• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
this is mostly true.

It's only true when it comes to stupid flash animations. The real reason flash is useful is that many youtube/Appreciation site vids are actually flash.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Other than that, are they any benefits to this against a netbook.

They make the self-conscious unemployed English majors working at Starbucks moist.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's only true when it comes to stupid flash animations. The real reason flash is useful is that many youtube/Appreciation site vids are actually flash.

Exactly. Good luck streaming Netflix too. I really doubt it is going to support Silverlight haha.

OH wait....I run Linux and I can't stream Netflix either...****.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine just posted this on Facebook: "The new iPad is going to cause a lot of confusion in the Boston Apple stores."

--Andre

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
They make the self-conscious unemployed English majors working at Starbucks moist.

I think you could have benefited from an English class.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
A friend of mine just posted this on Facebook: "The new iPad is going to cause a lot of confusion in the Boston Apple stores."

--Andre

laugh.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

--Andre

HAAHHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

"How is an iPad different from an iPad"

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually I forgot one. Battery Life. I will keep a running list of advantages of the iPad, to see if they outweigh the cons.

1) Longer battery life than a typical Netbook
2) Weight

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, one benefit of a netbook is that you're not locked into using AT&T for internet away from a WiFi spot. People were complaining about the AT&T 3G network with their iPhones, so I'm sure this will really be great for it.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If this were anyone but Apple, it would barely be a blip on the radar. As it is, it will sell simply because of the Cult of the Apple. As has been mentioned it's basically a giant iPod Touch. However, I will say one thing in its favor that surprised me - the price point isn't actually that bad and I think that will help. If it were up around $1k like I was expecting, I wouldn't expect it to sell that well but even though 16GB will suck for media - movies in particular - the device seems decent for what it is. I could maybe even see myself getting one. It would be the first Apple product I own. 1.5 lbs IS a big deal in weight compared with 4+ It's also hilarious that Steve Jobs thinks things suck until he does it "properly". Just last year he was saying that no one reads any more and eBook readers sucked and now he's touting how great the iPad will be for books and magazines. The best part is that some of the iSheep will lap it up and end up claiming that he invented eBook readers. E Ink > LCD for reading any day. lol @ how "wonderful" page flipping is on Apple's eBook reader. Oh wait, Stanza does that exact same effect... *** Also, I know edmorel is a dirty horndog but I'm surprised how far he has his kack up Apple's rear USB port. [edit] No multitasking = teh suck. Hopefully it can be "jailbroken" and something like Backgrounder installed to fix this. Color on the screen is a plus for eBooks although E Ink is still superior if just reading text. Not sure how it will handle other file formats such as the ever popular PDF. I like that it's compatible with a BT keyboard. Waiting to see how typing on a larger onscreen keyboard will play out. It's one thing to use thumbs or fingers while still grasping the edge of the device but the spam of this seems like it will make for a more "regular" style of typing and I don't know how great that will be with a touchscreen. One more - price point of the books for sale is high. [/edit]

Unbreakable

Reaction score
to say I'm underwhelmed is not even close to what I feel. This thing is ****. I'll keep my netbook for now.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
They have a larger version coming out in Q4, it will be named the maxiPad
laugh.gif
So in a nutshell... What is the difference between this and a netbook?
Well...
Originally Posted by JetBlast
THIS ONE IS COOLER BECAUSE IT HAS AN APPLE ON IT LOL
Close - but the real reason is that netbooks are actually useful.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually I forgot one. Battery Life. I will keep a running list of advantages of the iPad, to see if they outweigh the cons.

1) Longer battery life than a typical Netbook
2) Weight

Actually my old Acer Aspire One with the SSD would get about 12 hours (cheap extended battery from eBay). My current one with the 120Gb "traditional" drive goes about 8.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am very surprised Apple released this after no one has been able to come up with significant advantages against Netbooks. I mean, it will likely be a failure which can only hurt the brand. Fanboys without functionality can only take you so far. iPhones and Apple computers have a point (easy for marsupials to use, better for design, iPhone = better app selection and nice interface, etc.). But this...

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Other than that, are they any benefits to this against a netbook. I reiterate, I am a supporter of the iPhone but I just don't get this one...

Screen size? User-friendly interface? Better for movies/books?

Just throwin these out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics