iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Jan 10, 2007.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Did you just get one for free? wow

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

From the pre-release review I just read, it seems to SUCK to input text into it, It's intuitive text is practically worthless at this stage, Its "touchscreen" requires pretty forceful presses to register, and its EDGE doesn't work well.

The fact that its also a fingerprint magnet was also mentioned. It comes with a polishing cloth.

The bluetooth headset is ugly and costs $120 dollars.

I'm sure there was some good news in there somewhere, but I don't think that I'm capable of discerning what it is.

3. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

It's got a glass screen. Once they hit revision two or three, I'm gonna dump my blackberry for it, most likely.

Hopefully they'll have an external flash slot, or something, by then. 8Gb of memory is rock awesome, but when you're using it as a cell phone, mp3 player, and portable dvd player, 8Gb is piddly.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

It's got a glass screen. Once they hit revision two or three, I'm gonna dump my blackberry for it, most likely.

Hopefully they'll have an external flash slot, or something, by then. 8Gb of memory is rock awesome, but when you're using it as a cell phone, mp3 player, and portable dvd player, 8Gb is piddly.

Make sure you try out the text input before you ditch your blackberry... Its supposedly so awkward and slow that the reviewer actually SAID "this will never replace my blackberry".

[​IMG]

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

... your perspective of beauty is skewed.

Hot
    [​IMG]
    This is a true asian beauty.

Not
    [​IMG]
    This is some ugly American with a muffin-top, mall rat, hummer driving, hoochie mama shit.

I guarantee you that the guy that owns the computers on the bottom plays everquest. There was a whole group of people that prided themserlves on playing whole groups of characters at once (usually for farming purposes). One guy even posted pics of how he modded his bed so that he could have 6 screens surrounding him and he'd never have to get out of it.

6. MCsommerreid

Make sure you try out the text input before you ditch your blackberry... Its supposedly so awkward and slow that the reviewer actually SAID "this will never replace my blackberry".

[​IMG]

I'm gonna be playing with it the day it comes out. However, I suspect it will be exactly like my Pearl: awkward for a week, acceptable for a month or two, then blazing fast. It's all about training the typing program and building some muscle memory.

That being said, the interface so far looks AMAZING. Much as I love the Blackberry interface, the iPhone one is intuitive and generally well designed.

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

What I love about all this, more than anything else, is that the crunchy lefties who for years have loved their Macs as though they are sort of counter-culture anti-big business are now slowly realizing that the business they are supporting is the very "big" corporate entity they once thought that they were bravely resisting.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I'm gonna be playing with it the day it comes out. However, I suspect it will be exactly like my Pearl: awkward for a week, acceptable for a month or two, then blazing fast. It's all about training the typing program and building some muscle memory.

That being said, the interface so far looks AMAZING. Much as I love the Blackberry interface, the iPhone one is intuitive and generally well designed.

You are going to love re-learning how to type with one finger on the iPhone after learning to type with your thumbs on the blackberry.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

One guy even posted pics of how he modded his bed so that he could have 6 screens surrounding him and he'd never have to get out of it.

Sounds nerdy to me...

Jon.

10. MCsommerreid

You are going to love re-learning how to type with one finger on the iPhone after learning to type with your thumbs on the blackberry.

Seems like thumbs would be possible, with the proper placement. Probably wont be touch typing, though; lack of tactile feedback and all.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

What I love about all this, more than anything else, is that the crunchy lefties who for years have loved their Macs as though they are sort of counter-culture anti-big business are now slowly realizing that the business they are supporting is the very "big" corporate entity they once thought that they were bravely resisting.

I definitely get a much stronger Big Brother vibe from Apple than MS at this point. As a matter of fact, their emphasis on aesthetic homogeneity and insistence on turning more and more aspects of human life into something technological and centralized is rather fascist.

12. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

^Please elaborate...

13. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

^Please elaborate...

Well, totalitarian governments seek to subsume every aspect of their people's lives. Also, aesthetic unity through a novel visual idiom and set of iconography was an important tool in the expansion of Nazi society.

Similarly, Apple seeks to incorporate entire new parts of daily human life under what we can loosely call the "I*" world, and they do this under a very stark, indistinguishable design scheme.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Yes, because when I see this:

[​IMG]

I automatically think of this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jon.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

That would fit nicely into what we know about you. [​IMG] [​IMG]