iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. otc

otc Senior member

I know you are just an angry fanboy...but don't forget that the 4/4s were heavy as shit. Those things were glass-sided bricks.

I actually think the heft feels good in your hand, like you are holding something real, but to think the average iphone consumer actually cares about weight doesn't make any sense. All of the morons lining up outside the apple store (and the smart people placing orders/going to other stores) won't so much as touch the phone before they own it

2. dcg

dcg Senior member

So this is pretty much exactly what anyone who was following the rumors was expecting. For those who are disappointed, what were you hoping for?

This will be my first iPhone. Looking forward to trying something new after 2 years of Samsung and Android. And I am anything but an Apple fanboy (Rambo can confirm this).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

So what happens to all your apps when you buy a new iPhone? Do you get to move them to your new one?

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

My experience (and that's all it is, one person's experience) is that the screens on iPhones break WAY more often than any other device. A few times a week I see someone with a spiderwebbed screen on their iPhone. Can't really recall ever seeing one on an Android device.

Apple makes products that look nice in the showroom and have a solid feel, but don't seem to hold up all that well out in the real world. Plastic phones may feel cheap, but when dropped, the plastic can deform and absorb the impact. Glass and aluminum, not so much.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I don't have any paid apps that I'd feel bad about losing if changed phones. I guess I just don't get too heavy on the apps compared to some. I've seen people take it overboard on the apps for sure.

6. Piobaire

To dropping phones...I've dropped my Samsung probably 20 times onto various surfaces, including pavement several times and tile more than once. No case and the only damage appears to be a few small scuffs on the case edge. Similar treatment to an iPhone can expect screen damage? Is that enough for your replacement insurance to kick in?

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

Otc, you are one seriously ignorant fuck. Before I add you to my block list and never have to deal with your absurd bullshit anymore, let me respond and be done with you for good.

For starters, I am not an Apple fanboy. In fact I greet all new Android flagship releases with great enthusiasm. This might have been completely lost on you when I started the One X thread and even took the time to snap photos of it and share my views. I even began the SIII thread and was very enthusastic about handling the phone when it was first released. I've even already stated within this thread that a wider screen a la the Lumia 920 would have potentially been superior compared to just a taller iPhone 5 screen. So please, spare me your petty and absurd fanboy claims.

I don't agree with this concept that the added weight of a smartphone is a 'good' thing. In fact I always want my phone to be lighter and thinner. I'm thrilled that the iPhone 5 is 20% lighter than the 4/4S. Your statement that you like a little weight in your phone is puzzling because in the same breath you mention how 'heavy as shit' the 4/4S are. As if that wasn't enough, you take a swipe at the weight of the 4/4S and fail to mention that most Android devices are essentially equal in weight to the 4/4S.

Your need to classify iPhone fans as 'morons' really says it all. We are the characterization from the Samsung ads. The zombies who wait in line outside the store because we must be seen later in the week with Apple's latest and greatest. Not only is it an empty and ridiculous insult, it says everything that I need to know about you and how insignificant and irrelevant your words are here.

And with that, goodbye Otc. And before you provide your bullshit response, please realize that I'll have already blocked you so I won't be subjected to your additional utter nonsense. But I'm sure the fellow forum members will greatly appreciate your wisdom.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i think they sync to itunes automatically then when you get a new one they just move over.

they might both be made of the same glass, not sure.

in any event, most people i know with iPhones (er ... most people I know) have cases. Good idea IMO.

9. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

i'm a little disappointed. It's a definite step up from the 4S, but not enough for me to want to upgrade before I have to renew my contract. I don't have any problems with the screen size on the 4S, do so the 5 doesn't appeal to me in that way. Was hoping for more regarding digital payments, face unlock, and I don't really see the new chargers as an upgrade (but wireless charging would have been awesome).

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I have a Fendi case :eek: I'm half serious with it

11. Piobaire

Thanks, Gome. Do I need to start a new iTunes account vs. the one I have my iPods on?

I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger in a couple months when I can order from Verizon. First, any bugs will be out by then and second, I won't have to search for all those numbers to register the phone that apparently you did.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

nope, should be the same. You can just send the song already on your computer right to the phone.

13. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

All apps carry over. In fact with iCloud it's a seamless process. I have an iPhone 4 and iCloud does daily back-ups of my data for me and keeps track of all the apps I own. When I buy the iPhone 5 and log into my account at the start up screen, iCloud will start the process of restoring everything. It couldn't be more simple.

Yeah, I don't really buy this. Those Android devices also have glass screens. If one drops them and they hit at the right strike point, they will shatter too. Handset manufacturers, including Apple, are using durable forms of glass these days but it's impossible to design these screens to be completely shatter proof.

The reason there has been controversy over the iPhone 4/4S design is because they have glass on both sides. Thus it is possible to hit a strike point that can also shatter the back. The front glass is no more vulnerable then most phones. There is talk that the iPhone 5's design will help limit possible damage to the back, in ways that the 4 may not have. Personally, I never had issues with my 4 but I know others have.

It's also important to keep in mind that the public fixates on Apple and their products. This can be good and it can be bad for the company. Look at it like this, they release one phone a year. That's a single product for people to talk about and report on. That's in stark contrast to most Android handset makers that release numerous handsets throughout the year. To the point it's hard to keep track. Thus, no single Android handset stands out and gets reported on that much. iPhone 4's break and it's all over the news. Random Android handset #105 breaks, and no one cares. They simply don't get talked about or reported on as much and this creates an imbalance in public perceptions.

14. Piobaire

One thing I always thought would be handy is to have the ability to hook my iPhone up to the rather good interface my Benz has if I forgot my iPod. I guess that'll need an adapter now.

15. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

With iCloud, you no longer need to fool around with your PC/Mac iTunes program if you don't want to manage your apps that way.

Pio, I believe you said you have an iPad right? Then you should already have an Apple ID and iCloud account.

In terms of managing your music and media from your iPod, then you may have to sync to your computer's iTunes to quickly move it over to your new phone. If you sign up for iTunes Match, Apple makes managing your music over the cloud much more seamless too. I listen to much of my music via Pandora these days and have little need for iTunes Match, but have heard good things from those who do use it.