1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

Everybody in the store was nice enough, even if some of the responses were laughable.

I was slightly annoyed that the guy helping me was simultaneously helping someone else who was having trouble with his MacBook or whatever they're calling those laptops, and he would switch between the two of us as this guy's laptop would reboot and such. It just felt kind of rude.

Also the other guy was a furriner and was getting text messages in Arabic and because I am a big racist I wondered what the guy was using all that technology for.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I wonder if that's related to the issue I pointed out before that these phones use more power when in weak LTE areas. The antenna needs the extra juice to constantly search for towers and keep the signal strong. Sprint has the worst (least built out) LTE network of the three, so this makes sense in that regard.

3. Jr Mouse

I've had them multitask with other customers before. Usually when they were waiting on my hardware to finish an update or something. If the guy was putting you off to help someone else, then that is kind of rude.

4. dcg

dcg Senior member

I spend the majority of my day on wifi, but I wonder the same. When not on wifi, the RAZR is almost always on LTE; the iPhone basically never is.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

When I read that I thought why bother with appointments?

6. Jr Mouse

Razr is the work phone right? Do you thing the discrepancy could be in part related to the fact you may use one of the devices more then the other?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

My Verizon phone was roaming a lot this weekend.

8. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yes, and I absolutely use them for different things. RAZR is used for several hours of calls per day, one to several hours of streaming Pandora, and checking some email. iPhone is used mainly for texting, playing games, personal email, and internet. At the end of the day, RAZR has way more juice left.

It's really not a fair comparison. I've just been much happier with the battery life of the RAZR. Then again, it's a much larger phone.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  9. Jr Mouse

True. The size of the phones can't be compared. I'm just happy to hear that Android phones are starting to get respectable battery life. It was always one of the sticking points for the platform as they under-performed in this area compared to iOS devices. Sounds like that may no longer the case. :)

10. Jr Mouse

11. dcg

dcg Senior member

Well, iPhone 5 is doing it with a 1440 mAh battery, while the Razr is 3300 mAh. Galaxy S3 comes in at 2100 mAh, IIRC.

12. Jr Mouse

13. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

I know I know, and my power button is making a little noise. :plain:

Does anyone else keep apps off of the first page, you know so you can appreciate your wallpaper and all.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  14. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I hate having a full page of apps. I try to keep only the top 1/2 to 1/3 of a page full. I don't have many apps in general though so it's not a big deal.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I keep only two rows of apps on my first few screens.

Speaking of which, why can't I place things randomly? Like one app in each corner? Also, why do the screens not circle back through vs. having to back all the way out from right to left?

I installed a virtual desktop type thing where I just hit my home button and seven screens would appear and you just tap the screen you want. So I had all news apps/widgets on one screen, etc.

16. Jr Mouse

It doesn't circle back around because left of the main screen brings up the Spotlight search function.

Pro tip, a quick single tap on the home button brings you directly to the main app screen from any app page.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks for the tip..I was actually going to try that and see.

I think for future iphones they should try something along the screen of screens (meta!) function. Was totally handy to have.

18. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I've been complaining about battery life for a few pages now. Recently read an article that pretty much said "the reason why our batt life is worse is because it's a new toy so we keep playing with it". Made sense, lol

19. Jr Mouse

I do believe they need to rethink the home-screen. Folders sounded like a great idea, but the problem is you can forget you have certain apps stored away in them. Out of sight, out of mind. The same issue arises when you have too many app screens.

Having said that, I'm not sure they ever will make any fundamental changes. The simplicity of how iOS works has always been one of it's greatest strengths. My niece was able to figure out how to work at iPad at around one year old. She was able to find, open and close apps. I find that brilliant from a UI design standpoint. The rows and rows of apps is likely here to stay.

20. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

dude, that's cold. you didn't have to say Piob was dumber than a 1-year-old.