1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I've just been trying iTunes 10 on a friends computer at work, seeing if it's improved any since last time I used it a few years ago. One thing that got me straight away, the "iTunes Music Store", how come there's no bloody music? I see plenty of apps and games for iPhones and iPads, but there's no songs at all, not one!! :violin:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    thanks guys! i'm one of those stone-age types who has spent 8-10 hours a day working on a computer for the last 30 years but has no curiosity whatsoever about how they work or h ow to make them better. i want to turn them on and use them as a tool. in that way, the mac sounds ideal. on the other hand, we've got all these pc stuff (monitor, second hard-drive, etc), so I can switch out the box pretty cheap and with the savings, buy another ipad! stay tuned. good news is the old one hasn't died yet, so i can afford to think about it for a while. but i appreciate all of the advice, you guys are great. like the computer-literate kids i never had (my daughter is even farther behind than i am. damned liberal arts majors).

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

The hard part will be getting all your stuff over to the Mac. Once it's there, things work pretty well, though like any other computer, it will have good and bad days.

Look over the Switch 101 section at Apple to see what's involved: http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/

They also offer a $99 service to transfer your stuff over from a Windows PC, but I don't know how well that works.

You should also budget for whatever new software you may need. For example, if you use Word, and want to keep using it, you'll need to get Microsoft Office for Mac. For most other things like photos, music and web browsing, you can just use the stuff that comes with the computer --- the software included with a Mac is actually really good, unlike the crapware that fills up most Windows PCs.

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

foodguy, visit a Mac store and have somebody show you some of the features of the computer system (come to think of it, there's probably some good demos on the Apple website, look for anything OS X related). I enjoy things like speed and performance in a computer, but the awesomeness of the Mac operating system is the reason why I'll keep buying Macs. There's lots of features, and they all just make sense together, and the integration with all of my other gadgets really is, IMO, seamless.

The transition should be easy, there's just a few things that are different from windows that you learn quickly.

5. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i think iPhoto is great, mostly because I'm awful with photo editing. My wife is a Photoshop expert, but I have neither the time nor care to learn, but if there's a photo that's a little off, I just click the edit button and it pops up a few bars that I can play around with until I get the right adjustments and the majority of the time it makes the picture look much better than before.

6. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Got a new iPad today, unexpectedly. I was having what I thought was a minor problem, so I stopped by Apple to see a Genius. After I explained the problem, he said, "We'll replace it." I was stunned, but obviously pleased. :)

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

so you got the new updated one, or another of the ipad 3's?

8. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

The new updated one, which is what my old one was.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

No, they just refreshed the iPretina with the new dock connector and faster innards. Same screen though.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    1 person likes this.
  11. rohde88

rohde88 Senior member

I am strongly considering a surface for the emailing and word editing.

Ipad is great for browsing and media, but the incessant popups and lack of offline ability kill it for me.

12. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

You lost me with both of these. What do you mean?

13. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Same here. Could be trolling.

14. gort

gort Senior member

Going to sell my 3rd gen ipad and get an ipad mini I think.

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I will get the mini when my current 3rd gen bites the dust or if the mini with retina display comes out. The size of the mini seems perfect for my needs.

16. suited

suited Senior member

I purchased a 32GB ipad mini - mostly for watching movies while on vacation. After burning movies from my DVDs and putting them into iTunes it seems as though a single minute of video uses .014 GB of space, so a 90 minute movie would use about 1.26GB of space (of course this is based upon how you do the conversion in terms of quality of video vs file size). Just putting this out there for anyone that's interested in capacity. Let me know if you want the details of the conversion.