• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Dragon, you really need to stop making your wife cook when she on vacation.
that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Dragon, ignore this and make her clean too.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how much of a hit is AAPL going to take when this thing inevitably tanks?

Steve Jobs might have just given us all the shorting opportunity of the year.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Are you really this backward-thinking about technology?

Everybody comparing tablets to netbooks is totally missing the point. Do you really think that the internet-everywhere, always-on-person convergence devices of the future are going to take the already-outdated form of a laptop? The facts that:

1) The tablet is always on
2) The tablet can be used while standing without having to set it down
3) Applications are immediately accessible without a lot of OS navigation

are what differentiates tablets from traditional portable computer formats. It turns the portable computer into something that can easily be incorporated into the flow of a day compared to something you have to stop what you're doing to use. Apple's particular design choices aside, there's a reason why practically every hardware manufacturer out there is coming out with a tablet in 2010.

I'm on the fence about picking this one up immediately or waiting to see more of the Courier.

Good informative post.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt

oh I don't think it will tank. I'm not particularly impressed by version 1, but I still think they'll sell zillions of the F***ers.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt

Apple is on an incredible tear... their first quarter sales and earnings were really strong. This, from LATimes: "The record performance came on the heels of a blockbuster holiday shopping season in which Apple continued to lure shoppers without discounting its products that command premium prices, particularly its line of Mac personal computers. Apple sold 3.4 million of them in its fiscal first quarter, up 33% from a year earlier, in an unexpectedly strong sales surge.

"The Mac business is quite simply on fire," said Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster.

Even as the economic downturn pinched wallets, Apple sales soared."

I think betting against Steve Jobs is a flawed strategy just now.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll take 8!

crafty_consumer.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This could be just the boost that e-readers needed to change the publishing industry forever. If adopted by the typical Apple fan, that will do it. It makes e-readers fun.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
This could be just the boost that e-readers needed to change the publishing industry forever. If adopted by the typical Apple fan, that will do it. It makes e-readers fun.

I've always been turned off by the Kindle's lack of versatility, so tablets seem like a good antidote. Reading on LCDs isn't the greatest though.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Are you really this backward-thinking about technology?

... Apple's particular design choices aside, there's a reason why practically every hardware manufacturer out there is coming out with a tablet in 2010.

I'm on the fence about picking this one up immediately or waiting to see more of the Courier.

I haven't not wanted an apple product this bad since the cube. Every maker is coming out with a tablet because (the guts of which are finally small/available/cheap enough) they finally can. Its a very limiting form factor not some revolutionary device. Besides, most portable gadgets these days are already "always on".

Courier is prob the best example of a useful tablet. I can only hope the consumer builds match the renderings.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I don't get this device at all. I've never thought to myself 'gee I wish my iPhone was 4x as big!!'

I was excited because I thought this would turn out be some cool netbook-esque that would make taking notes in class easier.. but nope

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy

It's not an e-reader though. The whole thing about e-readers is that they use e-ink. The point of kindle is to have entire books on there. It's to be able to read for long periods of time without eye strain. Most people just can't read an LCD in the same way that they can read a book, or an e-ink screen, which is incredibly easy on the eyes. I'm sure it will be fine for reading the NYT or the web, but there's not a chance in hell i'd read an actual book on it.

wahwho11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
New iPad commercial

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

wow, they look like dudes.

it's a stupid product that people will buy.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
personally I have felt that keyboards on laptops just have to go. this is the first real step in that direction. I'll have to see how well the touch keys work.

The point about "always on" is a huge deal. click the corner button and its on, check something, then click it off. seriously, it's a big deal.

this particular version of the ipad is not for me, but there is no doubt my future computing will look more like this than my current stupid 2 minute boot up 2 hour battery laptop.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I don't get this device at all. I've never thought to myself 'gee I wish my iPhone was 4x as big!!'

I was excited because I thought this would turn out be some cool netbook-esque that would make taking notes in class easier.. but nope

Alright, I said I wouldn't post again in this thread, but here I am.

I really don't understand why Apple didn't put a modified OS X on the iPad. It seems like a cop out. Using only Apple approved applications is also mindboggling.

The device is definitely not a game changer in any way. A big +1 to Teger's post.

Oh yeah, and wonder how people are going to carry this thing around. The screen is glossy so it smudges and people won't want it to scratch. So, we're talking about a protective case for that large device.

FLOP.

Edit: I also love how they show how great the photo app is. Who actually uses an app like this on a daily basis? Heck, they should have included an SD card reader if the photo app was really important to them.

r...

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
It's not an e-reader though. The whole thing about e-readers is that they use e-ink. The point of kindle is to have entire books on there. It's to be able to read for long periods of time without eye strain. Most people just can't read an LCD in the same way that they can read a book, or an e-ink screen, which is incredibly easy on the eyes. I'm sure it will be fine for reading the NYT or the web, but there's not a chance in hell i'd read an actual book on it.
Pixel Qi is working on screens that mirror both e-ink and lcd with the user being able to switch between the two. A capacitive touch screen version is rumored in the pipes as well. A dual monitor device with the flexibility of both is not far behind. I expect it will come from some unlikely source, maybe acer or eepc,
Originally Posted by musicguy
Using only Apple approved applications is also a mindboggling easy way to print your own money.
FTFY

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads