1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

But.....they are geniuses....

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I think most people under use the 3G/4G.

And think about it, 3G adds at least 360 a year to the cost, that's a big fixed cost.

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Not sure if you are being serious? I have had fantastic experiences with the staff at Apple stores. Far better then any other retail electronics/computer store. Not even a contest when it comes to putting up with the staff at wireless carrier's stores... Sure not all my experiences with Apple have been perfect, but generally they are ace in my book.

4. Jr Mouse

I agree it's a big cost, but it's not fixed. You can cancel it anytime because it's not on contract. My sister's family has one and they only sign up for 3G when they know they are taking a trip out of town. Otherwise it's wi-fi only.

5. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Fuck me.... I was ready to kill the other day... they kept telling me "well, you have to go talk to the geniuses, the geniuses need to look at that."
    Why in God's name would I need the "geniuses" to exchange a clearly broken item?

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Why not pick up a mifi device?

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I GOT MY PREORDER IN LAST NIGHT JR. MOUSE. WHAT'S TAKING YOU SO LONG???

For those of you with a Discover, you get 5% cashback if you go through Discover.com

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Not joking at all. They are hands down the worse people on earth. I've had better customer experiences buying drugs in the tenderloin residential hotels at 3 am (0).

9. Jr Mouse

Because they are the only ones allowed to review the product and do that type of exchange.

I can always tether it to my iPhone 4, so that's not the issue. In fact the next iPhone should have LTE too so I would get that. Basically it boils down to the fact that if I want to spend an extra $130 on the device upfront and not have to worry about all that.

I would guess most iPad owners have a smartphone that can tether and become a wi-fi hotspot. The 3G versions sell well, so I can't be the only one who thinks it might be worth the extra cost.

Still considering it. I'm actually now thinking that if I don't do LTE, I may still get the 32 gig and pocket the extra change.

Shut your trap.

10. Jr Mouse

Man, I would feel bad for you if you ever had to get something fixed at Best Buy if you feel that way about Apple. Best Buy's customer service is the 5th layer of Hell.

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

But......they are the Geek Squad....

1 person likes this.
  12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Well, I decided to pre-order for arrival on the 16th. Black, 32 4G with black cover. My current one is 64 and way too much, I have 44GB unused.

13. blairh

blairh Senior member

Only you know how/if you will use the cellular connection. The good thing about 3G/4G on an iPad is that it's so easy to sign up and cancel as you please. No contracts, no pressure, no waste of money.

But I wouldn't get a 3G/4G iPad unless I knew I'd use that feature potentially down the road (or if I was rich and money wasn't an issue).

14. Jr Mouse

I do wish it was possible to sign up for a plan that only charged you for the data used. No billing, unless the 3G/4G activates and you are billed per megabyte then. Make it seemless and easy to check you use as you go. That would be fantastic.

15. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

Thanks for telling mew now! That would have covered some of the taxes...

~Kurt

16. Jr Mouse

Don't remember if anyone mentioned this or not, but the iPad can now be used as a wi-fi hotspot too. Used to be only the iPhone could do this. Not 100% sure if only the new iPad has this feature or if they are letting the 3G models do it too.

17. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Actually Best Buy is about what I would expect. You wait in a long ass line, then they take your item and ask what is wrong then they exchange/fix.
    Apple ALWAYS leads with "there is nothing wrong with this" followed by "I've never seen this problem before" The last was in reference to the first gen mag cord fraying around the base, a problem so wide spread that they were forced to do a redesign mid cycle. I've never had Apple fix a problem or exchange an item without either paying a grip or being forced to call in managers to argue that yes indeed an item that does not work AT ALL is broken.
    Yeah, but the idea that I have to have two or three people ask me what is wrong, tell me nothing is wrong, and then make a fucking appointment to resolve a simple problem is ludicrous.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/wifi-ipad-meet-truconnects-cheap-pay-as-you-go-mifi/

18. Jr Mouse

That's weird. I have had Apple replaces several items of mine, including a Macbook battery that was a couple years out of warranty. Didn't hold a charge anymore and the guy at the store gave me a new one without making me pay a dime. I'm sure it went on my record and they wouldn't do it again for that laptop, but it still was a big plus.

Otherwise, have had them replace or fix several iPhones. Once with a 3G and twice with my 4. Only time I got rejected was a couple months ago when I took my 4 in because the home button has been spotty. The guy wouldn't replace it for free and wanted something like $129 to do so. Considering I am out of warranty and they had already replaced it twice, I didn't fight too hard that time.

I have heard experiences can vary depending on who you speak to. Some reps are more likely to hand out free replacements then others. Also with Applecare+ now being offered they are a little less likely to replace things out of warranty then they used to.

19. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

I got my iphone replaced after smashing the screen when I was drunk lol didn't pay a dime and was totally my fault.

20. blairh

blairh Senior member

I agree. However I doubt that will ever happen.