1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I've gotten that several times. You just need to close the tab and reload it.

2. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Lol. User error I see.

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

that's the thing. It makes you think you've fucked something up. You know you hit the link, you saw the address bar drop down, and then......nothing. You're like "wait, why isn't this loading?"

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Apple products have bugs. All products do. The reason Apple's products are loved is because they generally have fewer and tend to fix them.

FWIW, I find LION a buggy mess on my 5 year old MacBook. Irritates the hell out of me and I wish I never upgraded.

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Can't you downgrade it back to Snow Leopard? You'd probably have to reinstall it though. Is there anything in Lion that you really need or use? Is a five year old Macbook really suitable for Lion?

Myself, I tend to hold off on any OS upgrades like this until I'm absolutely sure they're going to work properly. I don't have a Mac myself now, and TBH I'm happy with Windows XP or 7, because I only really use a computer for MS Office, Google Chrome, Skype, Tencent QQ, VLC and GIMP for occasional graphics and photo work. I certainly won't be in a hurry to upgrade to Win 8 when it comes out.

Mind you sometimes Apple only fixes problems and bugs when the shit hits the fan... ahem Flashback.
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/flashback-malware-exposes-big-gaps-in-apple-security-response/4904
    Apple’s update that fixed the Java security hole was released April 3, 2012. That’s 49 days after Oracle released Java SE 6 Update 31 for all other platforms. During that seven-week period, every Apple customer who had Java installed (and that includes every Mac owner running Leopard and Snow Leopard) was vulnerable to a silent installation of malware. Ultimately, Apple had to release an update that fixed the security hole and removed the malware already installed on its customers’ Macs.

Apple maintains its own version of Java, and as with this release, it has typically fallen unacceptably far behind Oracle in patching critical flaws in this heavily-targeted and cross-platform application. In 2009, I examined Apple’s patch delays on Java and found that the company patched Java flaws on average about six months after official releases were made available by then-Java maintainer Sun.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  6. Jr Mouse

Ok, to be fair it's been largely fixed with patches. I still see a few bugs, but it's a lot better then when I first upgraded. I just got frustrated at the time I upgraded because when I did the same for SL the year before it was a much better experience.

Anyways, Apple is not perfect. Most users of the company's products know this. It's only people who decide they need to criticize the company that pretend the fans of Apple are oblivious to this fact.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

You know what I think could become a major downfall for Apple products? The look and feel of iOS. It hasn't changed at all since the original iPhone came out and newer, cooler UIs are being developed from Windows, Android, etc.

I really hope they change it up a bit. It's getting a bit old and bland now.

8. blairh

blairh Senior member

I agree that the UI look is a bit stale however I seriously doubt Apple will mess around too much with something that is at this very moment still insanely successful. The Windows UI, IMO, blows. Android gives you more options of course but beyond live wallpapers and widgets it's essentially a screen with a dock and apps.

I don't see much changing UI wise in the near future. We will most likely get an additional row for apps in the next iPhone. I would have liked a simple widget for wi-fi but beyond that I think iOS 6 looks awesome.

9. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Which is not really that much different to what you see on most PCs, a taskbar with a grid of icons.

Presumably the next iPhone will have a larger screen to accommodate an extra column and row of icons.

10. Jr Mouse

Actually, I think this is the last year Apple will be able to get away with not refreshing the iOS UI. It is starting to look stale and is lacking some of the innovation we are seeing with (stock) Android and WIndows Phone. You are starting to hear grumbling about this from the public and tech journalist community and that's only going to increase. iOS really is looking stale these days and while it is still the most fluid and stable phone OS on the market, they are having to lean more and more on their App library as the competitive advantage.

Tablets is a different story as the iPad simply blows anything else out there out of the water. The only exception is the new Nexus 7, which really is going after a different market then Apple is right now.

Oh and Blairh, I know we disagree on this, but I am sorry. Metro is awesome. :satisfied:

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Yeah.. metro is pretty awesome as a tablet/phone UI. My next phone will be the nokia flagship that releases with windows phone 8. I really like the Lumia 900 but am waiting for the new hardware with higher rez screen. In the meantime I'm enduring with my iphone (which i've really come to dislike). Those MS surface tablets are looking mighty nice as well. For me it's a no-brainer to do that instead of an ipad assuming battery life is good.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. Jr Mouse

Are you planning the RT or Intel version?

13. blairh

blairh Senior member

The Nokia 900 blows. I wish Nokia would have partnered with Android or kept Symbian.

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

I honestly would need to demo Metro to truly make a judgment. All I can say is that I am not a fan of Microsoft. Maybe the Surface will be a serious game changer. I have no clue. But it's impossible to judge after an extremely vague keynote and no reviews or true hands-on.

I'm very impressed with the Nexus 7 however I think this potential smaller iPad will be excellent too. One thing that I don't like about the Nexus 7 is that the on screen buttons take up valuable screen real estate. If you see some mags on the 7 it looks pretty bad. You got a 7" screen minus the software buttons plus it appears a black bar directly above the buttons too. Plus hands on reviews have said it's solid but not ideal for magazines. I think a retina iPad or the smaller iPad would be a better choice IMO. However I do like Jelly Bean a great deal and I hope Android partners can start issuing some more phones with IPS panels instead of garbage Amoled.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  15. Jr Mouse

In regards to the next iPhone being 4 inches and widescreen if Apple only takes advantage of that real-estate in the main UI by adding an extra row of icons it will be a fail in my mind.

16. blairh

blairh Senior member

As opposed to what? If they are only increasing the height and not the width, I'm not sure what more they can do except add a row for icons.

I would prefer a slightly wider screen too to make text larger in portrait mode, however I'm honestly completely happy with what is rumored to be coming. Despite it being only half an inch, it will make a huge difference for browsing in landscape.

17. blairh

blairh Senior member

I'll be demoing the Motorola Atrix HD this Sunday at AT&T. IPS, ICS, LTE, a minimal Android skin, and on screen buttons. I'll report back my impressions.

The Optimus LTE II is heading to Verizon but they stupidly removed the hardware home button and added four garbage capacitive buttons so that's a deal breaker for me.

18. blairh

blairh Senior member

After reading the Atrix HD reviews today I'm not going to bother demoing it. Poor battery life and crap camera. Shame because the skin is minimal and the screen is sharp.

It looks like I'm simply going to wait and get the next iPhone. Hopefully September but more likely October.

19. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

20. dah328

dah328 Senior member

There are very few scenarios in which one of the new "shared" data plans is less expensive than a previous data plan. For a typical family scenario with 2 or 3 smartphones, the shared data plans are significantly more expensive. All the carriers are ratcheting up their prices for data because they can. I know I will be reevaluating my choice of carrier when my contract period (and unlimited data plan) expires.