iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

One thing I love about the Apple Iphone is it's smaller size (especially compared to phones in your chart). It's a phone so I don't need a particularly large screen. I watched 2 movies on it (4s) on a train ride without any issues. I was without a laptop for a few weeks so web browsing sucked on it (but I just cut back). Having seen the previous/current model Lumia in person I really do feel it's too large (maybe I'd get used to it) particularly for something I'd place in pocket of tight-ish jeans.

2. otc

otc Senior member

its only a $100 difference between the 4S and the 5. Getting the 4 would be a bad idea (and you are likely to see issues with major updates/app support by the end of the contract).

I assumed this was pretty obvious from the fact that they kept touting that it was "All Digital" (as opposed to "Supports your old Analog stuff").

Dunno if this is an issue for cars, but a lot of stereo docks use the analog audio out combined with the remote control functions (since it is easier than interfacing over usb and having your own D/A hardware)

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Hmmm... where does this leave my Peachtree iDac?

lefty

4. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

This is a tacit admission that they're not willing to be innovators anymore. What does a large % of the market have to do with anything? Why do i need other people to do wireless charging to do it myself?
    I absolutely hate plugging in my iphone every night and at work. First world problem, I know, but it's annoying. Being able to just drop it on a pad on my desk or night table would make me happy. And ditto with NFC. Unless you put it in popular phones, nobody will ever use it. It's a chicken and egg problem. If they had bothered to put it in the iphone, that would speed adoption among merchants and other companies.

5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Wait, isn't the whole interface, old and new, digital? Both work via USB which is a digital format.

The analog signal is what you get out of the headphone jack.

6. Jr Mouse

Being innovative does not mean a company chooses to jump on every new technology that comes along.

I really don't care that much about wireless charging. If they ever do it fine, but it's not that big of a deal. I will wager it's not for most users either.

I agree that they should have included NFC, but read my earlier post on why they did not.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. A Y

A Y Senior member

The all-digital Lightning connector's the thing that concerns me most about the IPhone 5. The 30-pin connector had analog outputs on it. There's conjecture that the Lightning adapter is relatIvely expensive because it has a DAC inside to make those analog signals. Who knows?

No iPod out isn't conclusive right now because that refers to the feature that lets the iPod interface be reflected onto another control screen, like a car audio system.

I think there's more reason to hope for stuff like the Peachtree DAC because those devices take a digital signal, and they had to be licensed from Apple to do so (mostly DRM issues).

8. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I love when people think that their prima donna demands are important. I would write a strongly worded letter to Apple immediately asking for them to halt the release until your issue is addressed. I am more than certain they will give it exactly the attention it deserves. Good luck.

9. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

apps, aside from games, work mostly well one-handed. But games, anything involving typing, and web browsing on sites not optimized for mobile require two hands to do well. I do more of the latter than the former. Maybe my real-world usage is 50/50... I don't know exactly... But I do know a larger screen/phone is a worthwhile trade-off for me and a lot of other people.

In terms of ergonomics, the 3gs is actually way better than the 4/4s. The 4/4s are pretty but I was surprised a couple weeks ago how much I hated the feel of their sharp corners when I used my friend's phone for a few minutes whereas the 3gs feels just right in your hand.

Once the devices are all out I'll make my final decision but I'd be surprised if i went with an iphone over a gs3 or lumia 920.

10. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

I am certainly beginning to agree with you. I really think the only thing that I use that will be affected is my xm radio mount. I will also no longer be able to use all of the chargers unless I go buy 5 adapters. While it does suck I guess I will have to get over it.

The thing that is annoying is the only thing the new connector does allow them to make the phone thinner. If they made charging it faster, then it would be a descent trade off. Change is hard.

11. blairh

blairh Senior member

I can only speak from my personal use, but like I said, 90% of the time I get by just fine using my iPhone with one hand. Two hands really only comes into play when I'm writing a long email in landscape. I don't pinch to zoom very much when browsing. And I'll have to do so even less with a longer screen now.

Can't say I feel any sharp corners when using my iPhone 4. The flat backing eliminates the ability to comfortably grip the back of your phone during phone calls, but I've gotten accustomed to the flat iPhone backing.

Obviously you need to pick the phone you like best. The weight of the iPhone 5 is a huge selling point for me, along with other factors too.

12. Jr Mouse

Yeah, but as I pointed out earlier people won't have to use the adapter with their cars. Most cars that sync and can control the output from an iPhone/iPod do this via USB ports in the car. It's not like cars have iPhone docks built into the dash. It's not Lightning itself that Apple is saying won't be comparable with "iPod Out" and video out, it's the $29 adapter for older docks. Lightning itself should perform the same when plugged in via USB, thus vehicles and a lot of home stereos should not be affected by this change.

13. Jr Mouse

Oh wow... iPhone 5 won't support simultaneous voice and data over Verizon or Sprint's LTE networks.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3328492/iphone-5-simultaneous-voice-data-verizon-sprint

Hopefully someone will find out why and report on it ASAP. While this was the case on their 3G CDMA phones, LTE devices fixed this issue for these networks. Why the iPhone 5 would be an exception to this, is unknown. Unless this changes, I cannot recommend someone goes with either of these carriers for the new iPhone. AT&T would have a clear advantage here.

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

HOLY SHIT!

Thank God I'm on AT&T.

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I'm trying to work out what's going on here..

iPhone 5 US Apple Store.
    [​IMG]

iPhone 5 UK Apple Store.
    [​IMG]

So the iPhone 5 in the US priced from $199, yet in the UK it's 529 GBP, that's a whopping $850 USD!! :puzzled: A case of ripoff Britain? It's heavily carrier subsidised in the US but not in the UK perhaps?

No comments about China pricing, because it's not available here yet. Apple's website still shows the iPhone 4S here.