• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's based on Google's own numbers they themselves released. How can you say it doesn't prove anything?
There is no iPhone 5 nor will there be. The next phone will actually be the 6th iPhone so they won't call it iPhone 5.
No way the maps app is not released for all phones that support iOS 6. The beta is out now and runs on them.

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/, see disclaimer 1: "Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply."

nvm. 4s and later

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh ok. My bad then. :embar:

I do agree it doesn't really prove anything. It's also real early for a leak of this type.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/maps/, see disclaimer 1: "Some features may not be available in all countries or all areas. Flyover and turn-by-turn navigation will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad 2 or later. Cellular data charges may apply."

nvm. 4s and later

Ah... Ok. Well won't bother me as I will be upgrading this fall to the new phone anyways.

Willie5566

Reaction score

It's based on Google's own numbers they themselves released. How can you say it doesn't prove anything?
There is no iPhone 5 nor will there be. The next phone will actually be the 6th iPhone so they won't call it iPhone 5.

:eh: You sure about that? How can you make such a claim? They went to Original-3g-3gs-4-4s. iPhone 5 does not seem too far fetched. Throw in the fact that the latest iPad is apparently just called the new iPad (******* stupid by the way) and how can anyone predict what the next phone might be called?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Marketing. Hype. BS. Pick your poison.

I don't like apple but super high resolution displays is one area i'm willing to give them credit and they did a VERY good job of branding it. If they'd put one on the 13" MBA I'd actually consider buying one. And it is forcing other brands to look at the res they're offering on smaller displays, which i'm thankful for.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i used to think the apple marketing gimmicks like retina display or "2000 songs on your ipod" were :rolleyes: but retina display is much more easier to understand that 2xxx pixels by 1xxx pixels

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was all on board with the new Pro until i found out it was only 15 inches and it's $2200 for a "base" model.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I was all on board with the new Pro until i found out it was only 15 inches and it's $2200 for a "base" model.

$2200 is not bad for what you get. The base model is stacked.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That probably means it will be about the equivalent of $3000-$4000 here. Apple seems to charge 50%-100% more for their products in China than they do in the US. Most likely to maintain brand prestige and exclusivity, LV, Gucci, Armani, Burberry, Rolex, etc. do a similar thing with their product pricing here.

They cough up all that money for a nice shiny new Macbook Pro with it's glowing Apple logo, then they delete OS X and install pirated Windows XP on it....go figure!!

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$2200 is not bad for what you get. The base model is stacked.

Yeah it's loaded up no doubt. I fully admIt to not being their target customer. Need basically an Internet browser with a large HD and nice screen nothing more really. Kind of one of the reasons I've stuck in the Windows realm (besides the nice screen).

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah it's loaded up no doubt. I fully admIt to not being their target customer. Need basically an Internet browser with a large HD and nice screen nothing more really. Kind of one of the reasons I've stuck in the Windows realm (besides the nice screen).

This is just the first step. Over the next years we will see the full Macbook Pro line go retina with prices going down to much lower levels to match. After that, I believe the Air will be next.

I want one of these new Macbook Pro's with Retina, but am curious what kind of benchmarks they will get. Pushing that many pixels is bound to tax any GPU.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i dont even know if that many pixels is even useful or improves things over the hd screens that is out in the market now

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i dont even know if that many pixels is even useful or improves things over the hd screens that is out in the market now

Well it's important to remember that while "Retina Display" may be a marketing term that Apple invented it does have sound reasoning behind it. To earn this the screen must be so pixel dense that they become invisible to the average human eye at a normal viewing distance. Typical "HD Screens" are not at this level and won't be as impressive. Apple also uses some of the best quality screens on the market and the color depth, viewing angles, etc will be unmatched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads