1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad mini

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Alright Fanboi's, Apple just announced the iPad mini.

[​IMG]

The big news here is the weight. At under .7 pounds it's going to feel a lot nicer in your hands over a long period of time. One handed operation becomes much more realistic at this size and weight.

Screen resolution is non-retina which was expected as a way to keep costs and size down. Keep in mind that 1024-by-768 should appear much crisper on the smaller screen then it does the iPad 2. Looks like we will have to wait a year or two for Retina to reach the mini.

One area I'm not happy with is the price. Starting at $329 is going to put them at a disadvantage over the cheaper Android competition. It's also not in impulse territory yet. A lot of parents will still buy these for their kids to take to school, but I can't help buy think Apple blew an opportunity to cut off and kill the competition before they can get a firm hold on the low end market.

2. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Performance will offset the cost. Schiller did a side by side comparison with an Android device at the media event. Apple and oranges.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Nexus 7 16GB prices are dropping to $199 are this Friday when Google releases the 32GB version of the Nexus 7. That makes for a price differential of $130 or 165% between the 16GB models.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Hmm... interesting. I may like this better than my iPad.

5. jarude

jarude Senior member

im not buying the comparisons to the nexus tablet. yes, something that costs one and a half times as much should have superior performance.

apple has enough of a pedigree that people are going to snap this up regardless. smart move by them... if someone was expecting to pay more for a mini than a nexus before release anyways, what's an extra 50 bucks? apple fanbois have proven time and time again that not even an exorbitant pricetag will separate them from the newest iThing.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think this will be a "loser" in the apple sense, in the long term. They made it too expensive to compete against the Kindle. They made it too big to not cannibalize the IPAD. At $529 for the 32 with WIFI, why would you step up another $200 for the regular IPAD when side by side there is not that much of a difference in size? The fanbois and teck geeks will probably get one of each but the average Joe will probably simply stay down at the IPAD mini level and never feel a need to step uo to the regular IPAD. Either way, they will both be bigger than anything HP/Microsoft/Google will bring to the market so in that sense they won, not that it was much of a contest.

7. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I have a kindle fire. but no ipad yet. I might get this due to the form factor and skype and to have an ios device while travelling. the kindle fire is good for reading..but other than that....

8. sns23

sns23 Senior member

quite a big difference in size.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Too expensive, and I say this as someone who has a shit-ton of Apple stuff. $250, even $275 would have been over the market, but okay given the app eco-system.

Of course, they will still sell a ton of them.

10. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I don't even have an ipad.. seems like a waste of money if you already have an iphone?

11. Jr Mouse

I agree with most of your points, except it canablizing the iPad 3/4. High resolution displays make all the difference in the world for tablets. The mini will sell well to parents for their children and people with limited disposable income, but many will still choose the one with a richer viewing and reading experience a Retina display provides.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  12. Jr Mouse

Also, Aka is correct. $250 was the ideal price point. At $329 they leave too large a price gap between the Mini and a low end Fire. There will always be a consumer who is highly price sensitive and sees these devices as a toy.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You guys are WAY off base. They are clearly aiming for the educational and business markets with this. Schools will be all over this fucking thing.

14. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

15. KP23

KP23 Active Member

They should let the mini run iOS and the iPad run OSX

16. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I like the reduced size. If I was taking a long trip, I think I would take the new, smaller version. When you are running around from city to city for a few weeks size and weight matters. I think a lot of women, probably millions will see it as purse size and prefer it over a regular size iPad while out and about. There may also be business applications where the smaller size is preferred such as in store POS or for some sales presentation.

This is like Porsche coming out with an SUV years after everyone else to fill a niche that their original lineup didn't cover. It will do well.

17. Jr Mouse

Most of the tablets Steve was talking about as the time were 7 inch with a widescreen aspect ratio. The iPad mini is closer to 8 inches and is 4:3. The difference this makes is far more then people assume.

[​IMG]

Having said that, Apple has a history of making these kinds of statements until they are ready to launch what they feel is the right product. Nothing new to see here.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  18. Despos

19. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I have the iphone but nothing else from apple. If I buy one of these tablets do I sync the tablet with my laptop still? Can I sync the tablet to my iphone?

20. Despos

Go to Apple Support and ask, Syncing iPad to iPhone or Syncing iPhone to iPad

You will find tutorials and discussions