• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I agree that it could be called the new iPhone but since they haven't announced the name I don't see what's wrong with calling it iphone5 for now. People called it the ipad3.

It just seems stupid to me to pick at the issue every time somebody says iphone5.

:fistbump: @pB. Got your back too holmes. You tell these unbelieving heathens

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really hope they call it the iPhone 6 just to make people's heads explode.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No you are right, it probably is more or less pointless to do so... Only reason I feel compelled to bring it up is because the name "iPhone 5" has history to it because of all the false rumors right before the iPhone 4S' launch.

EDIT: I'm too guilty of calling the new iPad the 'IPad3" when talking about it. That's the problem with naming as they did as you have to then qualify which hardware you are speaking of.

Last edited:

Willie5566

Reaction score

This naming thing is really stupid to argue over.

Perhaps but when someone is so adamant about something they know nothing about; it baits the rest.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the last time, there will be no "iPhone 5." The iPhone 4S is the 5th iPhone. It would make no sense to call the 6th generation hardware iPhone 5.

They'll probably just call it iPhone, and not even bothering with numbering, just like the current iPad. Apple never bothered giving numbers to their other products like iMac, Macbook, iPod or Apple TV.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually, it's a crappy analogy, but whatever.

Actually the analogy works very well here. Given that a Macbook is the equivalent of $2000, and $3500 for a new Retina screen 15 inch Macbook Pro baseline model (the luxury sports car, beautiful, high performance, extremely expensive, owned only by an affluent few). A Windows Lenovo Ideapad is usually around $500-$800 (the station wagon, bland and not appealing, but will get you from A to B, usually quite affordable, is what most people have).

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Actually the analogy works very well here. Given that a Macbook is the equivalent of $2000, and $3500 for a new Retina screen 15 inch Macbook Pro baseline model (the luxury sports car, beautiful, high performance, extremely expensive, owned only by an affluent few). A Windows Lenovo Ideapad is usually around $500-$800 (the station wagon, bland and not appealing, but will get you from A to B, usually quite affordable, is what most people have).

It was Richard Stallman's analogy I believe, from many moons ago.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I feel like my iPhone 4 (not S) just got a new lease on life.

My biggest complaint with it was that the camera no longer took decent photos because the lens was scratched to hell after years of me beating the thing up bareback. But in HK I got the bright idea that someone might be able to help - I found this little *********** in Chungking Mansions and for a few bucks he popped the caseback off and gave me a new one. Presto!

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My biggest complaint with it was that the camera no longer took decent photos because the lens was scratched to hell after years of me beating the thing up bareback. But in HK I got the bright idea that someone might be able to help - I found this little *********** in Chungking Mansions and for a few bucks he popped the caseback off and gave me a new one. Presto!

Just curious, but did you have a case on it?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Just curious, but did you have a case on it?

don't pretend like you don't know what bareback means you bug chaser

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

don't pretend like you don't know what bareback means you bug chaser

:laugh: Missed that.

Some news. Apple has released a dedicated podcast Apple for the iPhone and iPad: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/26/3118820/apple-podcasts-app-release

Sure there have been third party alternatives, but it's nice to see Apple release one that works directly with iTunes. The biggest plus? You can subscribe and it automatically keeps them updated for you. No Mac/PC running iTunes required. :)

blairh

Reaction score

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Part of me does wish they had just built this extra functionality into the iTunes app, instead of creating a new app. My home screen is already full and I will have to either bump something to the 2nd screen or create a new folder which I typically try not to do. That first screen on the iPhone is prime real estate.

blairh

Reaction score

Part of me does wish they had just built this extra functionality into the iTunes app, instead of creating a new app. My home screen is already full and I will have to either bump something to the 2nd screen or create a new folder which I typically try not to do. That first screen on the iPhone is prime real estate.

The podcast app has taken a spot on my (prime) real estate that is first screen. I agree, it would have been better if they simply added these features within the Music app, but it's fine.

I'll share my thoughts regarding the SIII in this thread instead of the one I created a few days back. I got a chance to demo it today. It had a huge security device thing on the back so I couldn't properly get my hands around it to see how it feels in-hand.

The screen is pretty sharp when displaying colors, etc. Impressive for sure. But things go downhill when you fire up the browser. I made sure the brightness was set to max within the browser (it's weirdly separate from the SIII's other brightness setting). Whites look like a light grey and not white. It ruins the experience for me. It's clear to me now that IPS panels produce true whites whereas Amoled displays like the one in the SIII excel at blacks and overly saturated (artificial) colors. I don't think I'd ever own a smartphone with an Amoled screen moving forward unless they advance. Overall the screen was also dimmer than my iPhone with both at max.

I'm sure the SIII will be a hit but I think the next iPhone will be much bigger.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score
I don't like the Podcast app so far. Rewind limited to 10 secs. Perhaps it's a bug but I can't subscribe to all the podcasts I frequent. Only some. Tape deck playback is weird.

As long as Apple keeps podcasts in the Music app I think I'm going to stay that route for now.

The new Google tablet was just unveiled and I'm really impressed.

LG's Optimus LTE2 is rumored to be coming to the States this year. LTE, IPS, 4.7", physical home button.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads