Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yes.

2. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Thanks. Guess I'll be waiting at midnight then...

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Don't do the iPhone 4. It's two years old and you will miss out on Siri. Personally I would do the iPhone 5, but if you are that strapped for cash the 4S wouldn't be a bad choice. Just remember that $100, spread over two years, is not that much money.

4. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

but you're a millionaire bro, get the 5 and buy platinum accessories.

I preordered the 4 and received it a day or two before the official Verizon release. I did not pre order the 4s and bought two of them in a store on release day.

5. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

Not sure. My boss has one for her new 4 or 4s and it looks like a tank. But then it does lose the "sex appeal" in part what makes an iPhone an iPhone if i were to use a casing. My friend has an older model and does not use a case and his phone is fine. It is really relative IMO and I am prone to dropping my phones.

I don't see how it gets to be $4 a month for the phone at $199 / 24 months...my math is bad though. FWIW I still prefer a PC to Mac though and do not see that changing anytime soon.

I usually stick it through the 2 year contract so I doubt I'll be moving to any new models that may come out in 1 to 1.5 year. The early termination fee is just not worth it to me.

Random thought, I wish I had my coworkers corporate grandfathered Sprint plan. Something like $50 a month for a new iPhone 5 and unlimited data/talk/text :(

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Ultimately, it's a tradeoff. For me, and I think many people, it's well worth sacrificing how easy it is to use one-handed for a screen that makes everything else less cumbersome to do. Most of the time when i'm using my phone i'm using two hands anyway, even with my current iphone.

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

Yep. The screen of my old iPod Touch is so damn small. Can't really use it for browsing.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

8. Jr Mouse

Does the wireless charging kit add any bulk to the S3? I'm asking, because I honestly don't know. It's a nice feature, but generally charges devices much slower then a cable does.

In terms of NFC, it's not just any possible thickness that it might add to the phone. They are low power antennas that take up a lot of surface space on devices. Most phones that have the technology have some form of plastic back so it can work without the signal being blocked. The iPhone 5 has that metal band that would block the signal. Until they either change the phone's design or engineer around this problem, it won't happen.

Also keep in mind that the tech is hardly widely used right now. Apple tends to only adopt technology that will be useful for its customers. What's the point of including it in your phone, when hardly any stores in 2012 have the ability to take payments with it? Don't get me wrong, I had hoped Apple would include the tech and push it forward but I understand the reasoning why they didn't.

9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

10. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Its not just about added thickness, the article also mentioned apple not wanting to add wireless charging unless it was implemented by a large percentage of the market.

What happens when you're phone dies and you need to make a phone call? Even with wireless charging you would still need a dock that is connected to an outlet. Similar to what some nextel phones had back in the early 2000s.

11. blairh

blairh Senior member

I find this very odd. It's pretty rare that I use my iPhone with two hands.

12. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

iPhone 5 Adapter Will Not Support Video and iPod Out

(linked article is posted below)

After Apple’s big announcement event yesterday there were so many specs and scraps of minutiae to comb through that its not surprising a few details slipped through.

When Apple announced it’s new 8-pin Lightning connector for the iPhone 5, it quickly followed up by debuting the adapter that will enable Apple fans to keep using all the iPhone accessories they’ve collected that use the old 30-pin connector. It’s $30, but that seems like a small price to pay to not have to buy an entirely new lineup of accessories. Too bad customers might have to buy new accessories anyway.

Today, CNN Money pointed out that Apple’s product listing for their new Lightning to 30-pin adapters states that the product does not support video or iPod Out* formats. That means the adapter isn’t likely to work with some existing iPod docks.

Some stereos with iPod docks that use the iPod Out format won’t work correctly with the adapter. Certainly, entertainment systems will not be streaming video from iPhone 5s. Also, many adapters built into the sound systems of cars may no longer work with the adapter.

For Apple, the situation isn’t much to sweat about. It will still sell millions of iPhone 5′s, whether or not those customers are actually aware that their video accessories will not work with the phone. At that point, a second revenue stream will kick in, with customers either buying the expensive adapter, replacing their accessories with Lightning-compatible ones, or both.

For customers, on the other hand, this could be seen as a lesson in just how expensive proprietary formats can end up being in the long run.

*NOTE: The iPod Out format is not analogous to Audio Out

14. Jr Mouse

Shit, my stereo iPhone dock that I use at home better work...

EDIT: They mention cars, but the VAST majority of them use USB input. It's not like many vehicles have an actual iPhone dock built into the dash. I wouldn't worry about this as you will be able to plug your iPhone 5 in via the USB port just fine.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

There is pre-ordering and there is being a fan boi and ordering at 12am Pacific time.