• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like how people criticize Apple for putting out a phone without goofy NFC but Google puts out one with no LTE.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To release a phone without LTE makes no sense to me. And I still think a 4.7" screen is too big.

I don't mind the extra height on the iPhone screen. Somewhat surprised that most apps are taking so long to get updated in order to make use of it.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To release a phone without LTE makes no sense to me. And I still think a 4.7" screen is too big.

I don't mind the extra height on the iPhone screen. Somewhat surprised that most apps are taking so long to get updated in order to make use of it.

They have to create new art resources and in many cases rethink the UI. To do it right, it can take time. I'd rather see a delay then sloppy updates.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They have to create new art resources and in many cases rethink the UI. To do it right, it can take time. I'd rather see a delay then sloppy updates.

I agree that it's more difficult than most might imagine, but it's not as if the new resolution was a well-kept secret...it was speculated about for months before release.

I'm not really complaining, as everything's perfectly usable. Just would have expected app makes to be more on top of things. Of course, for certain apps it's harder than for others.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Example - BBC news. For a news app of that sort, you're basically just increasing the vertical resolution so more stories fit on the screen. Should be relatively simple.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I agree that it's more difficult than most might imagine, but it's not as if the new resolution was a well-kept secret...it was speculated about for months before release.

If you are head of a small app development company that was not let in on the changes by Apple before the announcement, would you bet thousands of dollars of development time on rumors and speculation? That's the reason why more apps are not ready. Developers waited till they knew the facts.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
please someone give me a lead to a case that doesn't look like dogshit spread onto your phone with a trowel

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
My Last Word homescreen.

6A3E38DD-0520-4677-94FE-E952CBC034A2-10021-000002DCF7655CAF.jpg

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's weird that you keep your phone/dialer and sms in a folder thereby requiring two clicks to use.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

That's weird that you keep your phone/dialer and sms in a folder thereby requiring two clicks to use.

You need to think aggregate clicks/swipes in a day. I rarely have to move off that screen.

Plus, I can see a maximum of my beautiful picture. :)

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They claim to have a fundamental reason which seems consistent with the Nexus ethos
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/29/3569688/why-nexus-4-does-not-have-4g-lte

Quote:

For Google, Nexus is a flagship brand that represents the best of Android, with Google leading by example to show other hardware manufacturers what Android can be. And though partners build the hardware, Google wants direct control of the software on Nexus devices with no carrier intervention. That alone means Google can't sell an LTE device, as there's simply no access to LTE networks without working with carriers in one way or another: Verizon and Sprint's LTE networks still require compatibility with their 3G CDMA systems, and there's essentially no such thing as an unlocked CDMA device. AT&T's fledgling LTE network runs on different frequencies than other LTE networks around the world, so Google would have to build a custom phone for just 77 markets in the US. Doing that without AT&T's financial assistance makes little sense.

Direct control over over the software released on hardware without carrier intervention? Hmmmmm... I wonder who has that? Oh yeah, Apple!

Whole thing's an excuse because they didn't make the same sort of deals Apple did with the carriers. Now it's ******* them over. Some great "open" handset ecosystem they got going there. The Nexus is the only true Android phone being sold in the USA and now it's also being crippled due to wireless carrier control. Keep enjoying your garbage skins and preloaded carrier bloat-ware apps that you have to hack off your phones guys.

People often fail to see the simple ways in which Apple's products have a level of freedom from the carriers no other handsets can match.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads