• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 3G...

green

Reaction score
I've been considering getting an iPod Touch for about a month now, and was just about to get the 16GB Touch when this new iPhone 3G came out for $100 less. Now I'm just wondering..Is there something keeping me from just buying the iPhone 3G 16GB and not using the phone service, or are there less features or something? Thanks guys.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by green
I've been considering getting an iPod Touch for about a month now, and was just about to get the 16GB Touch when this new iPhone 3G came out for $100 less. Now I'm just wondering..Is there something keeping me from just buying the iPhone 3G 16GB and not using the phone service, or are there less features or something? Thanks guys.

I dont think you can use the any of the features on the phone unless you activate it.

linux_pro

Reaction score
You can use the features of the phone without having cellular phone service (some of them, the ones requiring active cell service won't work). Not sure if the MP3 player will work or not, as I haven't experimented with the MP3 player on the iPhone yet.

You can also unlock the iPhone. There are multiple sites which show you how to do this, step-by-step. If the features of the phone won't work without activation, I'd try unlocking the phone. A co-worker sitting right next to me has his iPhone unlocked and it works perfectly on the T-Mobile network. There are also sites that re-release firmware updates with Apple's "brick" feature removed (Apple purposely puts code in some firmware updates that are designed to destroy unlocked iPhones, a very ethically-questionable business practice), after verifying that the updates work.

If you don't plan on using any of the phone's features, I'd say the iPod is probably a much better purchase.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by linux_pro
You can use the features of the phone without having cellular phone service (some of them, the ones requiring active cell service won't work). Not sure if the MP3 player will work or not, as I haven't experimented with the MP3 player on the iPhone yet.

You can also unlock the iPhone. There are multiple sites which show you how to do this, step-by-step. If the features of the phone won't work without activation, I'd try unlocking the phone. A co-worker sitting right next to me has his iPhone unlocked and it works perfectly on the T-Mobile network. There are also sites that re-release firmware updates with Apple's "brick" feature removed (Apple purposely puts code in some firmware updates that are designed to destroy unlocked iPhones, a very ethically-questionable business practice), after verifying that the updates work.

If you don't plan on using any of the phone's features, I'd say the iPod is probably a much better purchase.

I believe that they are requiring you activate an iphone at the point of sale with a new 2-year contract.

linux_pro

Reaction score
Not if you buy one at the Apple store. Not sure about other places, perhaps they do require that you activate service at the AT&T retail stores. I know a couple guys who've bought them from the Apple store though, with no problems.

The iPhone is cool, but frankly, I don't see how it's cool enough to justify the rates AT&T is charging for service. I've had them before, and found their customer service to be extremely substandard. Have switched to T-Mobile and vastly prefer it. AT&T/Cingular has a way of scamming you repeatedly, with all kinds of sheisty nickle-and-dime antics. They'll never have my business again. Most dishonest and hostile company I've ever done business with.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if you buy one at the Apple store. Not sure about other places, perhaps they do require that you activate service at the AT&T retail stores. I know a couple guys who've bought them from the Apple store though, with no problems.
While that was true before, since the announcement of the 2nd generation which will be out on July 11th, you can no longer do this and have to sign a 2 year contract (in the US at least).

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Yep, the iphone has to be activated on the spot when you buy it. That's how they're trying to stop all the people from Europe travelling to the States and buy one, just to unlock it at home.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not if you buy one at the Apple store. Not sure about other places, perhaps they do require that you activate service at the AT&T retail stores. I know a couple guys who've bought them from the Apple store though, with no problems. The iPhone is cool, but frankly, I don't see how it's cool enough to justify the rates AT&T is charging for service. I've had them before, and found their customer service to be extremely substandard. Have switched to T-Mobile and vastly prefer it. AT&T/Cingular has a way of scamming you repeatedly, with all kinds of sheisty nickle-and-dime antics. They'll never have my business again. Most dishonest and hostile company I've ever done business with.
Really? You know a couple of guys that bought the 3G iphone? That's sweet. And to be honest, I don't think anyone likes any service. That's not true. I liked Verizon when I had it but I hated their phones. I HATE tmobile and at&t which I have now for my phones.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^The battery life is ****. Even after reading up on battery saving tutorials. It goes down sometimes 5-10% even when I'm not using it. I have the new 3GS. I love all of the features, but as far as battery life is concerned, even with minimal use, it's whack.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The battery is AWFUL. More often than not, I have to recharge in the middle of the day which is not always convenient. The phone has great apps and web interface, but otherwise I'm very disappointed in the battery life, volume during calls, and the inability to use it when I'm in a crowded football stadium.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads