1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

iPad 3

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Every one of these can be fixed through jailbreaking.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
  3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Meh. They're bulky IMO. I'd rather just get a separate bluetooth keyboard and take it along whenever I needed it. Unless you're a serious business traveler, the likelihood of you needing it all the time is minimal.

4. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Forgot to add that the iP3 shipped today.

5. dusty

dusty Senior member

Somehow I doubt jailbreakers are the customers they're referring to.

6. Jr Mouse

:confused:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  7. dusty

dusty Senior member

1. Just for YouTube: You can't load a range of qualities (and inexplicably, you can turn HQ off in the web version but not the app version?). You can't link to specific times in a video. On the web version, you can't even show all the videos from the posters you're subscribed to.
    2. This isn't just Hulu.
    3. If the site programmer was thoughtful enough to include it, which is hardly always the case.
    4. Large parts of the internet still use it :. not the optimal browsing experience.
    5. What IM app do you use? Last time I tried to use AIM, it forced you to be logged in all the time you had the program, which is self-evidently preposterous.
    6. Two. I mean seriously, I just tried this. Loaded aldaily.com in one tab, opened a story from National Review in another tab, switched back to aldaily and it had to reload.
    7. Um, I haven't seen a popup in years with Firefox.

It doesn't even matter if these problems can be worked around. It's hardly the oft-quoted "optimal browsing experience".

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ When people stopped bitching about the big things (OMG how am I able to type w/o a keyboard? It's impossible), they move on to little things.

1 person likes this.
  9. Willie5566

Willie5566 Senior member

Imteresting. I am typing this on my iPad with 4 tabs currently open with no problems. I commonly have multiple tabs open.

My wife has the smart cover on her iPad and I think it works great. Protects the screen and does not add a lot of bulk. I will most likely get one when I get the 3.

10. blairh

blairh Senior member

The iPad isn't perfect but no device is. Any personal gripes I have about it are nothing when you keep in mind all the things the device does have going for itself.

The only issue that you brought up that I would agree is a (somewhat) serious one is the lack of ad blockers. I forget how invaluable something like AdBlock is in Chrome until I use my iPad at times. But is it enough to really piss me off? Personally, no.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

God damn it. Jailbreak the fucking thing and install ad blocker. Its not that hard people.

12. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I was under the impression Jail-breaking voids the warranty?

~Kurt

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Well only if they find out about it! If something goes wrong, just back up your data and restore it. Seriously, take like an hour total. There's so much cool shit you can do with jailbreaking. Yeah, there are risks, but they're minor.

14. dusty

dusty Senior member

I'm not really that bothered by the iPad's browsing shortcomings, as it gets the job done most of the time. Like I said, I love mine, though more for the other apps than the browsing (there are some incredible music production tools). Really I'm just annoyed at the boldness of Apple's claim that it's the best way to use the Internet.

15. Jr Mouse

This.

The risk of voiding your warranty or bricking your $500+ device are not "minor." It happens to people. Personally I don't see the need to Jailbreak, but can understand why other do.

What annoys me are Jailbreakers who can't understand why someone would want to keep their device stock. I have a friend here in town like that and brings it up every time he sees my iPhone.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  16. blairh

blairh Senior member

Ditch slate.com on your iPad and use their dedicated free app instead. It's very good.

17. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Jesus Sally, pull down your panties will ya! They're pulled way too far up your crack. Yes, they are minor. The only possibility of getting fucked is if your phone gets bricked before you can restore. And that's a RARE occurrence.

18. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I have not felt the need to jailbreak the iPhone that I been posting from... It gets my e-mails and has financial apps that work compared to my previous Blackberries. Only other app I have is turn by turn navigation, but it's the same 3rd party app I used with berries.

~Kurt

19. KurtS90

KurtS90 Senior member

I have not felt the need to jailbreak the iPhone that I been posting from... It gets my e-mails and has financial apps that work compared to my previous Blackberries. Only other app I have is turn by turn navigation, but it's the same 3rd party app I used with berries.

~Kurt

20. blairh

blairh Senior member

Speaking of apps, SF needs its own dedicated iPhone app. I hate navigating this site on my iPhone 4. Constantly need to zoom in on things. Or at least a mobile site.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012