iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Yeah.. metro is pretty awesome as a tablet/phone UI. My next phone will be the nokia flagship that releases with windows phone 8. I really like the Lumia 900 but am waiting for the new hardware with higher rez screen. In the meantime I'm enduring with my iphone (which i've really come to dislike). Those MS surface tablets are looking mighty nice as well. For me it's a no-brainer to do that instead of an ipad assuming battery life is good.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Are you planning the RT or Intel version?

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

The Nokia 900 blows. I wish Nokia would have partnered with Android or kept Symbian.

4. blairh

blairh Senior member

I honestly would need to demo Metro to truly make a judgment. All I can say is that I am not a fan of Microsoft. Maybe the Surface will be a serious game changer. I have no clue. But it's impossible to judge after an extremely vague keynote and no reviews or true hands-on.

I'm very impressed with the Nexus 7 however I think this potential smaller iPad will be excellent too. One thing that I don't like about the Nexus 7 is that the on screen buttons take up valuable screen real estate. If you see some mags on the 7 it looks pretty bad. You got a 7" screen minus the software buttons plus it appears a black bar directly above the buttons too. Plus hands on reviews have said it's solid but not ideal for magazines. I think a retina iPad or the smaller iPad would be a better choice IMO. However I do like Jelly Bean a great deal and I hope Android partners can start issuing some more phones with IPS panels instead of garbage Amoled.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    In regards to the next iPhone being 4 inches and widescreen if Apple only takes advantage of that real-estate in the main UI by adding an extra row of icons it will be a fail in my mind.

6. blairh

blairh Senior member

As opposed to what? If they are only increasing the height and not the width, I'm not sure what more they can do except add a row for icons.

I would prefer a slightly wider screen too to make text larger in portrait mode, however I'm honestly completely happy with what is rumored to be coming. Despite it being only half an inch, it will make a huge difference for browsing in landscape.

7. blairh

blairh Senior member

I'll be demoing the Motorola Atrix HD this Sunday at AT&T. IPS, ICS, LTE, a minimal Android skin, and on screen buttons. I'll report back my impressions.

The Optimus LTE II is heading to Verizon but they stupidly removed the hardware home button and added four garbage capacitive buttons so that's a deal breaker for me.

8. blairh

blairh Senior member

After reading the Atrix HD reviews today I'm not going to bother demoing it. Poor battery life and crap camera. Shame because the skin is minimal and the screen is sharp.

It looks like I'm simply going to wait and get the next iPhone. Hopefully September but more likely October.

9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

There are very few scenarios in which one of the new "shared" data plans is less expensive than a previous data plan. For a typical family scenario with 2 or 3 smartphones, the shared data plans are significantly more expensive. All the carriers are ratcheting up their prices for data because they can. I know I will be reevaluating my choice of carrier when my contract period (and unlimited data plan) expires.

11. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

not sure if this has been mentioned, but i have heard rumors from folks in the shipping industry that Apple has pre-reserved buttloads of container capacity in the September-October timeframe.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Some time in October is the likely timeframe.

13. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

yes, I know, this rumor lends credence to that is what I'm saying.

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Apparently they're making the screen 4 inches. Dammit

15. blairh

blairh Senior member

Meaning you want it to stay at its current size or have it be larger than 4"? If you are implying that you want it to stay at 3.5" than you are in the minority.