• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Why not buy a Nokia N95 right now?

As well as being able to make calls with it, you get a 5 megapixel camera, 3G webbrowsing capability (including the ability to stream and download movies and internet TV, depending on mobile network capability), music, games and (potentially quite a useful feature) a GPS navigation device.

The screen is smaller than the iPhone, and it's not a touchscreen, but I think that once the hype dies down, the iPhone might find a rather lacklustre reception outside the US - simply because, as noted above, other markets already have phones that do just as much as, or more than, the iPhone and they do it for less money.

I like the N95. I've owned SymbianOS phones in the past, and I think Nokia makes a fine product. However, the Iphone has a few advantages over the N95. The screen, the interface (multi-touch is really quite impressive), the layout and usability (this is a pro and a con, since the ease of use limits the customizability), and the qwerty keyboard, even if it has no feedback.

A 3G N95 definitely has its own advantages, such as the network, expandability, customizability, GPS, camera(s), 3rd party software.. etc.

If you want a gadgety phone, the N95 wins hands down, but if you want a cool, fun, easy to use regular phone with a couple extras thrown in, the iPhone probably wins out. I agree with your assessment of the iPhone overseas. It might be initially successful due to the coolness factor, but beyond that, it's definitely nothing special when compared to other phones in the EU and JP markets.

fortune

Reaction score
Soooooo I picked up an iPhone this afternoon. Unlocking took a bit longer than I thought but I got it done. Only reason it took long is because I did it the free way messing w/ putty and pxl files and all that jazz. So far it's pretty awesome. Running on T-Mo. The only thing I don't like is how big my thumbs are so typing gets pretty hard
tongue.gif
I have to call T-Mo soon and get switched off my SK3 plan.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Finally got to play with an iPhone yesterday, it was cool. A local reseller has one working without a SIM, predicts that they're going to be able to start selling some time between November and January.

The software lags more than I thought it would, even with a wifi connection. But I had no problems with the keyboard and was really impressed with the screen. So I'll pick one up, but wait for 3G and hopefully a faster processor.

I think that once the 1.1.1 firmware is out and hacked, there's going to be a lot of really good development and there will be some sort of port for Open Office. Check out hackingt0sh.org for info on 3rd party development.

Babar

Reaction score
It's finally sold in more countries too! I guess the only thing that's disappointing about it is that the camera is the same as before, but I'll definitely get one for myself.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From another thread:

The stars have aligned: not only does my service contract with T-Mobile expire today, the same day the new iPhone 3G is announced, but it has finally reached my magical price point, $199. I received an iPhone which I sold last year as I didn't want to spend the money to cancel my contract, so this is the perfect reward for my patience. Huzzah!
I'm about as excited as I could be for a piece of consumer electronics. Tokyo Slim and I are going out for a celebratory drink.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
It's finally sold in more countries too! I guess the only thing that's disappointing about it is that the camera is the same as before, but I'll definitely get one for myself.

I think the piss-poor camera is a huge letdown for many people who expect this to be a "do everything" device.

I understand it would have raised the price, but an incremental upgrade to the camera would probably pull many customers away from the higher end smartphones like the N95.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I feel sorry for all those kids who have purchased iPhones before now. You own an obsolete hunk of plastic. Jobs wants you to go buy the new one and spend $200 more dollars! YOU MUST OBEY!!!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, people are falling for the 'it's cheaper!!' trick. Yes, it costs less to buy up front- but AT&T is increasing its minimum package for the phone $15 a month. Over the course of 2 years, that is MORE expensive than the 1st gen. And, they didn't update the processor/camera/memory?

I actually like the device just fine, but the service plans are ridiculous (and even worse with carriers like Verizon). But, we demand the latest and greatest on the phones, so we get those 'cheap' and then bent over per month.

bkk

Reaction score
Apple/AT&T will be forcing everyone to buy the phone from a brick and mortar store and activating at the store. No jailbreaks for you!

I'm perfectly happy with my 1st gen. Its jailbroken, it has all of the apps I want/need, I've got a great carrier in T-Mobile, and I'm only paying $20/month on top of my regular plan for unlimited data. I can deal without the 3G and GPS for all of the leeway of my current situation.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff
Once again, people are falling for the 'it's cheaper!!' trick. Yes, it costs less to buy up front- but AT&T is increasing its minimum package for the phone $15 a month. Over the course of 2 years, that is MORE expensive than the 1st gen. And, they didn't update the processor/camera/memory?

I actually like the device just fine, but the service plans are ridiculous (and even worse with carriers like Verizon). But, we demand the latest and greatest on the phones, so we get those 'cheap' and then bent over per month.

Yeah, lots of people haven't clued in that it costs more for the phone over the mandatory two-year contract. All they see is the lower initial cost. I guess that's marketing for you.

As far as the fact that you now must sign a contract to buy the phone and can no longer buy it "to be activated at home later", I wonder how it will play out to simply sign the contract and then pay the early termination fee. That's typically been $175 in the past and the phone then works out to about the same price as the 1st gen.

For myself, I didn't get the iPhone intially because Edge speeds just plain suck. I was waiting for the 2nd gen with 3G. But my PDA is being a jackass and I'm thinking of upgrading that so I'm holding out for the Xperia X1 since I do need to have WM in order to run a lot of the programs I use. Hopefully the release date doesn't get pushed back from the speculated Sep/Oct 2008 time frame.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbadbuff

iphones do not work on Verizon, even if unlocked.

The touch screen phones Verizon has are the LG Voyager and the Samsung Glyde. I just bought the LG Voyager and like it a bit more than the iphone, except the screen is smaller. Also I'm paying only $15 dollars a month extra for unlimited everything (except Mobile TV, which is another $10). However, compared to Blackberry's $40 - $60 additional monthly fee, it isn't too bad imo.

The iphone's biggest problem for me is the fact it has no keyboard. It makes the iphone too much of a toy and not enough of a smart phone.

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
Apple/AT&T will be forcing everyone to buy the phone from a brick and mortar store and activating at the store. No jailbreaks for you!

I'm perfectly happy with my 1st gen. Its jailbroken, it has all of the apps I want/need, I've got a great carrier in T-Mobile, and I'm only paying $20/month on top of my regular plan for unlimited data. I can deal without the 3G and GPS for all of the leeway of my current situation.

Uh, why wouldn't you be able to jailbreak it still?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
iphones do not work on Verizon, even if unlocked.

I was speaking of the fact that in most cases, Verizon is even more expensive than AT&T in data plans.

It's all relatively moot in a few years, when all major US/Intl carriers will move to LTE for their backbone. Then the 'exclusive to x carrier' bullshit will be history.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads