1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Careful! That's just asking for some fanboi grief.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

This is a great point and should be kept in mind during online discussions like this. Android users often like to point out the use of custom ROMs and kernels as a major plus for the platform, but this is ignoring the reality of the mass market. Most people have no idea what a ROM is or would ever bother to root their device. You can brag all day long about how "open" Android is, but that's not a concept in the world that most smartphone owners live in.

I also have yet to hear a compelling argument on how installing a custom ROM on an Android device is all that much different then jail-breaking an iPhone. Depending on the hardware there may or may not be a few more steps, but the end result seems to bear similar fruit.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This does not accurately frame the issue. With Android there is a huge spectrum between "factory settings" and "custom ROM" but with iOS you have what you get (splendidly simple UI!) or a jail-break. Android allows one to do as little or as much as a person wants.

And even some Apple leaning folks here have specifically mentioned how nice it would be if one could put icons wherever the hell they wanted vs. having to line them up like little fanboi soldiers. :)

5. Jr Mouse

Sure, but how many people actually take advantage of this? Just because you are sophisticated enough to do so, does not mean the general public as a whole does. My initial point was centered around the fact that it's important that we look beyond the "bubble we live" in this regard. ;)

6. patrickBOOTH

My father just got an iPhone last night. It is his first smart phone. I give him two days before he breaks it.

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Um, I think you are forgetting my "geriatric ass" has been informed that I am unable to operate such high tech devices proficiently. ;)

8. nootje

nootje Senior member

:) I thought the similarities were striking..

In all seriousness though, I'm quite adept with electronics and computers, but the last 5 years I preferred to take the "lazy" route. I just dont have the time, patience or peace of mind anymore to configure everything untill its to my liking, and even then I'll still have the occasional crash/getting stuck/etc. moment.
    Hence the macbook(although that is all about osx, and not the laptop itself) and the Iphone. Even though I still miss some features (BB unified inbox! and nokia battery durability) , the reliability and general ease of use wins me over.

9. patrickBOOTH

Do you have the AARP app?

1 person likes this.
  10. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Senior member

Yes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

When you move to a new platform you are buying into the design intent of the maker. Apple products operate as they intend them too because they have different priorities and view certain issues as priorities. Listen to the privacy issue Jobs discussed. From his point of view Apple software will probably never allow a program to search other areas like facebook to retrieve photos because he sees that as a vulnerability to your privacy. Buy a product that has features that agree with you and do things the way you want or adapt a product to your liking.

It's like saying Kiton sucks because they don't make as many peak lapel suits as Ralph Lauren does. Gotta have peaks.

1 person likes this.
  12. patrickBOOTH

Despos, is it peak lapels, or "peaked" lapels. Does it depend on the temperature?

13. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

It's a fair point. I agree. However my father absolutely LOVES his Galaxy Nexus that I bought him this year as an upgrade to his 3G which had a wireless chip failure.

Android has come a very long way since it was first released. Since ICS and JellyBean have come out, stock Android is awesome. I agree that it was not very good before and rooting and custom ROMs were almost a must. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that Android has its "fragmentation" issues and the vast majority of devices are not using the later versions of Android. That's a big shortcoming of the platform.

My Xoom is rooted but my Nexus 7 is not even though it's very easy to do since it's a Google device. Like easy enough that my tech unsavvy father could do it. The thing is that I don't even need to. I can install a launcher (if I wanted to; I don't) or change my keyboard without needing to. You don't have to root Android to do the customizations. My next phone is most definitely going to be a Google Nexus device so I don't have to root it to remove all the BS the carriers install.

I appreciate that you don't have to do that with Apple devices. I bought my dad a mac mini to use as his desktop so he wouldn't have to tinker. However, I don't like that if I wanted to I couldn't change many things about my phone if I had an iPhone. Many people don't care (some because they don't know better/differently and others because they don't want to). For all the customization you can do in Android, my homescreen setup is very simple. I only use one widget which is something that lets me adjust settings such as brightness, silent/vibrate vs only silent, wifi and bluetooth without having to actually go into my settings. Thing is that I love that functionality so much I would never switch to an iPhone because of this feature alone.

I personally feel that there should be a happy medium between Apple's locked-down state and Google's overly-open nature. Apple's big strength is the fixed hardware being developed for (this goes for their computers too). There are very few unknowns/variations which allow things to be optimized. I think Android would be much better without all the skin nonsense that each company has that makes upgrading the OS either impossible or have a very long delay. At the same time, Apple is too locked down. What they give you is what you have. I don't like the stock Android voice (think Siri; which also sounds terrible IMO) so I changed it to something that's almost human-sounding to me. Much better. I prefer Swiftkey keyboard to stock. So I changed that too. I simply cannot do that on the iPhone. As I said, some people don't care cause they're happy with things how they are but I also feel that some people don't know what else is out there so they just accept things. Again, there has to be some inbetween.

http://svoxmobilevoices.wordpress.com/demos/ Check out the Victoria UK voice. I use that over the US English voices. Obviously not perfect but sounds a lot better than the default Android and Siri voices. I don't like how robotic they sound. Of course, I'm sure some people do like that aspect.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  14. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

ummm, you want to delete that post? This isn't your tech blog. At least spoiler that wall of text.

15. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Sorry, didn't know I needed your permission to post here.

Didn't realize the pics would come out so large though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

16. Jr Mouse

Yeah, because having to scroll past it is such an inconvenience. :rolleyes:

17. dcg

dcg Senior member

The main reason this debate exists is that most Apple fanbois are simple minded, self important, condescending insufferable cunts who are unable to comprehend that what works best for them might not be what works best for everyone else.

18. Jr Mouse

FTFY

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is a bit of hyperbole but a milder statement is exactly how I feel about the situation and replies to my posts bear it out pretty clearly. I think a milder statement that, for some reason, Apple users tend to be overly protective of their chosen product and do not take to even slight criticism of it well would be a pretty accurate summation.

20. dcg

dcg Senior member

Strongly disagree on this point. Phrasing was over the top, but I think much of the debate is a result of the fact that Apple fanbois derive some weird sense of superiority over the technology products they purchase, and arguments are mostly a result of Android users coming up with reasons to try to get the Apple people off their backs. I don't understand why anyone would have so much loyalty to a corporation. I buy whatever product suits my needs best.

Simple minded - apparently more than one button is overwhelming to the fanbois. Two buttons? Which to push?!? Oh no!
    Self important - think others care about their opinions regarding technology purchases
    Condescending - think they're better than you because of their smart phone
    Cunts - pretty much a result of the above three

And it's worth pointing out that I do not consider all Apple fans "fanbois".

This I can live with.