1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i've had great experience with apple service, too. granted, it's apple, so there's a bit of a cultish aspect to it, but they're genuinely helpful, knowledgeable and they let you play with the toys before you buy them.

2. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

My only problem with Apple is the strange looking workers that they employ, it's hard to take them serious. They maybe by age group, but I never fit in...

~Kurt

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

[sigh] ok, this is a REALLY dumb question, i know. but forgive me because i'm old. i remember long-distance phone calls and WATS lines.
    if i buy a wifi only ipad, do i have to buy a data plan?

4. javyn

javyn Senior member

Nope, wifi only means you can only connect to a wifi network. Only your standard internet charges will apply, and if you are at a Burger King or coffee shop, you'll connect for free.

5. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

No you don't have to purchase any data plane with the WiFi only, same goes for the 4G Model. When I am traveling, I am either driving and don't need to play with the thing or on an airplane. I also have 2GB Tether package with my iPhone if I felt the need.

~Kurt

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

no.

7. Jrufraz

Jrufraz Senior member

No since a wi-fi only iPad isn't capable of connecting to a 3G/LTE network...can only connect to wi-fi networks

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

thanks all!
    i've got wifi at home and at work and about the only time i use 4G on my iphone is for phone calls (old school). it'll be a second computer (still have desktops at home and work), so it looks like i'm ok.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

Even with a 4G-enabled iPad, you don't have to pay for a data plan if you don't use it. If you do, then you pay month-to-month. There is no contract.

I have a 3G iPad 1, and I have never once activated the 3G. It did come with a GPS chip, which the non-3G iPad 1s doesn't have. I think all of them now have GPS.

Having said that, I am extremely leery of using public Wi-Fi because anyone can eavesdrop on what you're doing if you're going to non-secure (no "https" in the URL) sites.

10. blairh

blairh Senior member

I think the keynote yesterday is a hint that the next iPhone will be called simply 'iPhone' and will be 4G. The question becomes whether Apple will give us a larger screen. (I hope so.)

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

I hope they make the screen size something like 4 inch. as the Evo 4G 4.3 inch is quite large for a cell phone, which I currently use.

12. blairh

blairh Senior member

That's interesting that you'd want it to be less than 4.3". I've never used anything bigger than an iPhone however my guess is that I'd be fine with a 4.3" device. My guess is that if the next iPhone has a larger screen, it won't be larger than 4".

I played with a Galaxy Note last week. 5.3" screen. I expected it to be a joke and it wasn't. Stunning screen. Now I don't know about it as my everyday phone, but I think there is definitely a market for something that size. (And slightly smaller too, like 4.7".)

13. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

If they do opt for a screen larger than 4", it would not be the end of the world. I just like the sleek design of the phone and have a larger screen takes away from that stream lined look. Plus, adding a case onto my phone makes the thing monstrous in size.

"Yes, that is a phone in my pocket and I am not happy to see you."

14. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I still want a larger screen on my iPhone, I use it as my GPS in cars. But I don't want the phone any bigger.

All iPads on the UK Online store is now showing 2-3 week shipments for all models.

~Kurt

15. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

My stepfather just order two 64GB Black 4G AT&T earlier today... I just realized it was recently pushed back and says ships by the 19th.

~Kurt

16. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    In regards to the iPhone's screen size, there seems to be a general consumer misunderstanding that bigger means "newer/better." Apple could have gone with a 4 inch screen with the original iPhone is they had wanted. They could have gone even larger. The decision to go 3.5 inches was a design decision. Apple felt that it was the best compromise in overall phone size and usability. Now that's not to say they won't change their minds in the future, but we have no reason to believe they will. For now all we can know for certain is that the company believes strongly in their current form factor.

Personally the largest I would ever want to see them go is 4 inches and that's only if they can slim down the bezel around the screen. The iPhone's size is nice and easy to pocket. Some of these Android phones are getting way too big for my taste.

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

To me, the bezell-free screen is one of my most anticipated technological advances.

18. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Does anybody know if an Apple gift certificate could be used for an Ipad 3 purchase also using a student discount.

I have a $500 gift certificate and I would like to buy one for my nephew (who is a student)..

19. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

i would assume so.

gift cert is like cash, its not a discount, so it's not like you're doubling discounts.