• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Mine is active constantly- My email is sync'd with corporate, plus some other notification and chat tools, plus wi-fi etc... so it's humming quite a lot.
If I unplug it but don't touch it all day, it will still be dead by evening.

What's your brightness set at? Has it always been this way? Even early on when you first got the handset?

This sounds low to me. Much lower then the norm. Maybe your phone's battery is slightly defective or something. Considering the mass quantities of these phones that are cranked out, it's not unreasonable to believe some get bad parts. Maybe take it into the Apple store and explain your case. They can swap these batteries and might do it for free for you.

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mine isn't that bad, but it still not as good as I expected. I just went in and removed a bunch of apps from my notification center, and turned off location services for a few. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

I still have push notifications turned on, and I have brightness set to auto.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

How much do you guys use your phone in a day that you run the battery down so much?

My usual business day starts about 5:30am and ends about 6-7pm. I use it pretty heavily for emails, calendar, texting and phone. I think using the BT feature while driving burns it up even faster.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, mine isn't that bad, but it still not as good as I expected. I just went in and removed a bunch of apps from my notification center, and turned off location services for a few. We'll see how much of a difference it makes.

I still have push notifications turned on, and I have brightness set to auto.

Even with brightness set to auto, you want to change that slider to something between 40 and 60%. I keep mine at 60/65% because I enjoy my screen on the brighter side. The software is designed to work with your manually set brightness levels even when on "auto." This could make a difference.

I believe you can also set how long the screen turns on when you get a notification, but I don't usually micromanage my settings to that point.

Notification center is a great thing, but the constant flashing on and off of the screen has had a negative effect on overall battery life. A lot of speculation centers around the fact that it was why the iPhone 4's battery life got slightly worse when iOS 5 hit last year.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My usual business day starts about 5:30am and ends about 6-7pm. I use it pretty heavily for emails, calendar, texting and phone. I think using the BT feature while driving burns it up even faster.

Speaking of BT and driving, I am having all sorts of issues with Ford SYNC in my new car. It's just not working as advertised. I can stream music over BT alright, but things like loading album information and searching for songs is broken. The "answer" button for calls doesn't always work either and I am having to tap the phone to do it. Been driving me nuts. Need to make an appointment soon to get it looked at. Maybe there is a firmware update or something that I am lacking. It's all very strange as I had heard nothing but wonderful things about SYNC before I got the 'stang.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Speaking of BT and driving, I am having all sorts of issues with Ford SYNC in my new car. It's just not working as advertised. I can stream music over BT alright, but things like loading album information and searching for songs is broken. The "answer" button for calls doesn't always work either and I am having to tap the phone to do it. Been driving me nuts. Need to make an appointment soon to get it looked at. Maybe there is a firmware update or something that I am lacking. It's all very strange as I had heard nothing but wonderful things about SYNC before I got the 'stang.

Appointment at the Genius Bar? ;)

I keep one of my iPods connected in my car. Siri works okay over the car's BT system which is cool.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Appointment at the Genius Bar? ;)

I keep one of my iPods connected in my car. Siri works okay over the car's BT system which is cool.

Ha! Nope, this one is with Ford. :embar:

Can you activate Siri with the "answer" button on your car or do you have to do it via the phone? Last weekend I visited my family and helped my mom set her iPhone 5 up with her Nissan Murano. It all works fine except for the fact that the answer button won't activate Siri like I had hoped it would for her. She can use it to activiate voice dial just fine. Just no Siri unless she picks up the phone and holds the home button down like normal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to press the phone's button to get Siri. My Benz has a pretty sophisticated voice command system and the steering wheel button will only activate that.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah, I have to press the phone's button to get Siri. My Benz has a pretty sophisticated voice command system and the steering wheel button will only activate that.

SYNC was designed by Microsoft and is fairly sophisticated too. Considered some of the best tech in the industry for these things. That's why I have been surprised it's giving me these issues.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow, haven't tried this yet! It does not work well in the RR at all.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Wow, haven't tried this yet! It does not work well in the RR at all.

I am constantly surprised at Rover's technology. They have simply the greatest stuff in terms of 4x4 transmissions but the rest of the dashboard tech can be way behind the times.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I am constantly surprised at Rover's technology. They have simply the greatest stuff in terms of 4x4 transmissions but the rest of the dashboard tech can be way behind the times.

This is actually fairly common. A lot of higher end car brands fall behind when it comes to things like dashboard info-tech. Some recent Jags suffer from it, for example. It almost seems like they get worse, on the curve, the more expensive the vehicle gets. If you read reviews for cars like Bentleys and Rolls Royce it's a frequent complaint on some of the models.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

This is actually fairly common. A lot of higher end car brands fall behind when it comes to things like dashboard info-tech. Some recent Jags suffer from it, for example. It almost seems like they get worse, on the curve, the more expensive the vehicle gets. If you read reviews for cars like Bentleys and Rolls Royce it's a frequent complaint on some of the models.

If you notice, you've named all British brands here. I think there's your answer.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads