1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    nm

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Jr Mouse

Yeah, pictures would be nice. They have that on the iPad, but never brought it to the iPhone. It has not bothered me, but I can see why you would miss it coming from the Android.

I like how the text bubbles look, but that's personal preference.

Otherwise, you do get a scrollable list of conversations, etc.

The iMessage app is not perfect, but it works and I like the features you get when talking to other iOS users.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

What I said above.

Thanks for that work around but what a fucking hassle. How do people walk around with your email client showing hundreds of unread messages? I mean, the idea is, you can just hit "all read" and now you can easily identify incoming messages that are unread.

On my Samsung the native email client presents a nice tabbed screen for each email account, like the tabs at the top of a browser window. Also, you can drop an individual account onto your homescreen, which I do with my work account so it's easy to access during the work week and I won't inadvertently open it on the weekend and annoy myself over work.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Not being rude or snarky but "it works" is fucking garbage compared to a) the hype and b) what my two year old Samsung has.

I am seriously going to read how much it will cost me to return this and will decide from there.

5. the shah

the shah Senior member

there's another email client app called Sparrow

of course apple don't let you make it default app ... and i don't think its free but i got it through cydia or installous anyway

6. Jr Mouse

It is a hassle of a work around. A "mark all read" button would be a nice addition in the future, but again I never have had that desire on the move.

In the mail client on the top left you see "mailboxes"? Click that and you are taken to a tabbed screen for email accounts. You have the ability to select all email, or just any individual account you like. Once selected that becomes your default next time you open the email client.

7. Jr Mouse

Not to be snarky, but having pictures in text messaging really has nothing to do with "it just works."

Some of these issues you are listing are not problems, but just things you have not learned how to do yet. That's normal when switching to any new software platform. An iPhone user would have to adjust to an Android device too.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Is there a way to customize fonts at least in the text client? Android is so intuitive with that little button that always pops up any options available on whatever screen you're on at the moment.

And return fucking sucks. 30% restocking fee on the full price (non-subsidized price that is) of the handset. $200 bucks to get out of this fucking phone! :fu:

Think I'll live with it until the newest Samsung comes out in Feb and bite the bullet to get out of this piece of shit.

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

You said "it works" not "it just works." I thought you were indicating, "You have some kind of a text function, it works, so meh with the fact your two year old Samsung has picture ID." I was not playing on the "it just works" motto of Apple.

I agree, I'm finding my way a bit, but I've had an iPad for a couple of years so not completely an alien platform to me.

Not seeing that setting in the left of the email client.

Really, this phone is a huge disappointment and I'm being 100% serious.

10. the shah

the shah Senior member

you can't change fonts without jailbreaking which voids your warranty

you're on VZW right ? check the agreement on your receipt. I got out of the 30% restock fee because their wording was retarded, unless they since changed it. The fee only applies if you return the phone AND buy a new one at discounted price WITHIN 3 days. so i said i will return phone, come back the 4th day, not pay restock fee tell your manager you just got hustled :teach:

11. Jr Mouse

What store did you buy it from? Directly from Apple? I'd double check on that fee. They may take it back for you.

Also if you just got the phone, I think you can get out of the contract within a short set period of time?

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I will give this a try.

Jail break it to customize fonts in texting? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Apple and with fanbois? I thought this was going to be a pretty good experience, had totally bought into the "seamless ecosystem" thing. I am pretty fucking bitter at the moment.

I will say Facetime is nice.

13. Jr Mouse

Apple keeps tight control over their UI. Part of that is the fonts chosen. I like the font used in text messaging, but that's personal preference.

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My personal preference is to have personal preference not be what Apple hands me.

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

The no picture to a text thing doesn't bother me because 85% of my texting is with multiple people at one.

16. Jr Mouse

I understand, but honestly don't think the font choice for iMessage is a big deal or would feel the need to change it. Of course I like the font, so YMMV.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1. Its just a font.

free texting over iMessage > ability to choose font.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My eyes are not the greatest and increasing the font size would be very nice. God damn, you can't even increase the font size. I feel like an idiot that bought into hype and I hate feeling like this.

19. the shah

the shah Senior member

imessage just lets you message other apple users. you can use whatsapp or viber or any other free offerings to msg people on all platforms. so i don't think it's better than the inability to customize a UI

(not sure if whatsapp is free for iOS, it is for other platforms)

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

My Samsung comes with a built in security function where to open a locked phone you have to trace a pattern on the screen. Does Apple a) offer this and b) do I have to buy an app to get some security? I don't want to have to type in a password, that swipe a pattern for security is a very nice feature and easy to do one handed.