• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

blairh

Reaction score

AT&T and Verizon are sold out
Apple stopped taking ordered altogether.
Jesus

Where are you coming up with this? AT&T is still taking orders, just with a quote of 2-3 weeks for delivery. Apple is still stating a 2 week delivery time as of right this second.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found him a better avatar.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my phone is being shipped 9/21

I realize that it is being shipped meaning another 2-3 days lol

I'm excited to tinker with it upon arrival.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Lulz

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also not looking forward to missing out on swype. That, and integration with google products are my biggest concerns regarding making the switch from Android.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, its an Apple control-freak issue. They refuse to allow apps that duplicate the functionality of their own design so on one hand you don't have 500 terrible keyboard apps like android does...but you also don't get swype.

Not sure I would frame it as "control-freak," but yes Apple has been hesitant to allow third party apps replace basic OS functionality. I'm fine with the stock keyboard, but believe it would be nice to able able to set a different default email client if one wished.

For the past ten years, I've used an old candybar phone that works simply as a phone (no camera, internet, anything). I pay $40 a month for 600 mins day, unlimited nights/weekends, unlimited texts received, but none w/ pictures, and 40 cents to send a text. My earpiece broke a few months ago, and the reception's been bad for years and seems to be getting worse.

Am thinking of making the leap to the iPhone, but I'm not sure I need it. Would be nice to receive texts w/ photos (like of my new niece a couple days ago), and I'd occasionally like to have internet access and gps. A camera would be neat to have too. I have and use an ipod and this would replace that for most uses.

But the probable cost scares me. How much would I need to spend on the iphone to make it worthwhile? A quick look on AT&T's website indicates $60 for the 1000 min plan (400 is too little. Y no 6-800, ATT?), plus $20 to be able to send and receive texts, plus $20 for basic internet (or do I need the faster one?).

Looks like the monthly fee would be $100, not including tax or fees. Does that sound right? If so, ouch. My work gives me a 15% discount on AT&T or Sprint, so that'd help a bit. But after taxes and fees, I'm guessing it's still going to be just over $100.

Would another phone and/or plan be better if I wanted to use it as a phone for the most part, be able to receive texts for free (or cheaper than $20 a month), and occasionally look something up on the internet? All thoughts appreciated.

Nah, its an Apple control-freak issue. They refuse to allow apps that duplicate the functionality of their own design so on one hand you don't have 500 terrible keyboard apps like android does...but you also don't get swype.

Not sure I would frame it as "control-freak," but yes Apple has been hesitant to allow third party apps replace basic OS functionality. I'm fine with the stock keyboard, but believe it would be nice to able able to set a different default email client if one wished.

Have you tried Swype? I'm not really sure I could go back and plan to try typing on an iPhone prior to any decision.

The success of the iPhone 5 pre-order should not surprise anyone. As weird as it was to wake up at 2:55 am this morning, I was back asleep at 3:05 am. By 10 am this morning AT&T was quoting 2-3 weeks for delivery on pre-orders. And right now Apple's site is at 2 weeks and bound to be 3 by the end of the day.

The lines at the stores next Friday are going to be crazy.

With respect to AT&T, you get throttled at 3 GB on an unlimited plan with respect to 3G. That gets bumped up to 5 GB on LTE plans.

Verizon forcing customers to purchase unsubsidized iPhone 5's to keep their unlimited plans is so messed up IMO. Personally I've never gone over 2 GB's in one month in the 4 years of owning an iPhone.

yeah it blows but I have never used more then 2GB either, but I don't like knowing I have a limit. Oh well, Verizon service has never let me down and IME the data downloads faster on Verizon.

You know otc and piobaire, I honestly feel nothing but sadness for both of you. I blocked you both because you were being ******* douches to me, and that bothers you both so much that you need to communicate with me by leaving snarky comments in a space that was meant for positive feedback.

What's amazing is that you both are not just losers but losers to this extent. I honestly find it comical at this point. Here I am contributing to this subject and here you both are, as little children with no lives, continuing to take shots at me.

Knock yourself out. I'm not mad. I just find it so deeply pathetic.

I'm here for you bro, someone called me out a while back but I found it entertaining. Don't sweat it maybe they were just playing. :)

OTC and Pio, this does not mean jump on me now...unless you want to JUMP on me....then we might have something ;)

So my phone is being shipped 9/21

I realize that it is being shipped meaning another 2-3 days lol

I'm excited to tinker with it upon arrival.

I need to buy 2 iphone 5's, I didn't preorder this time. Ill take my chances and stop by the store in the am. Ill update you guys if I get it the day of.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need to buy 2 iphone 5's, I didn't preorder this time. Ill take my chances and stop by the store in the am. Ill update you guys if I get it the day of.

Dude, did blairh just call you a loser?

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Where are you coming up with this? AT&T is still taking orders, just with a quote of 2-3 weeks for delivery. Apple is still stating a 2 week delivery time as of right this second.

my bad. i read a few blurbs about while taking a bathroom break.

carry on.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude, did blairh just call you a loser?

oh :paranoia: well I was not aware of that, oh well.

I try not to take negative comments made on the internet seriously, but eh.

let the iphone talk continue

blairh

Reaction score

oh :paranoia: well I was not aware of that, oh well.
I try not to take negative comments made on the internet seriously, but eh.
let the iphone talk continue

I never called you a loser. I have no idea what b1os is talking about.

blairh

Reaction score

Huge loser, sorry.

b1os, what the **** is your problem?

When I wrote that, I was speaking in general terms. It was not directed at CalTex or anyone specifically. If he wants to wait in line, that's his choice. So when you say I called him a loser, you're just starting **** for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Get a ******* life man.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys that pre-ordered late but got an email from Apple today saying I'll be getting my iphone delivered on the 21st.

Now the waiting begins.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hey B1os, instead of mucking up this thread by trolling blairh why don't you make yourself useful and type up a handy guide on how to jailbreak an iPhone. Be sure to include links to where one can then download copies of all the popular iOS paid apps for free. This will be of great benefit to the forum, because as we know everyone in society should get to pick and choose what they pay for. :fonz:

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i ordered at about 12:30 - 1 AM on Apple website and yet to receive confirmation :(

Like only the initial one right after I ordered.

nvm

iPhone 5 16GB Black & Slate (GSM), AT&T

$199.00

$199.00

Available to ship: Delivers 9/21

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics