iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Don't get me wrong, I hate the current pricing for data that the carriers are charging. While "unlimited" is a dream we are likely to never get back, they do need to greatly up the amount of data you get on each pricing tier. Take Verizon who has a $20 plan for 1gig a month. No one would be complaining if that $20 gave you 3 to 5 gigs. At that point the entry level pricing becomes much more useful and honestly anyone using over that many gigs a month would be willing to pay a little more for it.

Furthermore, we should just be able to buy chunks of data from a carrier and use it on whatever device I wish. Why do I have to sign up for a separate data plan for all my hardware? Imagine a world were you could spend a certain amount of money for a chunk of data (let's say 5 gigs) and share that between your iPhone, iPad and whatever laptop you want to tether. The simplification of pricing done this way would be much more advantageous to the consumer.

Having said all this, I stand by my statement that you can't just make a blanket statement about how many hours of video you can watch. It really does depend on the video types and compression used by the services in question. I also take issue with the statement that "one cannot really use it." Your overall experience of data usage on the go is going to be much nicer on LTE then 3G. Considering they kept the pricing the same, it is not a bad upgrade to have.

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

that's so adorable!

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

I think the solution is pretty simple. Don't stream or download movies/tv shows over a cellular connection.

Most locations have a free or paid wi-fi connection. You can also prepare for wherever you may be going by adding movies onto your iPad that you download from home over your wi-fi connection. It's pretty simple to avoid downloading/streaming movies/TV shows over 3G/4G. Whenever I plan on traveling I always make sure to have a sufficient amount of movies on my iPad.

Most consumers will have no issues reaching their data plan limits as long as they are browsing the web, checking email, and watching the occasional YouTube clip.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's what I do, for the most part, but I still end up going over. Can't say this encourages me to rush out and get a new iPad that will help me burn through data faster. I'm feeling like there's already a lot of untapped potential in what I have.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Spotify has taken my data from 1.2-1.5gbs to 2.5-3.0. Topped out at 4.8 one month. I have unlimited so I really don't care

6. Jr Mouse

I don't know guys. I consider myself somewhat of a power user with my iPhone and I hardly ever go over 2 to 3 gigs a month. Usually a lot less. Sure it's my phone and not a tablet, but I wonder what you are doing to use that much data on the road? Do you not have Wi-Fi at home to supplement it? Between that and signing into random Wi-FI networks at coffee shops and work, it should cut down greatly on your data use.

Again, I am not saying the current pricing is fair as it's far from it.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Much easier to be frugal with data on a phone than an iPad, IMO. Totally different beasts. I'm willing to embrace the post-PC world Apple is trying to sell me, but data usage is a major barrier. I'm ready for the future, where I can watch any movie, anytime, instantly.

For me, the primary reason to have an iPad is the freedom it provides. When I have to worry about data usage or consider if I want to sit around in a coffee shop to download an app, it really harshes the buzz, man. Sometimes I just want to get something done.

8. Jr Mouse

No, I agree. You are right... The problem is with the carriers. They were just smart enough to see this coming and switched us over to data tiers from "unlimited" plans under the pretense that the average user never uses that much data anyways. While I agree with that for today, it won't always be true. In a few years time these plans are going to seem like the largest hindrance to the "post-PC" era.

9. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Fedex just called to tell me they're delivering a package tomorrow. :D

11. Jr Mouse

Anyone heard what the stock is supposed to be like at their local Verizon store?

12. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

if it's anything like before, it's limited and already earmarked for employee relatives & friends

13. blairh

blairh Senior member

If you are going to go with a 4G model in the States, isn't the Verizon one a must over AT&T right now? I keep reading/hearing in reviews that VZ has 300 4G LTE spots vs. AT&T's roughly 30.

14. Jr Mouse

Yeah, I was thinking about trying to hit a store in the morning but may just wait it out for my pre-order to ship April 2nd. My work schedule has been crazy and I would rather not be late in the morning over this tablet. At best, I would have time to hit a single store and hope for the best.

Depends. I have read that you can actually get faster LTE speeds with ATT because they are less saturated with devices. Plus the data speed on 3G is faster for ATT then it is with Verizon so your fallback in areas out of range would be better.

The big advantages of Verizon beside more LTE coverage are that they have a $20 1gig plan and are including the ability to turn it into a wireless hotspot. Of course once you hit the $30 plans, ATT wins as they give you 3 gigs vs 2.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

How much per month would you guys pay for truly unlimited data on a 4G iPad?