iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. blairh

blairh Senior member

Ah okay, thanks. That's an interesting theory. I have no idea if it holds true or not.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

I have heard this argument, but find it to be somewhat faulty in logic. Most people's use of the iPad 3 will be similar to how it was with the iPad 2. The only difference is you won't have to wait as long for things to load. Will this automatically translate to users deciding to download a lot more data on the go? I'm not so sure.

Having said that, I do believe as we move to LTE these data caps need to be raised. The minimum they should be selling you is around 5 gigs, but at a less expensive price point then the $50 a month it is now. I'm already paying for home broadband and internet for my iPhone. No way I am spending more then $20 a month on the iPad, even if I only sign up for it when I know I will need it.

3. blairh

blairh Senior member

I think we should see the embargo lifted tonight around midnight Eastern time for reviews. If memory serves me right the reviews pop up late at night for those of us on the east coast.

Got my trade-in credit from Amazon today. 48 hours after I mailed my iPad to them. Pretty tight.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Yeh stream an HD movie and that's your monthly 3GB allowance gone in an hour.

5. Jr Mouse

Depends on the service and the compression they use. You can't just make a blanket statement like that.

6. Jr Mouse

7. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

8. Jr Mouse

Read the review.

Honestly all this "incremental update" rhetoric that has been floating around makes no sense to me. The screen alone is a HUGE update. Add in the better camera, LTE, doubled RAM and improved processor I am not really sure what else one could ask for. The fact that they kept the battery life in the same range as the industry leading iPad 2 is amazing.

Apple just took a giant piss on the competition. The only players I see making headway at this point are those selling dirt cheap tablets like the Amazon Fire.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

9. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

I'm looking forward to seeing this screen, which was described as a "glowing piece of paper" lol

10. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

4g is not a new thing. A quick search on google shows plenty of people blowing through 2-3 gb without much effort. For $30 a month I would like to think I would not have to be worried about streaming an occasional show. $360 a year is lot of money to check emails and search the web. I just can't justify it. Now if it were unlimited that would be a different story.

If you do not mind me asking-Which iPad did you trade in? How much did you get for it?

11. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Really???? Full disclosure-I am going to get the new iPad as it is a good upgrade over my original iPad. That said I think you may be overstating the improvements a bit. My thoughts:

The screen-This is probably the biggest upgrade and is sure to look great.
    Camera-Meh. It's an iPad which is a nice video chat device but the size does not lend it to be ideal for taking pictures.
    A5 chip-Big dissapointment!! This really is not an upgrade, it was necessary to be able to have the retina display without a drop in performance. And that's the problem. The A5X solely and alone exists purely because otherwise the graphical user interface would stutter. And that's just it. It doesn't do anymore than that. It doesn't give us any additional performance. It's most likely the same GPU as utilized in the iPad 2 (except for the amount of cores).

I at least expected Apple to give us some sort of an improvement. I think they could have done two things for the A5X chip:

- Switching from architecture (from Cortex A9 to Cortex A15)
    - Increasing clock speeds

Both would be great options to give the iPad 3 a better performance over the iPad 2, especially when it comes to simple tasks like browsing or opening an app.

The Cortex A15 architecture gives us huge performance gains at lower clockspeeds. To give you an example: a dual-core 800 MHz Cortex A15 processor blows away a quad-core 1.3 GHz Cortex A9 processor.An increase in clock speed would also have been an option. It wouldn't give us quite the performance gain like with a Cortex A15 processor, but it would definitely make everything even smoother.It's really disappointing they didn't do anything else with the chip. I wasn't expecting a quad-core chip, but some kind of an improvement would have been welcomed. I digress...
    The form factor is pretty much the same as the iPad 2.
    The storage is the same. While I am fine with that people are really starting to clamor for 128 gb. In the future as more and more Retina apps and movies and pictures that are taken with the 5mp camera, storage will become more of an issue.
    Battery life is solid. This seems like a staple of Apple products.

I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. As I said I will be buying one myself and getting rid of my old iPad. That said this is not a redesign IMO and there are certainly additional upgrades they could have made to improve the experience.

12. blairh

blairh Senior member

I traded in my first gen 64 GB wifi only iPad. Amazon gave me $280 credit for it (like-new condition). That means of course I need to spend that money at Amazon, which is no problem for me.

Now, wanting to use that credit to purchase the latest iPad isn't entirely a given. Amazon itself does not sell iPad's. Every iPad they sell on their site is a third party seller. However some of those orders are fulfilled by Amazon. Furthermore some of the third party sellers have a long and steller rep so I have no qualms purchasing an iPad from them. The only question that remains is when those sellers will have new iPad's in stock and if they will be charging retail for said tablets. Hopefully I can secure a new iPad from one of these sellers in the near future.

I was a few hours off with my embargo lifting prediction. If you want to read a review I highly recommend the one at the Verge linked a few posts earlier. I also really like their video reviews.

Josh's review is exactly what I expected.

13. Jr Mouse

The iPad 2 was already the best "performing" tablet on the market due to Apple's optimization. It never had stuttering problems, web surfing was smooth as silk and apps opened quickly. The fact that they matched, or even slightly exceeded, that level of performance with screen as high res as the iPad 3 has, is a big ****ing deal.

I think you are getting too caught up in specs. More cores are nice, but it's all marketing speak if they don't translate into performance. Apple choose the mixture we are seeing in the iPad 3 because, right now, it offers the best mix of performance and battery life. Next year they will go with the next literation of their chipset that does this.

I will also say, that if Apple's claims of A5X's performance vs Tegra 3 end up holding true then I see no reason not to be excited about the "specs" here.

I agree completely with the storage issue and my biggest gripe is the fact that they didn't make 32 gigs the minimum level with the iPad 3. The only iPad that should be sold with 16 is the iPad 2. It's the one area that I feel Apple is really failing to provide the best possible product for the money.

Camera is just what it is. A big improvement over what the iPad 2 had. You may not care, but you can't pretend it's not a nice upgrade.

It would have been nice to see Apple be creative and try a new look for the iPad 3, but let's fact it. If it's not broke, you don't really have to fix it. These are sexy looking tablets.

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

Forgot to add this photo in my last post. So tight.

[​IMG]

15. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

I was only stating an example.

Streaming or downloading regular iTunes SD video content consumes around 1GB an hour. 3 hours of this and that's your monthly 3GB allowance all used up. To quote a typical AT&T data plan, "If 3GB is exceeded, an additional 1 GB is automatically provided at a rate of $10 for each additional 1 GB. ....watching high quality movies on 4G LTE could get very expensive indeed.

I suppose this would be OK, if one has a truly unlimited data package, NO asterisks *. Does such a thing exist, a real honest unlimited 3G or 4G data plan, NO bandwidth throttling, NO fair usage policy, NO capping, NO overage charges?

Which actually makes me think, what's the point in having 4G LTE high-bandwidth, if one can't really use it? Facebook or Styleforvm might load a second or so faster, but that's about it.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012