive quote.

So what he's saying is that there may be a lot of phones out there that work better, but thanks to Apple's superior marketing strategy nobody will buy them.

I might just agree with that.

It remains to be seen what the experience will be like on this finished product. Up until now all we are working with is the handful of models that have been produced to meet testing demands. Are these prototypes, hooked up to the network precisely as the production models will? How does it sound? Is dialing on a touchscreen as awkward as it looks? How well does the camera work? Does the touchscreen remain accurate for the life of the product? (One would assume that it would last about as long as a regular phone, so on average 2-3 years) How well does the screen lock while the phone is stowed in your pocket? Is your ear going to leave a big smudge on the screen every time you talk to someone? (yes,and the answer to that complaint is "buy a bluetooth headset"... Ha!), etc.

No matter how flashy the thing is, rule number one is that if you sell it as a phone, it better work as a phone. We just won't be able to tell until they start producing the things and hooking them up to the network en masse what the thing is actually going to do in the real world.

Personally, I think this thing looks like a hassle. Its pretty, no doubt, but no more so than the LG KE850.
lgke850ifoo7.jpg

Babar

Reaction score
The LG phone is what the Prada phone will be based on afaik. Since it looks exactly like the iPhone, it'll be interesting to see how they compare in actual use.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
The LG phone is what the Prada phone will be based on afaik. Since it looks exactly like the iPhone, it'll be interesting to see how they compare in actual use.
The LG is slightly larger overall and ever so slightly thicker, than the iPhone IIRC. Which makes the thing pretty damn big. The iPhone screen has better resolution, but I haven't heard anything about color yet. Hopefully its better than the crappy 16bit color screen they tried to foist off on people with the (IMO bullshit idea) video iPod. Yeah, I want to watch a movie on a tiny screen with like half the colors wrong. I'm THAT bored. Hopefully the thing has a KILLER snooze/power saving mode, cause that screen is going to suck the (non-replacable) battery dry in no time. Personally, I'm a fan of tactile buttons, this whole touch screen thing is just an eye-candy/gimmicky thing to me. I can speed dial a number without looking at my phone, since I know and can feel where the button is on my phone. I wonder how many people are going to crash their cars while trying to dial their new iPhone...

Brian SD

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA I love how that article tries to spin this as a positive quote.

So what he's saying is that there may be a lot of phones out there that work better, but thanks to Apple's superior marketing strategy nobody will buy them.

I might just agree with that.
The idea is more that there are lots of phones that have most of the iPhone's functions, but none of them are easy or convenient to use, and 100% of them look downright nerdy. I wouldn't trust the LG phone based on my personal experience of software for LG phones being absolute ****, and the phones in general poorly crafted and designed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics