iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

There has never been a recall.

2. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I use this:

http://www.scanbizcards.com/

It's similar. card munch does not look like it has had an update since 2011. The most recent reviews are pretty negative. Scan Biz works but does struggle to capture everything correctly. I had to make a lot of corrections. Still, it is much easier than entering all of the information manually. Would recommend.

3. Piobaire

Thanks, Willie.

Frog...is your phone still white? :devil:

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I love how most reviews point out that it's the "best iPhone yet." As if anyone was expecting Apple to release a phone that's inferior to the models they released in the years past. :laugh:

Honestly it's been some good review buzz. Some say the new screen takes getting used to, and that's something I already expected. Still waiting on reviews from Verge and Arstechnica. The later spends the most time getting into the technical details if you are into that sort of thing.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

5. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

so it looks like the 5 is not backward compatible with something called an iPod out, and therefore it can't be docked with BMW iDrive. sucks. hoping for an aftermarket solution

6. Piobaire

When I read things like, "It's the best iPhone yet" I wonder why they are not comparing it to the competition.

7. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Looks like a possible issue with scuff marks around the edge-

"Ditching the glass back and reducing the thickness of the glass panel on the front has affected the design of the metal band around the edge of the iPhone. It is now chamfered and while that looks pretty, we've already noticed that on the black model the edge has started to wear, revealing the shiny silver aluminium metal underneath the "slate" coloured coating and, indeed, we've witnessed it on two separate models, ruling out a fluke manufacturing error.

These small scuffs will catch the light and make the phone look visibly worn. We suspect that it won't be as noticeable on the white model because the metal edging is silver, so that's worth bearing in mind when you come to order your color choice."

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5989/apple-iphone-5-phone-review

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am excited to see how these newly designed earphones feel and sound.

9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Could it be they do not believe they have competition? If you follow the hyperbole at their keynotes they make it pretty clear that they are the best thing running.

OR-It could be because they know the iPhone is not going to win the specs race and it's not meant to so why bother. The iPhone is meant to work. ex.-Why put in NFC is it is not readily available in the market place? etc. The phone will work as advertised an do what is meant to do.

Just speculating on my part.

10. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I guess it will depend on your standards. If you are expecting them to rival an expensive pair head phones ($100+) you will probably be very disappointed. From what I have read it looks like they would hold their own against other sets that are in the $50-$75 range. Personally I was fine with the old ones, so I am expecting the newer ones to be a big step up. Either way I view the Apple headphones as an everyday headphone. If I want to go higher end then I have my Bose, Beats or Klipsch sets to fall back on.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Actually, that's what Apple is saying too, surprisingly.

@pB:
    I literally lol'ed when Cook talked about how they designed the earphones to direct the sound into the ear. (oh no, you didn't)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i typically have fairly fancy headphones, but they just clonked out this past weekend. Need new ones, i'm heartbroken and bored without them.

13. b1os

b1os Senior member

I got the triple.fi 10 in ears for 100€ and they're pretty nice. Quite hi-fi. Fit can be a little problematic, but I figured it out.

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

No, the reviews are. Many of them do compare the phone to the competition, it's just speaking in terms for an iPhone user wanting to know if they should upgrade.

I read that, but they seem to be the only ones to bring it up yet. So take it worth a grain of salt for now. It's best to wait till these launch and get in more users hands.

15. Piobaire

I am speaking of independent reviewers. Well, at least they're independent on a theoretical basis.