1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

That really sounds worth it. I was paying around $100 a month with Verizon. Recently dropped it and hopped on AT&T on my mom's account. I just pay $60/mo now and it's really nice. $30/mo would be a dream. Bought a Galaxy S3 but I can probably snag and iPhone 5/6/whatever around Christmas if it is that awesome.

2. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

I've been watching some videos of Sprint's iPhone on its network for browsing. It's pretty slow compared to AT&T. In fact a quick web search brought me to a thread on Sprint's forum that is currently 178 pages and growing and essentially people complaining about how slow 3G is on the 4S. That certainly makes me pause immediately. I mean, $30 a month for the iPhone would be killer but it appears you need to swallow horrible speeds when you are using Sprint's network. Ugh. :embar:

I'm in the process of applying for a new job with corporations so maybe I'll get lucky and snag a new job and find out I can get an AT&T monthly discount through them.

3. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

Okay, VM is a bad idea. End of story. Slow speeds, can't use abroad, and a useless iPhone when you are ready to move on.

For the price of a new iPhone alone with AT&T next month, I could get a full year of service on my iPhone 4 with Straight Talk. ($495.) That's insane and an awesome deal.

4. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Well-Known Member

^So you can get an iPhone on straight talk?

5. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

No. It's a BYOD situation. (Bring Your Own Device.) I can use my iPhone 4 with Straight Talk. You just need to purchase a SIM card from them. ($15.)

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Sure. Just buy the unlocked version.

7. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

The iPhone doesn't even need to be unlocked to be used on ST. Just needs to be the AT&T variant. I'm 100% sure on this.

The advantage however to using an unlocked model is that you can use a local SIM if you travel to a GSM region like Europe.

8. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

And you would be 100% wrong. Because the AT&T variant would still be sim locked to AT&T without it being unlocked by AT&T first. The locking still works in this country as well. Remember, I just went through this.

9. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

And you would be 1000% wrong.

"To setup the service, you will need a GSM (AT&T) iPhone, and it does not even need to be unlocked. To be sure, we talked to Straight Talk. It provided the following statement:
    To answer your question, we just re-tested to confirm. Since Straight Talk is making use of AT&T’s powerful Nationwide HSPA+ network, users currently don’t need to unlock an iPhone 4/4s in order to get Straight Talk’s SIMs to work, but they do need to change their APN settings.
    This certainly adds convenience for early iPhone 4 adopters since they’ve all run through their contract. Those still on contract could switch over without getting AT&T to unlock their phone but they’d still have to fulfill their contract commitments.
    It’s important to note that since AT&T works closely with Apple on software updates, and could see this functionality as problematic for one reason or another, the ability to use Straight Talk on a locked iPhone (or any locked phone) is subject to being removed at any time at the sole discretion of the network or device manufacturer. For these and other reasons, we heavily recommend that users only make use of the Straight Talk service on unlocked devices."

You do not need to unlock the GSM device to use it on ST. :foo::foo::foo::foo::foo:

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

According to Apple and Straight Talk, as of last month, you do. I tried using a Straight Talk SIM in a locked iPhone 4s and it wouldn't work. Worked fine in an unlocked one. Who the fuck knows? This is more than part of the reason I'm going unlocked only from now on.

11. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

There are plenty of sources online prior to a month past that state you can use a locked iPhone with Straight Talk. I have no idea why it did not work for you. Furthermore it's just really annoying to have someone come in here and tell me I'm 100% wrong when I'm not.

Anyways, ST is really most beneficial if you keep your current AT&T iPhone and simply use it with ST moving forward. You would need to be an early iPhone 4 adopter to leave AT&T right now without having to pay an EFT.

Whether I decide to keep my iP4 and use ST or continue forward with AT&T and the next iPhone will become clear once I see the keynote.

12. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Well, annoying or not, it is true so far as I know it. Again, this came directly from the upper levels of Apple engineering, as well as Straight Talk themselves. I can only vouch for what I've been told and seen. I have to think there's some logic behind it anyway. Think about it - if you buy the iP5, and then cancel with AT&T, both AT&T and Apple lose money on the deal. It would make sense for them to keep this from happening.

You're right about the logic behind ST. Its really perfect for switching over with your old phone though, especially if you're not a data hog.

13. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

It states right on their support page that you can use a locked GSM phone.

"SIM card will only work with an AT&T or T-mobile compatible or unlocked GSM phone."

I don't know why you were told otherwise.

AT&T would not lose money in your scenario because you would be legally obligated to pay the ETF.

Apple makes their money off iPhone's by selling directly to the carriers. (Or directly to the consumers with unlocked models.)

I've never once hit 2 GB of data in a month so ST would be perfect. Just a question of other things playing out first. (Keynote, my job, etc.)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  14. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

If they change the charging connection I am going to be pissed

I currently have a car charger in both vehicles, two chargers in my room, a charger in my backpack, a travel charger, and two extra cables.

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

According to the rumour mills Apple are changing the dock connector for the iPhone 5. But no doubt Apple will be very happy to sell you an official $50 adaptor dongle/widget so you can use your old accessories. There will probably be plenty of much cheaper third-party ones as well. Some people probably have a lot invested in the 30-pin dock devices, like expensive speaker system, factory fitted car docks, etc.

I've noticed that most non-Apple phones seem to have standardised on the Micro-USB plug for charging and connecting phones. Makes it much easier when buying third-party chargers, and if anyone's seen the rat's nest of plugs, that's in most publc cellphone charging kiosks. :confused: I believe this was a directive by the GSM Association.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  16. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

prepare to get pissed then.

you'll be able to buy adapters on ebay in a few months, I'm sure.

17. CalTex

CalTex Well-Known Member

Yeah I am hoping the rumors are wrong, but I doubt it. :(

18. blairh

blairh Well-Known Member

The adapter is absolutely changing. It will be significantly smaller.

Apple will have an adaptor available most likely immediately after the keynote on their site. I seriously doubt it will be $50 MikeDT. At most I expect it to be $30. Cheaper versions from third parties will be available soon after the keynote.

19. Pinhas

Pinhas Well-Known Member

20. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Apple included the adaptor this go around. Why would Apple do this? Any possible revenue lost from selling the adaptor would worth it to minimize any possible backlash over the switch to a new port. Toss it in for free for a phone generation or two, then once people are used to the new form factor they can stop including one in the packaging.

In the least, I find MikeDT's assertion that it would be a $50 accesory laughable. You are likely looking at $20 to $30 max.

Looks like I might be eating my words on it being not called the "iPhone 5." I do stand by my logic that it doesn't make a lot of sense to call the 6th iPhone model "5", but I don't work for Apple and certainly don't agree with everything they do.

Looking forward to the hardware unveiling. Not much longer to wait.