1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks for that. How many windows can I open like that?

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

when it's up, scroll left or right.

3. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

also, if you do the home screen quick 2-tap when the phone is locked, some ipod controls pop up.

and there's the quick access camera option from the lock screen, something that has come in handy for me on the street or the subway when I just have to capture something for the "things you can't believe you just saw" thread.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

It's not the same as actual windowing. It just sequentially pops things up.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Been around for a long time. Unlike you I still keep in touch with teh youts.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboi

Btw, have smashed Avril Lavigne look alikes years ago. That's a pretty common look amongst French trailer trash and has been around a long time.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of double click. I hate having to close out apps that way.

7. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

What's funny about this is the current versions of Android got rid of the hardware "back button." Why? It was never a good idea and is handled better through software via the touchscreen. Apple's had the right idea here all along, that hardware buttons like this can be limiting. Software allows for higher levels of configuration and customization.

8. Jr Mouse

WebOS had the single most intuitive multi-tasking system ever created for a mobile device. It's too bad that they failed so miserably in the market.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. otc

otc Senior member

what what?

They got rid of the search button that used to be one of the standard 4 buttons (and TBH, I only use a long press on search to activate voice functions...I never search with it)

There is still home, back and a third button...I think there is some disagreement about the third button. The galaxy S3 has the menu button (which I agree with) but I think some phones switched to a "recent apps" button which seems stupid since I am pretty sure you can get the same effect with a long press on home.

10. Jr Mouse

They are virtual touch screen buttons now and not hardware, correct? It was one of the changes with ICS and is part of the Galaxy Nexus hardware design. My understanding is these virtual buttons can be configured if desired by a developer. Is that incorrect?

11. otc

otc Senior member

No, I'm pretty sure the spec still calls for 3 "buttons".

The buttons on most of the phones are capacitive touch buttons (although the S3 uses a clicky button for the home screen). They are under the glass but they are not a part of the screen.

They have always been configurable (at least on a rooted phone) for the user, but the backlit icons are fixed as back/home/menu/search.

[​IMG]

12. Jr Mouse

Also, I do like how the recent builds of Android handle multitasking far more then iOS does. Wasn't a big fan of Android 2.1 (sorry Pio!), but ICS and Jelly Bean do some things really nicely. They took notes from Web OS and ran with them. :)

13. dcg

dcg Senior member

Yes. And why no "close all"?

1 person likes this.
  14. Jr Mouse

I had read that the area containing the buttons were part of the main screen itself, just OS coded to be persistent buttons in that area. In that regard they could be theoretically changed via coding. If that's not the case, then I stand corrected.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Awful lot of non-Piob related griping going on in here today. Is it contagious?

16. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

^They never are, at least not on my HTC Desire HD.

17. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

One of the fanbois just needs to come in here and tell me to fuck off and call me a geriatric again and all will be well. Because, you know, these computer thingies are brand new to me and hard to figure out. I mean, it's not like I was running linux boxes before some of the fanbois nuts dropped or something.

18. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You should let them know that when you were their age, you used to have to walk to school 10 miles in the snow. Both ways. That'll shut em up. Bunch of new age pussies.

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Actually, it was uphill both ways. In the snow. While drinking whisky from the bottle.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Speaking of which, if somebody was really drunk and you drink their blood will you get drunk too?