1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Augusto86, Jan 27, 2010.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

buy the dvd in iTunes you cheap pricks. Or USEtheNET.

Do any ISP still have USENET servers?

2. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

You mean I should re-purchase DVDs I already own? That makes sense...

It is illegal to break copy protection on a DVD, even if it is to make a copy for yourself. This is according to the dmca, and it supersedes fair use.

Plus I was just trying to do a usenet joke. Astroweb, 10 bucks a month, download it in like 4 minutes

3. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I'm kinda annoyed by the fairy tale prices of Apple. 599 EUR for the 16GB 3G version of the iPad. My notebook died a while ago (I still have a quite up-to-date desktop system) and my smartphone makes horrible bulges in my suit jacket. So I've concluded that I'd be better off by using a small and light-weight phone (SE 890i) just for calls & texting and getting an iPad despite my disgust for Apple.

Now I have to see if I'm willing to bite for that price. If there at least was a phone provider in Switzerland who offers subsidized iPads with a data flat but no.

Something else. How much space do I need? I have a MP3 player for my music so actually all I'd put on it is apps, pictures (I guess max. 5 GB) and some music-clips. Will the 16 GB cut it or do I need to upgrade to 32 GB?

4. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Clearly go for 64 or 32. 16 is tiny if you intend on saving stuff on it, rather than simply use it to browse the web.

5. ANIKETOS

ANIKETOS Senior member

What kind of movies can i put on my iPad from my computer?which format i mean (iVirgin)

6. Szeph el raton

Ok, I've just seen that there is a shop close to here that 'should' stock iPads according to their ads and because of the Soccer World Championship they have a offer for a 24 month financing at 0% interest but the offer ends tomorrow. That's too good to pass so if they have the 32 or 64 GB model on stock I'll have one tomorrow afternoon.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Don't bother with the 64. In a year or so I'm sure Apple will release one with two cameras and more memory for less money. I have a 32 and I find it stores plenty.

8. Szeph el raton

Don't bother with the 64. In a year or so I'm sure Apple will release one with two cameras and more memory for less money. I have a 32 and I find it stores plenty.
    But the difference is only 100 EUR and that is basically not even a regular dinner for 2 so I'm not sure it's a good idea to skimp on those few bucks.

9. gdl203

Interesting, I'm not even able to put all my music and photos on my 64. I had to cut some stuff out.

10. Szeph el raton

It's completely sold out right now at the 3 shops I've called. Means I most likely won't pick one up this year and next year it's already past half of its life cycle. So it looks like I'll stay Apple free. (why is there no "Slim approves" smily? [​IMG] )

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

(why is there no "Slim approves" smily? [​IMG] )

FTFY

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Interesting, I'm not even able to put all my music and photos on my 64. I had to cut some stuff out.

32 is a mistake, IMO, and not even for that reason. The more poignant reason is that iPad apps have surprisingly large footprints. Many of them are well north of 40MB. Those will add up pretty quickly. Especially the larger ones, like games and whatnot.

I don't even bother trying to put my entire music collection on my 64GB iPad, because my music collection -- while currently fittable -- is eventually going to outgrow 64GB anyhow. This is a pretty serious flaw with the iPad, IMO. It should have a lot more storage space than it does. I mean, shit, flash memory's price has come down considerably since the iPod first grappled with the issue years ago. It's still not inexpensive enough to make economic sense for the iPad, I guess, or at least not for another year or two. Very annoying.

When it comes to media, I basically load a couple albums or playlists at a time onto the iPad for plane flights and whatnot. I'll primarily use the Kindle app over iBooks for books. I'll use Netflix for movies (except on plane flights without wifi, in which case I'll load a couple movies or television shows). You have to be picky about what you bring with you on any given trip, because the storage space just doesn't allow for a massive collection dump.

I can't even imagine how many sacrifices I'd have to make with a 32GB version. Doesn't even seem practical, for the most part.

13. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Apple just opened its newest store near the OpÃ[​IMG]ra Garnier in Paris. With those black flags hanging above the entryway and the black-shirted bodyguard standing in front of the doors, it looks like a fascist party headquarters. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Szeph el raton

Ok, so I've lost faith in the world and went to sell my soul to Apple yesterday. I've picked up the 64GB 3G iPad. Usability is very nice so far and it fits exactly to the task I wanted it for. But how do I close an app in a way that it's really closed, i.e. No lingering in the cache or keeping sessions alive? I get messages in MSN even after I close the app and then get the notification (i've found out how to disable that, but it's not what I was looking for). I guess now I'll need a while to find a good amount of apps. I've downloaded a weather app, a spanish dictionary and a cookbook app so it's already improving the quality of my life [​IMG] Ah, and now I need to find a nice sleeve for it. Will have to go through the 'iPad bag' thread.

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

once you leave an app, it is closed. Push notifications are sent when the app is closed. As you have found out, push notifications can be disabled.

16. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

It is pissing me off that I can't change the calendar to start on Monday instead of Sunday. Oh wait, I can, but I have to change the region settings to United Kingdom.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

It is pissing me off that I can't change the calendar to start on Monday instead of Sunday. Oh wait, I can, but I have to change the region settings to United Kingdom.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

GO BACK TO RUSSIA!!!!!!11!@1

18. Szeph el raton

What Apps are you guys using? I'm constantly downloading and then again uninstalling Apps.

What I've found nice so far:

Social Networks:
    TweetDeck - Twitter Client
    Flipboard - Viewer for Twitter, Facebook, Newspages, ...
    BeejiveIM - Instant Messenger

Location-based:
    Foursquare - Location based social network
    Gowalla - Location based social network (undecided if it's better or worse than Foursquare)
    Wikihood - Information about your surrounding

Usefull:
    Accu Weather - Weather App
    GoodReader - App for management of files (PDF, Text,...)
    Adobe Ideas - Drawing App (good functionality)
    iDraft - Drawing App (very simple)
    Epicurious - Cookbook

News:
    20 Minuten - Free Swiss daily Newspaper
    BaZ - Newspaper of Basel

Games:
    Osmos HD - Awesome and innovative game
    Monkey Island 2 - No description needed
    Stick Gold HD - Little simple but fun golf game

19. gdl203

Netflix and Touchgrind are the two apps I use the most (besides email and safari of course)

20. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I don't use a lot of storage on my iPhone currently, only about a quarter actually, and it's a 16GB. Do I need more than a 16GB iPad? I'm really torn among the 16, 32, and 64 choices. I do plan to download movies and books on the iPad, at least that's what I'm telling myself. Thoughts?