• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have no problem calling the next iPhone the iPhone 5. iPhone LTE makes sense too but I've read no rumors suggesting such a thing. I'm just relieved that I can upgrade my smartphone.

I probably would have gone with this too, but then they might run into problems with consumer confusion based off the fact AT&T is already trying to brand the iPhone 4S as an "LTE device."

iPhone 6 doesn't make sense either in my mind and as I stated above, I have never advocated for this name.

blairh

Reaction score

So essentially you were saying:
1. iPhone 4, was called iPhone 4 because it was the fourth phone in the line.
2. iPhone 4S was called such because it was the fifth generation in the line.
That is inconsistent logic.
What would be more consistent is:
1. iPhone 3G is succeeded by the iPhone 3GS as it is a hardware revision in the same form factor.
2. iPhone 4, is a new version given that the change in form factor and significant hardware upgrade.
3. iPhone 4S is a minor update in the same form factor, thus still bears the "4" in the name.
4. iPhone 5 is a new form factor once again and is a major update, thus 5 is the logical succession in nomenclature.
As it one is able to see the pattern develop, it would be logical that the iPhone 5 is succeeded by the iPhone 5S.... unless of course apple decides to abandon this marketing strategy and adopt the same approach as the iPad.

I need to read more.

I'm pretty sure Apple ditched the numbers for the iPad because of the Mini. The iPhone doesn't have a Mini counterpart so they'll keep some sort of number/tagging.

blairh

Reaction score

I probably would have gone with this too, but then they might run into problems with consumer confusion based off the fact AT&T is already trying to brand the iPhone 4S as an "LTE device."
iPhone 6 doesn't make sense either in my mind and as I stated above, I have never advocated for this name.

I wonder if Apple's problems with Australia/iPad LTE caused them to hit the breaks with the iPhone LTE branding. iPhone LTE makes a lot of sense to me. Perhaps Apple is going with a simple number like 5 because LTE right now isn't as widespread and used as 3G was in the summer of 2008 when the iPhone 3G was released.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So essentially you were saying:

1. iPhone 4, was called iPhone 4 because it was the fourth phone in the line.
2. iPhone 4S was called such because it was the fifth generation in the line.

That is inconsistent logic.

What would be more consistent is:

1. iPhone 3G is succeeded by the iPhone 3GS as it is a hardware revision in the same form factor.
2. iPhone 4, is a new version given that the change in form factor and significant hardware upgrade.
3. iPhone 4S is a minor update in the same form factor, thus still bears the "4" in the name.
4. iPhone 5 is a new form factor once again and is a major update, thus 5 is the logical succession in nomenclature.

As it one is able to see the pattern develop, it would be logical that the iPhone 5 is succeeded by the iPhone 5S.... unless of course apple decides to abandon this marketing strategy and adopt the same approach as the iPad.

No, not really what I am saying here at all. Look at it like this, each of the iPhone's (after the original) names have meant something related to the device.

1. iPhone 3G was called such because it had a 3G radio.
2. iPhone 3GS was a spec bump and got the S.
3. iPhone 4 was called such because it was the 4th iPhone to be released by Apple.
4. iPhone 4S was a spec bump and got the S.

Calling this new iPhone the "5" doesn't have any relation to the device's hardware specs or order in which it was released. Going by Apple's history, one would expect the name to mean something related to the device itself. This is why many, including myself, believed that "iPhone 5" was off the table.

All this does not matter as it looks like I may well have been wrong based on the invite. It happens and I don't have a problem admitting such.

Last edited:

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, not really what I am saying here at all. Look at it like this, each of the iPhone's (after the original) names have meant something related to the device.
1. iPhone 3G was called such because it had a 3G radio.
2. iPhone 3GS was a spec bump and got the S.
3. iPhone 4 was called such because it was the 4th iPhone to be released by Apple.
4. iPhone 4S was a spec bump and got the S.
Calling this new iPhone the "5" doesn't have any relation to the device's hardware specs or order in which it was released. Going by Apple's history, one would expect the name to mean something related to the device itself. This is why many, including myself, believed that "iPhone 5" was off the table.
All this does not matter as it looks like I may well have been wrong based on the invite. It happens and I don't have a problem admitting such.

I can follow what you are getting at here, although I do think that it would be a stretch from a marketing perspective, given that this is a consumer product.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, you both? Shut the **** up, now. Thanks.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's going to be called the iPhone 5. Look at how the shadow of the "12" in the invitation image create the number 5.

Case closed.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So my ATT plan just came due and I can switch phones any time now.

Anyone in the same situation and just waiting for the iPhone 5?
FWIW it will be my first real smartphone so I am excited and anxious at the same time.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So my ATT plan just came due and I can switch phones any time now.
Anyone in the same situation and just waiting for the iPhone 5?
FWIW it will be my first real smartphone so I am excited and anxious at the same time.

Wait.. people like you actually exist?! I thought everyone in Amurrca had a smartphone lol.

In all seriousness, if your contract with AT&T is up, I'd highly recommend you switch to Verizon. Their 4G service is a lot faster and better suited to meet the outrageous demand for the new iPhone.

As a data point, I used to be on AT&T for years with my iPhones, but I switched back in December to Verizon to get an Android (Galaxy Nexus) and the 4G speeds on V are outrageous.

Unless you're on a family plan or something (at which point the cost effectiveness would actually nullify the tangible speed benefits of switching to Verizon), I'd highly recommend you hop on over and switch carriers.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm waiting, but I currently have the 4s.

I have not kept a phone longer than 1 year since my senior year of high school.

(I'm with Verizon, not that it matters)

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since my phone is always less than one year old I typically have the warranty department send me another phone and then I sell a used phone that does not have any cosmetic blemishes. I usually get more than what I paid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads