• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPad 3

KurtS90

Reaction score
I was under the impression Jail-breaking voids the warranty?

~Kurt

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I was under the impression Jail-breaking voids the warranty?
~Kurt

Well only if they find out about it! If something goes wrong, just back up your data and restore it. Seriously, take like an hour total. There's so much cool **** you can do with jailbreaking. Yeah, there are risks, but they're minor.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not really that bothered by the iPad's browsing shortcomings, as it gets the job done most of the time. Like I said, I love mine, though more for the other apps than the browsing (there are some incredible music production tools). Really I'm just annoyed at the boldness of Apple's claim that it's the best way to use the Internet.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

1. Just for YouTube: You can't load a range of qualities (and inexplicably, you can turn HQ off in the web version but not the app version?). You can't link to specific times in a video. On the web version, you can't even show all the videos from the posters you're subscribed to.

With the App it loads the best quality for the device you are on. I'm cool with that. With the web version, are you talking viewing Youtube.com as the normal desktop site on your iPhone or iPad? You can do this, easily like you can with Slate.com. As far as I know it's the same as the desktop experience here, but I could be wrong.

2. This isn't just Hulu.

I agree it sucks, but the only sites that I know that do this are Hulu and some random Appreciation sites. I wish Hulu wouldn't do this, but what can we do? I must admit I pay for Hulu Plus on my PS3, but I only did this because I am experimenting on living without a cable bill. So far it's been hard, but I have managed.

3. If the site programmer was thoughtful enough to include it, which is hardly always the case.

The vast majority do. Considering you brought up Slate.com as an example of a site that doesn't, I am left to wonder if your opinion on this is clouded by the fact you never bothered to look for this option.

4. Large parts of the internet still use it :. not the optimal browsing experience.

It's phasing out and living without it will only get less painful over time. There is a reason Adobe gave up on the dream and why it was not up until late last year that we say portable devices that could handle FLASH without making you want to rip your hair out. At least we don't have to view FLASH animated ads...

5. What IM app do you use? Last time I tried to use AIM, it forced you to be logged in all the time you had the program, which is self-evidently preposterous.

Never had that problem. Have used a variety of IM programs. Right now I use Meebo and FB messenger. Work great. Maybe you didn't have it set up right or faced a bug? I don's use AIM currently, so who knows. Give it another shot.

6. Two. I mean seriously, I just tried this. Loaded aldaily.com in one tab, opened a story from National Review in another tab, switched back to aldaily and it had to reload.

That's strange. Whenever I use my parents iPad they have a ton of tabs open and I have not seen this problem.

7. Um, I haven't seen a popup in years with Firefox.

That's great, but doesn't defend your original argument. You were the one who claimed popups are an issue with mobile Safari on an iOS device. It's not.

It doesn't even matter if these problems can be worked around. It's hardly the oft-quoted "optimal browsing experience".

I agree it's not "optimal," but it is a nice experience. A lot of it I like better then on my laptop and a lot I do not. Don't get so caught up in marketing talk.

^ When people stopped bitching about the big things (OMG how am I able to type w/o a keyboard?  It's impossible), they move on to little things.  

This.

Well only if they find out about it! If something goes wrong, just back up your data and restore it. Seriously, take like an hour total. There's so much cool **** you can do with jailbreaking. Yeah, there are risks, but they're minor.

The risk of voiding your warranty or bricking your $500+ device are not "minor." It happens to people. Personally I don't see the need to Jailbreak, but can understand why other do.

What annoys me are Jailbreakers who can't understand why someone would want to keep their device stock. I have a friend here in town like that and brings it up every time he sees my iPhone.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score
Ditch slate.com on your iPad and use their dedicated free app instead. It's very good.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

This.
The risk of voiding your warranty or bricking your $500+ device are not "minor." It happens to people. Personally I don't see the need to Jailbreak, but can understand why other do.
What annoys me are Jailbreakers who can't understand why someone would want to keep their device stock. I have a friend here in town like that and brings it up every time he sees my iPhone.

Jesus Sally, pull down your panties will ya! They're pulled way too far up your crack. Yes, they are minor. The only possibility of getting fucked is if your phone gets bricked before you can restore. And that's a RARE occurrence.

KurtS90

Reaction score
I have not felt the need to jailbreak the iPhone that I been posting from... It gets my e-mails and has financial apps that work compared to my previous Blackberries. Only other app I have is turn by turn navigation, but it's the same 3rd party app I used with berries.

~Kurt

KurtS90

Reaction score
I have not felt the need to jailbreak the iPhone that I been posting from... It gets my e-mails and has financial apps that work compared to my previous Blackberries. Only other app I have is turn by turn navigation, but it's the same 3rd party app I used with berries.

~Kurt

blairh

Reaction score
Speaking of apps, SF needs its own dedicated iPhone app. I hate navigating this site on my iPhone 4. Constantly need to zoom in on things. Or at least a mobile site.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jesus Sally, pull down your panties will ya! They're pulled way too far up your crack. Yes, they are minor. The only possibility of getting fucked is if your phone gets bricked before you can restore. And that's a RARE occurrence.

We can argue all day on this, but I don't care that much. :)

Honestly, I don't see the need to do it. A lot of the old jailbreak "features" can be done on the iPhone by default these days. Multitasking works and we now have a half decent notification system. I have zero desire to steal from a bunch of App developers and side-load their work onto my device for free, so that's not a selling point for it either. The big thing I might care about is tethering, yet I get by without it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Speaking of apps, SF needs its own dedicated iPhone app. I hate navigating this site on my iPhone 4. Constantly need to zoom in on things. Or at least a mobile site.

+1000.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

We can argue all day on this, but I don't care that much. :)
Honestly, I don't see the need to do it. A lot of the old jailbreak "features" can be done on the iPhone by default these days. Multitasking works and we now have a half decent notification system. I have zero desire to steal from a bunch of App developers and side-load their work onto my device for free, so that's not a selling point for it either. The big thing I might care about is tethering, yet I get by without it.

Well its not about arguing. I'm right and you're wrong. And its not about theft. There are just a whole host of new and interesting things you can get the phone to do through jailbreaking. Real timesavers and tweaks that just make it a more pleasurable experience.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well its not about arguing. I'm right and you're wrong. And its not about theft. There are just a whole host of new and interesting things you can get the phone to do through jailbreaking. Real timesavers and tweaks that just make it a more pleasurable experience.

People **** up their iPhones in the jail-breaking process. It can and does happen. I don't believe the risk is "minor," but I am not saying it's "major" either. Take that for what you will.

Most people I know that have jailbroken their phones did it for one of three reasons. FLASH support, tethering or the ability to download apps for free. Those were the main reasons, for them. I'm glad that you are not using it to steal apps, but lets not pretend it's not out there in force.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads