1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

It was an HTC that I got two years ago, so I can't remember the model nor do they have it anymore.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

actually, I wiped it this morning at 7 and then it dropped to 35% again by noon. -_- I need to deep cycle the battery a few more times then see what's up. I updated iTunes and ran it as a new iPhone. I don't really need to have my old stuff from my old iPhone, was mostly junk. I like the feeling of running a new machine all clean and fresh and moving on. :slayer:

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

sounds good. I can probably use mine for two, maybe even three, days before needing a recharge.

i have wifi off, lte on all the time, no blue tooth, no wifi hot spot, and auto brightness on with the brightness at 75%.

don't really stream videos either, so my usage is fairly light compared to the average person.

all in all, just give it a couple cycles and it should improve -- although it sounds like you could be a heavy user.

4. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

sounds good. I can probably use mine for two, maybe even three, days before needing a recharge.

i have wifi off, lte on all the time, no blue tooth, no wifi hot spot, and auto brightness on with the brightness at 75%.

don't really stream videos either, so my usage is fairly light compared to the average person.

all in all, just give it a couple cycles and it should improve -- although it sounds like you could be a heavy user.

5. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

I actually wanted help with that issue though! I don't want to scroll through my entire message history just to find results! My iphone-related google fu is also woefully inadequate, so this is my best source.

6. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

guys, im really liking bb 10.

might make the jump to bb if i like the z10!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I was just fucking with Rambo. :happy:

Would like to help, but I am a little confused on what the issue is. Is this a Spotlight search you are talking about? If so, I don't really use that feature as much as I should.

Speaking of search, the new GMAIL app is a Godsend in this regard. Being able to search your full GMAIL account within the app is wonderful. Apple's own MAIL app was always a complete failure in this regard. My only issue with Google's app is that it feels laggy on occasion. Hopeful this can be fixed over time.

EDIT: Actually I do have one other issue with it. The GMAIL app tends to not auto format text to a readable size as well as MAIL does. By this I mean I often end up having to manually re size text to be able to read it. It's a little annoying, but I see no reason it can't be fixed either.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  8. impolyt_one

I used it today and lost 70% in about.... 3.5 hrs. I am actually a very light user, I use a free chat app very sparingly (maybe 20-50 messages a day depending on how popular I am) and then I use facebook quite often if I'm outside, so maybe once every 10-30 minutes for a few hours on end, but at home I never browse on my iPhone, just throw it on the desk til the next day. I have the 3GS, the 4, the 4S, and now this 5, and this 5 has miserable battery life so far. I want to hope it's a software thing like the first-release 4S' had (which I have one of, and experienced)

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm pissed that tethering via USB doesn't work on the iphone 5 like it is supposed to. Also, tethering via wifi is often very wonky. Bluetooth is the most reliable way to do it, but also the slowest.

10. impolyt_one

yes, my USB tethering doesn't work either, but that's only minor for me because I have a wifi iPad 1 I hardly ever used for the fact it's wifi-only, and now I'm finally gonna use it again, since the hotspot is wireless. The little 3G eggs don't work here for some reason and there but you get 5 bars of phone reception pretty much everywhere in Seoul, the subway lines get great reception too.

Since you have to turn on wifi and bluetooth to tether, my phone switches automatically most times to a local free wifi service provided by my telco (they put little transmitters in tons of buildings, I can ride in a cab and run on wifi, in and out without too much blanking for blocks sometimes) - it's not bad and I save my data (I get 10 gigs a month, we'll see how this goes). Also, LTE in Korea runs around 15mbs down and 7 up during peak hours and about 20 down and 10 up at late night. It's pretty crazy out here.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I never have any issues tethering via my iPad 3 over Wi-Fi. Is there a bug with the iPhone 5 related to this feature? I have not tried it with the phone yet, just my iPad.

12. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Yeah, I used Spotlight search to look for something sent in an iMessage It found the result just fine, but only gives part of the message. I tapped the result in Spotlight to go to the message, but it only brings you to the conversation with the person, not to the specific message.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

i just realized that i've never used spotlight once since getting an iphone. first thing i always do is turn off spotlight search to save on power.

14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

I got 46 down and 17 up in Plainfield NJ. Technology is ridiculous.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Okay, yeah, that sounds wayyyy worse than what I had previously thought. Looks like it could be a dud, as my initial battery life issues were definitely not that bad. I did have a case where my phone drained 30% overnight while doing nothing, but that quickly went away.

Yeah, I'd get it swapped.

16. StyleMax

StyleMax Member

Saw the problem, the iPhone5 can bend. Who ever did this happen?

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1.
    (Rambo told me to do this when I got mine.....:teach:)

18. Hobbs

Hobbs Senior member

I have an unlocked GSM iPhone 5 and will be in the US for 2 weeks in March. Can I pick up a prepay sim in any AT&T store? The main thing I want is a decent data plan.

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No. You CANNOT use the iP5 on AT&T's prepaid service. The fuckers are requiring a contract for an iP5. T-Mobile or Straight Talk are your 2 best bets.

20. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

just swapped out for my 3rd iP5. at least its ridiculously easy with the unlocked models.