1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

2. Fulcannelli

Fulcannelli Senior member

Im a sucker... I want one

even though:

a) they are too expensive
    b) not enough space for music (want a one stop shop gadget)
    c) oh yeh, they are crap

3. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

the iPod, in any incarnation, is a novelty item

If Apple/AT&T had continued in their original agreement, then you'd be right. But, you now HAVE to sign up for AT&T service to get the device for the advertised price. When/if you can buy an unlocked device, it will be thru the roof- more than 1st gen. The person who cares about music more than the phone will not buy that, so the Ipod is still on safe ground for now.

A quick Ebay check shows used 1st gens (in allegedly great shape, but still used) going for $4-500. Um, thanks anyway.

4. Kodiak

Kodiak Senior member

OK, you can jailbreak it, but the new activation process circumvents the whole reason most of us want to jailbreak: to be free of AT&T's expensive plan and shackles.
    From the people that I know, they jailbreak it so they can have awesome apps.

5. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

OK, I just got my iPhone and have some questions. I've been iPod-less since I gave my first-gen to my brother, like, three or so years ago, so I'm having a tough time. Some questions:

- Is there any way I can download podcasts from the iPhone's iTunes store, or do I have to download them on my Mac and them transfer them via firewire (not even sure how to do it wirelessly).

- Any amazing apps I need? I downloaded the NYTimes app and despite the negative reviews (what the fuck) it's pretty awesome. Love it. Nothing tacky, don't want a glut of cheesy games (I'm waiting for Newtonica); just useful apps.

- Why is it so hard to type on this thing? My fingers aren't (that) fat.

- Earbuds. Looking for audiophile quality buds. Anything better than the Etymotics stuff? How about Ultimate Ears?

- A case. I'm rough on my phones. The cases in the AT&T store were gross (the salesperson laughed when I told her this). Can anyone point me to a nice case?

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

If it weren't for ATT's bullshit, I'd get one, but there's no way I'm putting up with that plan-cum-prison-rape. My current phone is a near four year old Nokia that's barely hanging on; any suggests for a reasonable replacement on ATT or tmobile? I've been out of plan with tmo for over two years now, so there is some leverage.

I was in the same situation.

I was out of contract and with T-mobile (and have been for years).

Rather than signing up for a 2 year contract, I bought a NIB T-mobile Dash from someone on craigslist for $99. It's my first PDA and I like it. I'm waiting for T-mobiles announced switch to a 3G network later thuis year ands I might upgrade the Dash but I'm happy with it as a first PDA. And my downside is was $99 with no contract extension. Not bad.

7. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Senior member

- Is there any way I can download podcasts from the iPhone's iTunes store, or do I have to download them on my Mac and them transfer them via firewire (not even sure how to do it wirelessly).

No. And you can't wirelessly sync your device.

I think Bloomberg is much better than the inbuilt stocks app (although it doesn't do commodities). Remember to turn the phone to landscape to look at charts though, to get more options.

There's a Pandora music player if you like that kind of thing. And a LastFM one too.

Lots of talking phrasebooks. They don't have many phrases but some of them are free. LonelyPlanet does the best I think and its Mandarin one is free (its others are quite pricey, in my opinion). Doubt they're actually useful without thousands of phrases, but who knows.

I find it gets easier, try just using a single finger rather than thumbs as you might on a regular phone.

I don't know much about buds (I use cans), but how much do you want to spend? Lots of brands, obviously. I'd at least look at obvious ones such as Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technika, Shure, Klipsch.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

I got the 3G as well.

I don't think there's a way.

I have:

- Accufuel, because I'm OCD about tracking my gas mileage. ($0.99)
    - BoxOffice (free)
    - PhoneSaber, just because (free)
    - Remote, because it's a very useful cool way to control your iTunes and AppleTV libraries at home (free)
    - Facebook, just so I can upload pictures conveniently, otherwise the web interface is much better (free)
    - Shazam and Midomi, which identify snippets of songs, and work amazingly well on most things but classical music (free)

One trick that worked for me is to make sure your finger covers the whole key. I had a need to see the key I was typing because there is no tactile feel, but once I got over that my typing speed improved considerably, and is comparable to my Treo typing speed.

Both are great. I have the Ety 4s. Keep in mind that the higher-end UEs require custom molds.

I use a microfiber bag I got from a sunglasses store for $7. It also works great as a cleaner because I just put the phone in the bag, and basically fondle the thing. I don't want a case for the thing in general, because that makes it fatter, and I like how thin it is in the first place.

I have the DLO Videoshell for my iPod Touch, and it's OK. I had to Dremel out the lower part of the case so the fatter iPod connectors would fit. It also doesn't really keep dirt out of the case. The best part is its little kickstand in the back that lets you stand the iPod up in landscape or portrait mode. That makes it a little easier to control than if it were on its back, and that iPod is usually in my office. In retrospect, I would have gone for a dock instead and also used a microfiber bag for the Touch.

--Andre

9. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

- A case. I'm rough on my phones. The cases in the AT&T store were gross (the salesperson laughed when I told her this). Can anyone point me to a nice case?

This isn't bad.

http://www.aprilinparis.us/shop/iphone_case

But it may make your iphone a little too thick and your wallet a little too light.

10. Manny Calavera

Thank you guys very, very much for the help.

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I use a microfiber bag I got from a sunglasses store for $7. It also works great as a cleaner because I just put the phone in the bag, and basically fondle the thing. I don't want a case for the thing in general, because that makes it fatter, and I like how thin it is in the first place.

Great idea. ^^^

12. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I'm sticking to my razor v3i until it dies. What's stupid about the iphone is that you can't travel with it unless you want to pay ridiculous fees when you use it in another country. I made one phone call with my razor when i was in south america and it cost me like 100 bucks. Then I got sim chip from peru. you can't do that with the iphone.

13. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

OK, I just got my iPhone and have some questions. I've been iPod-less since I gave my first-gen to my brother, like, three or so years ago, so I'm having a tough time. Some questions: - Is there any way I can download podcasts from the iPhone's iTunes store, or do I have to download them on my Mac and them transfer them via firewire (not even sure how to do it wirelessly).
    What do you think this is? You don't hold in your hand what you think you need, you hold in your hand what Cupertino allows!
    Because the typing interface sucks. [​IMG]
    I'd recommend this.

14. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're just jealous, TS.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

You're just jealous, TS.

Yep you caught me, I was just about to trade in my awesome Moto Q9 global, for a POS iPhone 3G.

[​IMG]

16. Manny Calavera

I'd recommend this.

I admit, I lawl'ed.

And thanks for the microfiber recommendation Andre. Swung by my cousin's optical shop today and stole a bag. It has the D&G logo on it but it's black, keeps the phone clean and takes up very little space. Perfect.

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

And thanks for the microfiber recommendation Andre. Swung by my cousin's optical shop today and stole a bag. It has the D&G logo on it but it's black, keeps the phone clean and takes up very little space. Perfect.

I grabbed one as well.

But can anyone recommend anything nicer?

I've had my eyes on these for the last little bit (ignore the cost factor for now):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Manny Calavera

Whoa, checked out the Hard Graft site and was impressed. Are they a new company? I could find very little info. Any North American stockists?

19. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Whoa, checked out the Hard Graft site and was impressed. Are they a new company? I could find very little info. Any North American stockists?

I believe they used to be called workingclassheroes before?

No clue on NA stockists unfortunately.