1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPhone 5

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mussel, Mar 21, 2012.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I remember a long time ago people were saying the iphone 5 was going to have a slightly curved back. I wonder what happened with that?

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Rumors. Perhaps based on an early prototype that never got made, but who can say for sure. They go through a lot of design ideas before one is chosen.

3. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

I probably would have gone for a Samsung S3 or Note because I love bigger screens but the move away from the Apple environment, music, apps, iCloud, etc. has had just the sticky effect that no doubt they have been going for. Too much of a PITA to change my whole life. I've got other investments in this platform now.

Anyways, I gather my 5 may be in by now but who knows.

4. Jr Mouse

I'm the same way. Feel locked into Apple's ecosystem. For better or worse, I can't picture myself switching anytime soon.

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

6. Jr Mouse

I learned it by watching you!

7. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I cancelled my order today. Hearing you criticize the screen was the last straw. :(

Think I'll wait until Feb. for the next Samsung or maybe the new Lumia.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jr Mouse

:lol: can't tell if serious.

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

You bailed just before the fanboi secret handshake reveal.

This thread separates the Fanbois from the boys

Please start a Samsung/Lumia thread.

If you wait that long to kop a phone, wait a little longer for the 5S. It's gotta be better than this disappointment of a phone!

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Anyone on verizon having weird issues with voicemail. I've been getting the same message delivered 6-7 times

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Does the "S" stand for "sandbagged?" :confused:

12. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Sorry, I don't understand the sourpusses around here. As I said earlier in this thread, I fully expected not to buy an iPhone five, if at all, until after the end of the year. I ended up buying one day after it came out, and I'm very satisfied.

One thing to remember with the screen aspect ratio is that it now matches HDTVs. With video mirroring, all you need to bring with you now is your iPhone and Apple TV, presuming Wherever you are presenting already has a Widescreen television with an HDMI port. Moreover I presume people will eventually make airplay portable televisions that are about the size of tablets, that you could essentially take with you to use a sort of an external monitor for your phone. Or just stay at hotels with HDTVs in the rooms.

I also don't really get why people are frustrated over the docking issue. Between Bluetooth for audio and sync over Wi-Fi, The only thing you need the physical dock for is charging. Yes you'll have to buy a couple of new cords, personally I don't see the use of the adapter.

I just wish I could find a more elegant case right now.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Actually, it's now just occurred to me: Is there some kind of workaround that would allow me to mirror my iPhone display to my iPad? Now that would be cool.

14. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Hmmm..when would you need this? Anything you can view on your phone you can view on the iPad. Furthermore, mirroring requires an Apple TV which then requires a HDMI TV. So you might as well just mirror to a tv.

15. patrickBOOTH

I think JM's opinion of the screen is in the minority.

16. patrickBOOTH

Why? With syncing it is almost pointless if you have the same apps and such on both devices.

17. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Re: Verizon

Yes, voicemails and missed calls have resurrected after I deleted them.

Re: iPio

Did you really cancel your order? :(

Re: handshake

:slayer:

18. patrickBOOTH

I haven't listened to a voicemail in years. I refuse. At work I don't even have it set up. If you call me I can see that you called and I will get back to you. If it is really that important and I don't get a follow-up email, then shame on you.

19. Jr Mouse

I reread my two posts from yesterday and they probably came across harsher then I really meant them too. Was having a bad morning and all that... I stand by my belief that an even scaling of the screen would have been the superior solution, but it's by no means a deal breaker for me. Likely, I will get used to the widescreen ratio in time and grow to appreciate it more once we see a multitude of apps coded to take advantage of it.

All these mobile platforms have advantages and disadvantages, but I do believe that iOS is the best solution on the market. That may change in the future, but for now I'm happy to stick with Apple's product line.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  20. Jr Mouse