1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

I agree with Dbear. Don't see why there would be a problem using the gift cert.

Btw, rnoldh, I believe I am a distant nephew of yours.

2. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I don't think there is a student discount? At least not though Valencia...

~Kurt

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

I think Apple could potentially make an iPhone that features a 4" screen without changing the height and width of the current form factor. They would potentially just need to decrease the amount of bezel.

I played around with a few 4.3" Android devices last week and while they are larger form factors I still think they'd be very comfortable to use if the iPhone ever gets that large. But I doubt that would happen anytime soon, if ever. I think best case scenario is a 4" retina display without altering the current form factor (or keeping it pretty close). I do feel strongly however that currently the screen is simply too small on the iPhone. I'm pitching and zooming a lot than I'd like to be in the browser. We'll see what fall has in store.

4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

The Korean 5"+ phones are stupid looking, can't imagine trying to use it to talk on, but more importantly a phone needs to fit into a pocket of either my pants or my jacket, preferably my jeans. You need a purse to carry around the 5"+ things.

1 person likes this.
  5. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

You're correct. Friend of mine just bought a 5.3in Samsung Galaxy Note, it wont fit in my jeans or trouser pockets. He's Chinese, he carries it around in one of those knock-off LV manbags.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  6. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

that's my biggest beef with the Samsung phones. My buddy has one, and while I'm sure it's great and can achieve things far greater than my iPhone, I wouldn't use it because it is a monster. That bugle would create awkward conversation at bars....that's if it would even fit into my damn jeans lol. They are good phones though, just not in the sense that I would be using a phone (i.e having it on me at all times).

p.s am I the only one who thinks the Samsung hardware feels a little flimsy? I feel like one drop and it would be obliterated, whereas my iPhone is more of a tank in that regard despite being smaller.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

One drop with my iPhone 4 (Naked W/O Case) and I would be shopping for a new phone.

~Kurt

8. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Depends on the strike points.

9. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I am thinking about swapping out my WiFi for a 4G VZW... Unsure at the moment.

~Kurt

10. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Just got an email that my iPad just shipped from Hong Kong. Scheduled for delivery by the 16th.

11. Jr Mouse

I remembered last night that I am still grandfathered in on the "unlimited" iPhone plan. That mean's I can't sign up for tethering without loosing this. Because of this I am leaning towards the LTE version even if I don't use that feature much.

12. Jr Mouse

Some people always manage to get shipments early. Never know, but you might have a surprise coming on the 15th.

13. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

I hope so. Was supposed to leave town on the morning of the 16th and not be back until the following Tuesday night. Would love to have the iPad for my trip.

14. Jr Mouse

Yeah, I would hate to have to leave town knowing that my new toy was supposed to deliver later that day. Good luck on that. I read stories of it happening every year, so it's not unheard of.

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Arnie - no student discounts on iPad's or iPhones. Gift cards can be used on anything.

16. Jr Mouse

The closest do a discount they may do is run a back to school special promotion when bought with a laptop.

17. blairh

blairh Senior member

The iPhone 4/4S is nothing like a tank unless you have a good case on it. While it is gorilla glass and rather durable to scratches, it is very easy to crack the glass of the front and back with a simple drop. I use a case with mine.

Many of the newer Samsung phones use gorilla glass too. The part of them that feels flimsy is the backing. However I've seen a few videos online that show that backing to be rather durable too.

18. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I have no case and drop my phone a lot. has a couple of nicks on the screen, which I am guessing is from my earrings, but nothing major. Also, the only time I broke my iPhone was when I was drunk and tossing it in the air. It fell down, and the screen kinda bubbled up on the right side, but was perfectly fine. I tried to press the bubble down and it cracked the screen

19. blairh

blairh Senior member

Consider yourself very lucky. I know half a dozen friends who have cracked their iPhone 4/4S screens from simple drops. It's also well documented online. Furthermore the 4/4S is an incredibly slippery device (due to the glass on both sides) so I actually prefer the grip that a simple silicone case provides.

20. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I decided I wanted the 4G 64GB on VZW instead... Called them up to modify my order and comes to find out it's being prepared to ship. Oh well, I don't think Apple has a restocking fee. I will try and exchange it mid week while everyone is at work. Unopen of course...

~Kurt