• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did you just get one for free? wow

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
From the pre-release review I just read, it seems to SUCK to input text into it, It's intuitive text is practically worthless at this stage, Its "touchscreen" requires pretty forceful presses to register, and its EDGE doesn't work well.

The fact that its also a fingerprint magnet was also mentioned. It comes with a polishing cloth.

The bluetooth headset is ugly and costs $120 dollars.

I'm sure there was some good news in there somewhere, but I don't think that I'm capable of discerning what it is.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
It's got a glass screen. Once they hit revision two or three, I'm gonna dump my blackberry for it, most likely.

Hopefully they'll have an external flash slot, or something, by then. 8Gb of memory is rock awesome, but when you're using it as a cell phone, mp3 player, and portable dvd player, 8Gb is piddly.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
It's got a glass screen. Once they hit revision two or three, I'm gonna dump my blackberry for it, most likely.

Hopefully they'll have an external flash slot, or something, by then. 8Gb of memory is rock awesome, but when you're using it as a cell phone, mp3 player, and portable dvd player, 8Gb is piddly.

Make sure you try out the text input before you ditch your blackberry... Its supposedly so awkward and slow that the reviewer actually SAID "this will never replace my blackberry".

smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
... your perspective of beauty is skewed.

Hot
02_01_b.jpg

This is a true asian beauty.

Not
sweetsetup560247.jpg

This is some ugly American with a muffin-top, mall rat, hummer driving, hoochie mama ****.

I guarantee you that the guy that owns the computers on the bottom plays everquest. There was a whole group of people that prided themserlves on playing whole groups of characters at once (usually for farming purposes). One guy even posted pics of how he modded his bed so that he could have 6 screens surrounding him and he'd never have to get out of it.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Make sure you try out the text input before you ditch your blackberry... Its supposedly so awkward and slow that the reviewer actually SAID "this will never replace my blackberry".

smile.gif

I'm gonna be playing with it the day it comes out. However, I suspect it will be exactly like my Pearl: awkward for a week, acceptable for a month or two, then blazing fast. It's all about training the typing program and building some muscle memory.

That being said, the interface so far looks AMAZING. Much as I love the Blackberry interface, the iPhone one is intuitive and generally well designed.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I love about all this, more than anything else, is that the crunchy lefties who for years have loved their Macs as though they are sort of counter-culture anti-big business are now slowly realizing that the business they are supporting is the very "big" corporate entity they once thought that they were bravely resisting.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
I'm gonna be playing with it the day it comes out. However, I suspect it will be exactly like my Pearl: awkward for a week, acceptable for a month or two, then blazing fast. It's all about training the typing program and building some muscle memory.

That being said, the interface so far looks AMAZING. Much as I love the Blackberry interface, the iPhone one is intuitive and generally well designed.

You are going to love re-learning how to type with one finger on the iPhone after learning to type with your thumbs on the blackberry.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
You are going to love re-learning how to type with one finger on the iPhone after learning to type with your thumbs on the blackberry.

Seems like thumbs would be possible, with the proper placement. Probably wont be touch typing, though; lack of tactile feedback and all.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
What I love about all this, more than anything else, is that the crunchy lefties who for years have loved their Macs as though they are sort of counter-culture anti-big business are now slowly realizing that the business they are supporting is the very "big" corporate entity they once thought that they were bravely resisting.

I definitely get a much stronger Big Brother vibe from Apple than MS at this point. As a matter of fact, their emphasis on aesthetic homogeneity and insistence on turning more and more aspects of human life into something technological and centralized is rather fascist.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
^Please elaborate...

Well, totalitarian governments seek to subsume every aspect of their people's lives. Also, aesthetic unity through a novel visual idiom and set of iconography was an important tool in the expansion of Nazi society.

Similarly, Apple seeks to incorporate entire new parts of daily human life under what we can loosely call the "I*" world, and they do this under a very stark, indistinguishable design scheme.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That would fit nicely into what we know about you.
starship_troopers_large_05.jpg
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads