1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. blairh

blairh Senior member

I seriously considered the Nexus 7. It looks awesome. But after demoing the Kindle Fire, it was clear that the form factor was too small for magazines plus I would really prefer that almost extra 3" of screen. I am so happy with my decision. Retina display is just amazing.

I think the Nexus 7 will do well and ditto the 7.85" iPad. There is a strong market for tablets that can be used easily with one hand.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Glad you like the iPad 3. What version did you get?

Google really needs to get out there and start advertising the Nexus 7. I have not seen much media related to the device outside of the tech blogsphere and and that can only get you so far. One advantage Amazon has is they can advertise the Fire to everyone who visits their website. That's a lot of eyeballs to catch.

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

I got the base model. 16 GB wi-fi no LTE. I had a gift card so it totaled to $480 when you include tax.

Yeah, the lack of Nexus 7 ads is odd now that I think about it. Maybe they will unleash an ad campaign now that it's officially available online and at retailers.

4. Jr Mouse

I still wish I had skipped the LTE. Been largely useless for me so far. Have needed it a total of two times since I got the tablet and they were both in the same month.

I'm wondering if Google is banking largely on the tech nerd crowd for sales? Who knows.

5. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I tried to tell you...

6. blairh

blairh Senior member

That sucks man. Yeah, I don't recommend anyone get the LTE model unless they know for sure that they'll be using it. The way I see it, if you decide down the road that you want the LTE edition, it's pretty simple to sell your wi-fi only iPad on Craigslist and then get the LTE model.

Yeah, it's puzzling regarding the Nexus 7. My guess is that we'll see a print, tv, and online campaign by the end of the month.

7. Jr Mouse

Yup and a lot of people told me otherwise. I went with my gut at the time.

I am taking a trip next week to visit DC and then the beach out in NC. Figure illmactually get some real use out of the LTE then. Will that make the extra spent worth it? Who know.

My hope is that eventually hese devices come standard with LTE radios. No up charge on the hardware as it would be a default option.

8. blairh

blairh Senior member

I completely agree.

9. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

The lte iPad is a puzzling device. I figure anyone who owns a tablet has a smart phone that can tether legally / illegally for less than the service plan the lte iPad requires. That's how I and every one else I know does it. You always have your phone on you and can charge it in your car, office, home so battery life is not an issue.

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i just got back from europe and used my wifi pad and my iphone extensively. the pad was great for longer things (and reading the paper every morning -- just download at the apartment and carry to coffee and croissant). the iphone came in really handy for a couple of great apps and for maps and location. how in the hell did we ever travel before?

11. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Are you riding legal or illegal? My understanding of legal tethering is it is still $15 and I believe the speeds are not that good, certainly not as fast as LTE. I just do not see the value tethering.

12. Meis

Meis Senior member

+1 Actually, mine doesn't really ever get particularly warm... let alone hot or uncomfortable.

13. jpierceny

jpierceny Member

Got mine a couple months ago. Great toy..

14. bmathe02

bmathe02 Well-Known Member

Well it depends on your device. I am on sprint 4g WiMAX so it is slower then lte but if you have an lte device (sprint has 2 or 3 thou as of now lte service is non existent for them so have not upgraded just yet ) you will get the same speeds as your lte phone. And depending on which android phone (until apple realse an lte phone) rooting can be a simple task if you want to save the 15 bucks. Make sure you have unlimited data thou. Worst case your carrier throttles your speeds.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  15. smallfry

smallfry Member

Save your money because when you do buy it the ipad 4 will be out!

16. sns23

sns23 Senior member

But why buy the 4? The 5 will be out within a year of the 4. Just wait for the 5. But the 6 will be out shortly after the 5, so just wait for that . . . See the problem? Just buy one, use it, and be content with it.

17. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

I never use my iPad 3 anymore.

18. eg1

eg1 Senior member

What are you using instead?

I haven't found much use for it aside from watching old TVO episodes, Flipbook, Kobo and the CBC music app :bored:

19. alan

alan Senior member

I was a skeptic and figured I'd never use it but now I do all my browsing on it. Mainly it's because it's so much faster to start up than my laptop plus easy to carry and move

20. blairh

blairh Senior member

Faster to start up? Do you shut down your laptop when not in use? I keep mine in sleep mode virtually the entire time so it's instant on.